By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Jumpin said:

Mario Kart DD was a pack-in game; so its sales don't count.

But anyway, Xbox as a platform has limited appeal and it reached that limit this gen due to Sony screwing up; no one outside of the UK or US will want its successor console unless it is for some pricing screw up on the Sony side again. Although I think Wii U is going to trounce Sony and Microsoft more thoroughly next generation than it did this generation if only due to the head start release which they didn't have this generation.

When was MK:DD a pack-in game? And yes, pack-ins count.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
prayformojo said:
crissindahouse said:
what did people predict half an year before the wii was released as lifetime sales? i would say many thought it will flop badly. i never predict something but if i would predict something then not before i still not know what that wii u thing really is and before i have tested it by myself.

The Wii was a SMASH at it's e3 before launch. People were going nuts for the thing and it was wowing everyone at the show.

hmm i found this thread, it was one year earlier but still crazy if you look how all analysts thought wii will say a lot less than ps3 and 360.

http://www.pvcmuseum.com/games/vs/market-analysts-console-sales-predictions.htm

Yeah, I love reading things like that.  Just proves that while these "analysts" may be good at predicting some things, the video game market isn't one of them.

prayformojo said:
My prediction? The Wii U is Nintendo's Gamecube all over again. The thing people forget about Nintendo is, they've really only ever had two commercially dominant systems, the NES and Wii. The SNES was beaten by Sega for most of it's life cycle and the N64 and Gamecube were both completely destroyed.

The only reason the Wii was such a commercial success is because it was the "it" thing to own for a few years. People who didn't know what a video game was bought it because it was "cool". Nintendo failed, somehow, to realize that trends like this implode in on themselves and made the error of going "all out" with casual gaming. They didn't think about the fact that by doing so, they were going to lose the core which are the ones who will ALWAYS be around. So basically, the casual left the party when the party wasn't "cool" anymore, and the core were offended and moved on to Sony and Microsoft. Now, who's left? Basically, just Nintendo die hard which were the ones buying and supporting the Gamecube and there aren't even close to enough of them to make a difference next gen. So I predict a gloomy, dead last for them.

Ah, only two posts.. Big surprise there, since this is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on the site. 

What on earth give you any indication that this console will sell anywhere near Gamecube? I mean, other than the fact that this is what you WANT to happen? Please, look at the games revealed already. The monster that is NSMB alone will ensure that Wii U doesn't touch Gamecube in futility. 2D Mario games sell consoles, it's a fact. Look at all the Nintendo consoles that have had 2D Mario games: NES, Super NES, and Wii. It is not coincidence that those also happen to be their most successful ones

Then you've got the mega hits Just Dance and Wii Fit hitting as well, and the inevitable Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc. Also, Nintendo actually has a strong lineup of third party titles this time, with Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden, etc. I know I'm contradicting myself a bit here as I said in a pervious post that no one knows how the Wii U will sell, but there is absolutely no way Nintendo only manages 22 million with this console.

Your second paragraph just reeks of the same bs propaganda I've heard spouted constantly for years from the mainstream gaming media, developers, and forum dwelling nerds. The reason Wii stopped selling was a lack of games at the end. Wii had quality games - it sold. Wii stopped having quality games, it stopped selling. Period. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. "Teh cazuals", these mythical gamers that all the self proclaimed hardcore love to talk about to make themselves feel superior, have nothing to do with it. That's because they do not exist. They, along with "casual games," are a MYTH, created by the industry to attempt to separate gamers into demographics and as a piss poor excuse to explain the Wii's success. You also contradict yourself by saying Nintendo lost the core gamers, but also that they only have the "diehard Nintendo gamers." Well which is it? Are Nintendo diehards not core?

Now, I'm not saying this console will surpass or even reach Wii levels of success. I actually think it'll be closer to NES level. But still, claiming Gamecube level success, with this lineup so far, is so presumptuous and unlikely that I can only conclude that this is merely your wet dream of what you WISH would happen, not what you think could happen based off any evidence or logic.. I also love how sure you are that Sony and MS will beat Nintendo, when their consoles and prices have yet to even be unveiled, let alone a single game for them..

Jumpin said:
prayformojo said:
My prediction? The Wii U is Nintendo's Gamecube all over again. The thing people forget about Nintendo is, they've really only ever had two commercially dominant systems, the NES and Wii. The SNES was beaten by Sega for most of it's life cycle and the N64 and Gamecube were both completely destroyed.

