By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: "No plans to continue Resistance"

Is dropping Resistance a good idea?

Yes 138 56.79%

No 65 26.75%

I just wanna see the results 39 16.05%

Total:242

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/25/sony-has-no-definitive-plans-to-continue-resistance

The trials and tribulations of the Resistance franchise have been well-documented. After a couple of PlayStation 3-exclusives came to the PS3 in 2006 and 2008, Resistance 3followed in 2011. It was excellent, but it didn’t sell well. The series’ first foray into the Vita space was a complete miss, however, and it’s contributing heavily towards bringing the series down and begging the question: should it have been made at all?

Resistance has always found itself in a tenuous position, encapsulated by Insomniac’s abandonment of its own series. And now, according to the UK version of the Official PlayStation Magazine, Sony itself isn’t sure how the franchise will proceed.

OPMUK asked Sony’s Daniel Brooke about the future of the series, to which he answered: "the Resistance Franchise has been exciting to work on, but as for the future we have no definitive plans.”

This isn’t exactly surprising; Burning Skies may have been a fine example of a shooter on Vita, but its inability to tell a story or make you care about the characters or events was decidedly un-Resistance. But it’s truly a shame that we may never see more Resistance, considering how polished and well-executed Resistance 3 was.

Around the Network

Thay should also ditch Killzone
they are boring as hell imo

Well, he actually doesn't say much. Im my opinion, give the franchise for Sony Bend to create Resistance Retribution 2 and they will make a great game.

so they are resisting!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Significant_leap said:
Thay should also ditch Killzone
they are boring as hell imo

I agree.

They have far better franchises they can work with.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
I think it is a bad idea. Look at Nintendo. They have kept Metroid going for years. Its not like it was a big seller, just a fan favorite.

Instead of just dumping it for twenty years like kid Icarus they should sell it to Nintendo.

Metroid was absent for long 8 years during 1994-2002, not a good example!

And this happened after a game that many consider one of the best ever, super metroid, not a game that was not well accepted like Resistance Burning Skies.

So no, Nintendo with Metroid is not a roll model for that.

spurgeonryan said:
I think it is a bad idea. Look at Nintendo. They have kept Metroid going for years. Its not like it was a big seller, just a fan favorite.

Instead of just dumping it for twenty years like kid Icarus they should sell it to Nintendo.

Metroid is a constant multi-million seller and a unique experience.

Resistance is a average FPS, a genre with tons of competition.

I'd say Sony get out of a genre that is too full of competition in the first place and focus on unique games from its other exclusive IPs.

spurgeonryan said:
Does Resistance not sell over a million on a regular basis. Besides the Vita version.

Pos Game Platform Year Genre Publisher N.A Europe Japan Other Global
1 Resistance: Fall of Man PS3 2006 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 1.55 1.65 0.14 0.71 4.06
2 Resistance 2 PS3 2008 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 1.09 0.77 0.10 0.36 2.32
3 Resistance 3 PS3 2011 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 0.47 0.43 0.05 0.18 1.13
4 Resistance: Retribution PSP 2009 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 0.25 0.33 0.05 0.20 0.82
5 Resistance: Burning Skies PSV 2012 Shooter Sony Computer Entertainment 0.04 0.03 0.00 0.01 0.07

Not the most extensive explaination, but you can see the decline clearly setting in, and the handheld ports not really making a impact.

what a shame, i hope they bring it back later. I hate when they forgot their IPs

So they're giving in to Nintendo, Microsoft and Apple already??? Well that's lame ...

EDIT: Ohhhhh, they meant the SERIES Resistance. Ohhh, my bad. I should read the actual OP's, sorrrrryyyyyy.