By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should i trade in my 3ds for a PS Vita?

Should i trade in my 3DS for a Vita?

Yes 172 36.44%

No 153 32.42%

Keep 3DS and wait for more games to come 94 19.92%

see results 52 11.02%

Total:471

If you don't like any 3DS game out at the moment, then you're probably not going to like what's to come either. I would say yes, the Vita is far more suited to your tastes (I've seen what games you play on PSN). Still, I think you should wait a bit for the Vita to get some momentum, a price cut and a specific game like FFX HD.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
MikeRox said:
Jumpin said:

To state a few obvious points:

1. I am not sure what world exists where you can trade in a used 3DS for a Vita.
2. There are way more games available for the 3DS, and way more games scheduled for release on it.
3. The quality of games on 3DS is higher than on Vita; just look at review scores.
4. Saleswise, the 3DS is solid, but the Vita isn't looking like a system that developers might consider supporting by sometime next year.

When it comes to RPGs, I would hazard an educated guess and say that the 3DS will succeed the DS in being the top platform for the genre this generation.

I'd argue that the PSP was king of RPGs last gen and if you've not had a PSP or played the RPGs, the Vita is a great place for them (much nicer screen) and so Vita is already the main handheld RPG system at the moment IMO.

I'm honestly struggling to find much on 3DS though I do need to get Kid Icarus. (Already got Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart along with about 12 other 3DS games).

The Vita sadly isn't much better right now, but I think to say the quality of games are better on 3DS is just plain wrong. There's nothing on 3DS that can touch Uncharted, Unit 13, Wipeout, Gravity Rush etc. Just like Sony currently has nothing to touch Mario 3D Land. But depending on the genres you like. I think most people would actually find more of interest on Vita than 3DS, and this is coming from a life long Nintendo fan.

As someone who owned and played alot of both the DS and PSP RPG's of last gen id say DS wins hands down.

First it had more RPG's then the PSP, and 2nd it had in genereal more higher quality RPG's

As someone who owned an R4i and a PSP with cfw, and having "tried" over 600 DS games and over 200 PSP games, I'd say the PSP wins hands down. First it had better graphics, more immersive games, PSOne classic rpgs, FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX, I'd say the PSP had higher quality games and by a large margine over the 3Ds. With the Vita getting PSOne support and FFVII confirmed as being playable on the Vita when PSOne support releases with Firmware 1.80, the Vita will be king of RPGs.

NobleTeam360 said:
Ajescent said:
NobleTeam360 said:
smroadkill15 said:
What would you get if you bought a Vita?

Gravity Rush looks really fun.

If you are only getting this game for the Vita, I look forward to your "My Vita is gathering dust" thread

Um ok?

How can you be lost? You only said one game for the Vita...you only own one game for the N3DS...I don't see how that confussed you.

This is the first time I have heard the DS being the King of RPG's.... it's always been PSP?!

Exile1987 said:
This is the first time I have heard the DS being the King of RPG's.... it's always been PSP?!

No, round these parts (UK) it's always been DS. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, World Ends With You, Tales Of, Chrono Trigger...to name a few off the top of my head.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

There's not exactly a lot to play on the Vita either, and I'm not sure if it's going to get much more support where the 3DS is getting a whole slew of games.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Conegamer said:
Exile1987 said:

No, round these parts (UK) it's always been DS. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, World Ends With You, Tales Of, Chrono Trigger...to name a few off the top of my head.

Both were and are great JRPG platforms.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=DS&genre=Role-Playing&minSales=0&results=200
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PSP&genre=Role-Playing&minSales=0&results=200

That's why a JRPG fan should own both imo. I prefered the DS as well, but you can't really name the Tales of games as an advantage for the DS. The 3 Tales games on DS never made it to the west. Etrian Odyssey, Mario & Luigi, Pokémon, Golden Sun plus the mentioned TWEWY and SE's FF/DQ/CT remakes would be better choices to show the strength of the DS JRPG library.

I don't think the JRPGs on the DS and the PSP are that great to be honest, the best ones are re-releases.

okr said:
Conegamer said:
Exile1987 said:

Both were and are great JRPG platforms.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=DS&genre=Role-Playing&minSales=0&results=200
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=PSP&genre=Role-Playing&minSales=0&results=200

That's why a JRPG fan should own both imo. I prefered the DS as well, but you can't really name the Tales of games as an advantage for the DS. The 3 Tales games on DS never made it to the west. Etrian Odyssey, Mario & Luigi, Pokémon, Golden Sun plus the mentioned TWEWY and SE's FF/DQ/CT remakes would be better choices to show the strength of the DS JRPG library.

Yeah, both are great platforms for JRPG's, and hopefully the 3DS and Vita will be the same. 

I had a Tales Of game for the DS, though it was in Japanese as I imported. Didn't realise they never made it westwards. But I forgot about the Nintendo RPG's and Etrian Odyssey! I feel bad now...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

amp316 said:
There's not exactly a lot to play on the Vita either, and I'm not sure if it's going to get much more support where the 3DS is getting a whole slew of games.

Yep, 2012 retail launch schedule for the Vita currently:

July - NOTHING
August - NOTHING
Septermber - NOTHING
October - NOTHING
November 2 - Need for Speed Most Wanted
December - NOTHING
TBA Fall - Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified
TBA Q4 - Playstation Allstar Battle Royale
TBA Fall - Sly Cooper - Thieves of Time
TBA Fall - Streetfighter vs Tekken
TBA Fall - SIlent Hill: Book of Memories

That's 6 retail games for the rest of the year, next one is in November.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.