The only reason the Wii was such a commercial success is because it was the "it" thing to own for a few years. People who didn't know what a video game was bought it because it was "cool". Nintendo failed, somehow, to realize that trends like this implode in on themselves and made the error of going "all out" with casual gaming. They didn't think about the fact that by doing so, they were going to lose the core which are the ones who will ALWAYS be around. So basically, the casual left the party when the party wasn't "cool" anymore, and the core were offended and moved on to Sony and Microsoft. Now, who's left? Basically, just Nintendo die hard which were the ones buying and supporting the Gamecube and there aren't even close to enough of them to make a difference next gen. So I predict a gloomy, dead last for them.

What is this "Nintendo core" that you're talking about that has "gone over to Microsoft and Sony"? You need to explain that statement further, because it is a strange one to make. If anything, it is the opposite is true; the Wii is the first Nintendo home console since the SNES that mostly all Nintendo fans bought. I know I am getting a Wii U, and I would say there is no indication that most others won't either since it doesn't have the problems of the N64 or the GameCube; and the Wii and DS both proved extra horsepower is not that big of a sales factor anymore. Also, the biggest selling games in the industry are all Nintendo games except for Call of Duty - only Nintendo consoles get Nintendo games.

I never said "Nintendo core". I said the "core" gamer which are gamers who aren't rooted into a brand but rather core gaming in general. Nintendo fans, people who bought the Gamecube, they are always going to be there for the big N. But that's not enough to win a generation. The Gamecube only sold 20 some odd million units and finished last. There simply aren't enough of them to have an impact needed to win out.

In order for Nintendo to do what it did this gen, it's going to have to get all the core gamers on their side and my argument is, they threw them away by basically ignoring them for the last 6 years. Take a look at their e3 shows. Remember that Wii Sports Resort debacle? Or how about Wii Music? They basically ignored the Halo,Killzone,GOW,COD,Ico and Uncharted demograph...IE "core". They did this because soccor mom's and the like were all buying into their products and they foolishly threw all their resources that way. When that whole trend died, and the casual went away, what happened? They tanked because there was nothing left.

If the core gamer left, and the soccor moms moved onto the next fad (ipad/iphone), what's left? Nintendo fans. And Nintendo fans aren't nearly enough.

Cobretti2 said:
prayformojo said:
crissindahouse said:
what did people predict half an year before the wii was released as lifetime sales? i would say many thought it will flop badly. i never predict something but if i would predict something then not before i still not know what that wii u thing really is and before i have tested it by myself.

The Wii was a SMASH at it's e3 before launch. People were going nuts for the thing and it was wowing everyone at the show.

I dont knwo what crazy land you live in, but even when I wen tto preorder my Wii a month beofre Launch the guys selling it in the shop where makign fun out of it saying it is udnerpowered and the name was tupid.

Both true facts, but I wanted it because of Zelda and Red Steel at the time.

Do you not remember the e3 when it was finally playable? When the doors opened, there were people acutally SPINTING in mass to play the thing. It was widly popular at the show and everyone was loving it. It was singlehandedly the most coveted thing at the show that year, period.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
MDMAlliance said:
"The guy from MS who said that WiU is little more than a 360 is correct." based on what? What you just said? A lot of what you said is BS to begin with.

It's a HD-Wii and doesn't even have a Kinect-level gimmick to sell it......yet.

It's a 360 that plays Nintendo games. That's it. Don't expect much/anything to come from the extra screen.

A 360 that plays Nintendo games?  Sounds like a seller to me.  I seem to recall everyone saying the Wii would fail.  While I don't really like the Wii very much, I can't deny the amount of consoles sold.

prayformojo said:
Cobretti2 said:
prayformojo said:

I dont knwo what crazy land you live in, but even when I wen tto preorder my Wii a month beofre Launch the guys selling it in the shop where makign fun out of it saying it is udnerpowered and the name was tupid.

Both true facts, but I wanted it because of Zelda and Red Steel at the time.

Do you not remember the e3 when it was finally playable? When the doors opened, there were people acutally SPINTING in mass to play the thing. It was widly popular at the show and everyone was loving it. It was singlehandedly the most coveted thing at the show that year, period.

