By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "No plans to continue Resistance"

Is dropping Resistance a good idea?

Yes 138 56.79%

No 65 26.75%

I just wanna see the results 39 16.05%

Total:242
Zuhyc said:

FUCKERS KILLED THE FRANCHISE!! Sony/Insomniac never treated the franchise like it should. Then again, I don't want anyone outside Insomniac to create new games.

R:FOM: Amazing game! The atmosphere is unbelievable, story is fun, great weapons, ...
R2: Too cod4 like. This did not fit the franchise at all (despite great reviews). Good story and co-op though, the game really made me curious to see the ending of the franchise.
Retribution (PSP): Pretty good. Gameplay wasn't the best but the story added something to the universe.
R3: Great gameplay, but the story is the worst of the 3 main games. So many unanswered questions from the previous games. I finished it with mixed feelings, I do not feel the story is over. But it deserved at least 2 million sals.

Burning Skies: See me care. The American invasion was already told in R2 and a book (The Gathering Storm). No need to play through the game when you know everything that happens is futile anyway, the US is getting overrunned. There were some much more interesting settings for the game (like Europa wanting to liberate Russia from the Chimeara. Grayson was also spotted in Moscow).

So much potential after the first game, I think both Insomniac and Sony didn't know how to handle the franchise. They should have served their fans instead of making a COD clone.

How exactly were they supposed to treat the franchise?  To me, Resistance seemed like a placeholder title buying time for Killzone to get ready.  It did a decent job, but reality is FPS has been oversaturated, and Sony probably has to wonder if it is even worth competing in that arena now.  Halo is iconic, and Microsoft snatched up Gears of War, which is the only other competitor this generation in the shooter category (FPS/TPS have similar appeal).  Outside of that, there is Modern Warfare.  Everything else is marginal.  Oh, Sony has tried other things, like Dust, and MAG.  But what if the market just isn't there?  If people into console FPS end up making XBox the platform of choice, then not much Sony can do with it.  

Sony can try to carve out niches for their franchises, which Resistance could fit into.  But, it is now pretty much Call of Duty as the main thing.

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

No need to worry. Sony can easily replace it with a new IP, or two.

In the FPS arena?  If they do anything, it will be on the next console.  Sony is going with Dust though, which may have promise for FPS fans actually.  It links with EVE Online.

the series is super lame anyways, and no Killzone should continue, it has great potential , Resistance on the other hand.... nope.

Millenium said:
spurgeonryan said:
Does Resistance not sell over a million on a regular basis. Besides the Vita version.

Pos Game Platform Year Genre Publisher N.A Europe Japan Other Global
1 Resistance: Fall of Man PS3 2006 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 1.55 1.65 0.14 0.71 4.06
2 Resistance 2 PS3 2008 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 1.09 0.77 0.10 0.36 2.32
3 Resistance 3 PS3 2011 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 0.47 0.43 0.05 0.18 1.13
4 Resistance: Retribution PSP 2009 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 0.25 0.33 0.05 0.20 0.82
5 Resistance: Burning Skies PSV 2012 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 0.04 0.03 0.00 0.01 0.07

Not the most extensive explaination, but you can see the decline clearly setting in, and the handheld ports not really making a impact.

To be fair, Resistance: Burning Skies isn't selling that much more weakly than Resistance: Fall of Man, in terms of first few weeks - and Fall of Man was released near Christmas. It's a fair comparison, since the PS3 had only just launched, and the PS Vita has only just launched (relatively speaking). Comparing with PSP in 2009 or PS3 in 2011 is unfair, as those systems had already built up huge install bases by then.

Note that this is from a person who doesn't own a single Sony console, and never has. Burning Skies could actually do reasonably well, given time - 3 weeks in is not a fair time to be judging sales when it's on a new console and isn't a massive system-seller.

I really enjoyed my time on Resistance 2, actually. The co-op play was really, really awesome - and the competitive multiplayer wasn't dreadful (although I hated the Wraith, such a stupid weapon). It was a very 'pick up and play' shooter which I enjoyed, the weapons were lightweight and easy to use.

I see this as a good move, though. The series just wasn't pulling its weight. I kinda feel the same as some other people in this thread, that Sony should ditch Killzone as well. Neither of them really lit up the sales charts, although they both had their fans.

I'm hoping SSM's new shooter is going to be a big hit for Sony. I hope it'll do to shooters what God of War did to hack 'n' slash. Games like that had been done before - but the level of polish, the interesting mythology around it and the really tight, fun gameplay made it really take off. Something like that for a new FPS would be awesome. I think Killzone could have a place in this new lineup as well for people looking for something a little more hardcore/weighty, and Guerilla are clearly attached to the IP.

I wonder what will become of Socom. The Vita could really do with a Fireteam Bravo 2 to help it along, but Zipper are gone. Hmm.

Around the Network

I've always enjoyed resistance. Resistance FoM was the first game I bought in ps3 and I put a lot of time into that game. Resistance 2 I play all the time. I've put so much into the multiplayer and the single player I've completed several times. Resistance 3 was the best of the 3 IMO. The single player was fantastic however the multiplayer was a let down. Reducing the maximum players online from 60 to 16 was stupid. Adding perks and kill streaks to make it more like call of duty was a big mistake too.

I think it is time to end the franchise though. Resistance 3 was a good ending and it's time to move on. The fps market is far too over saturated now and Sony are better off directing resources to Killzone or anither new IP.

And many rejoiced that Day...

NintendoPie said:

If I here any of this crap from you today or any day for that matter, we're gonna have a problem.

capiche?

Andrespetmonkey said:
NintendoPie said:

If I here any of this crap from you today or any day for that matter, we're gonna have a problem.

capiche?

What's wrong with you Mr. GrumpyPants?

I was basing this off le poll of le thread.

And don't tell me to capiche!

Good choice iof you ask me. Resistance 1 was meh, 2 was OK, 3 was OK meh and the portables games are also meh.

Plus the series is in a serious decline. Give up resistance sony and born a new Ego Shooter Franchise.