Definitely true.  However, the main reason that WiiU wasn't a huge hit at this year's E3 was due to the fact that Nintendo's press conference did a terrible job of representing it.  For example, they focused on Batman AC instead of 3rd party games that haven't released yet, such as Assassin's Creed 3, Darksiders 2 and Aliens; that Wii Fit U video was pretty pathetic; the amazing looking Project P-100 was completely absent;  and they finished the show with a freak'n fireworks display for Nintendoland instead of a great teaser from one of their popular franchises.  Many people who actually went hands-on with the games at the show were largely impressed with the offerings, however.

More to the point, thinking that WiiU will be the Gamecube all over again is highly erroneous.  The Gamecube came off of a modest selling console, it launched after the PS2 already had an enormous head start (in both sales and popularity), and it had nothing to differentiate it from the competition.  Not to mention that it never had a 2D Mario title, which really is quite important for a Nintendo system.  None of these will be issues for WiiU.  Seriously, it would really take some doing for any of the big three console makers to only achieve Gamecube-level sales ever again; everyone is just far too popular these days...

Consumers this holiday won't care about Nintendo's E3 press conference.  They're only going to care about a system with some great games and an affordable price.  So far, it seems WiiU will fit that bill. 

Persistantthug said:
Mnementh said:
Persistantthug said:

Nintendo has had to resort to begging for 3rd party support, and they won't even get half.  This shows that 3rd party devs and publishers have little faith in Nintendo....honestly, I can't blame them.  Nintendo has always been for kids and devs and publishers aren't interested in Nintendo's BS censorship or strict bs guidelines (Nintendo denied BINDING OF ISAAK).  Not only that, but they, as well as everyone else knows that their grandma and soccer mom fanbase is going to dissipate and the Wii U will be lucky if it can achieve GAMECUBE unit numbers.

I also take that bet. I bet the WiiU sells more units than Gamecube. If you are not trolling and really believe what you say, you would take that bet.

I tell you what I would be willing to do..

I'd be willing to bet the Wii U doesn't surpass N64 type numbers.

Basically, I think the Wii U will fall somewhere between the Gamecube and an N64......basically.

N64 was a bit more than Gamecube. Before you was talking about Gamecube. So do you stand to your claim, or do you admit, that you was exaggerating?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Roma said:
i'm predicting the next Nintendo home console (after WiiU) will have doomed predictions

I think nobody will doubt this.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

archbrix said:

Mnementh said:

Nintendo launches this time often in all three regions at the same time. But as the launch is likely near to the holidays, a slight later release would mean, that it misses one region with christmas-sales. But I on the other hand take the risk, that Sony and MS don't release their next-gen offerings in 2013. That would bring the Wii-U a second holiday of sales, I think that makes reaching the milestone easy. I think the risks are well balanced between us.

So, if you want to stay to your claim, we can bet, if the Wii-U will have reached 15M worldwide sales according to VGChartz, as the next-gen console of Sony or Microsoft is released. If the price is above 350 €/$ or below 250 €/$ in US or Europe, the bet is off. We make a thread about the result, and the loser has to link to this thread with a statement like 'xxx was right' in his sig for say 3 months. That is better than ... a penis-avatar. What do you say?

Alright, here's the deal:  My original claim was based on NeXtBox/PS4 not launching until a full year after WiiU.  So if we just say in a full year of availability after WiiU's release in all three regions, then you're on.  That way, if Microsoft surprise launches in April 2013, I'm not screwed, and if Microsoft/Sony waits until holiday of 2014, you're not screwed.  It's the most fair this way.  However, keep in mind that I'm saying "a full year after it has released in all three regions".  Therefore, if it launches this November in Japan/NA and not until next March in Europe, then it's a full year from March.  It's supposed to launch worldwide this year, however, so this is likely a non-issue.

So I'll reiterate:

"Archbrix predicts that if WiiU launches for $299 (or less), it will sell at least 15m WW (according to Vgchartz data) in its first full year of availability in all three major regions (NA/Europe/Japan).  Mnementh says not."

I accept the stakes you proposed (3 month statement in the losers sig admitting defeat), so if you agree to this criteria we'll post the bet in our sigs ASAP.  Sound good?

Sound good about the full year, but you're back on $299. I think 320 or 350 is a real option for Nintendo right now. I already proposed a price-span of 250-350 for setting limits on the bet.