By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is it just me or 3DS is... Magicians's Quest announced! New Scans for Layton vs Ace Attorney! Toriko First Screens, it's a... RPG?

Tagged games:

How would you rate 3DS 2012 in Japan

Bad 14 3.28%

Meh 26 6.09%

Good 58 13.58%

Awesome 325 76.11%

Total:423
Michael-5 said:

Yea, unless you want to start on the GBA Fire Emblems, the 3DS is an excellent title to start on. I think Famitsu gave it 36/40, which is really good. Paper Mario is also an excellent RPG, but it's just not as good as Super Mario RPG for the SNES.

Man you're missing out. GBA-3DS are excellent for turn based strategy RPG's, it's the reason why I got my DS (Advance Wars) and waiting on 3DS (Fire Emblem). Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle are excellent too. Some with PSP, many regard Jeanne D'Arc as one of the best titles on the system and it's not that different from Fire Emblem.

You won't get the next Metroid, but you're dying to hear about it???

As for a 3DS redesign, I'm just being hopeful. GBA has a huge redesign when they made the GBA SP, but the change from DS phat to DS lite wasn't that dramatic. Still, I just don't want a system where the screens touch. Probably going to get a 3DS XL anyway, which does feature a small redesign, but anyway....I'm being hopeful.

Third Parties? I'm not interested in too many third party games yet, I think they are waiting for the install base to grow before we see anything big yet. I'll get Tales of the Abyss and Resident Evil when I get my 3DS, and maybe Bravery Default, but I don't see anything special from third parties just yet.

Yeah, Nintendo really did a fine job in this latest Fire Emblem, you can tell just by looking (at the game and at sales... and also the artwork, the boxart is fantastic, for example)

I was never a big fan of strategy rpgs - most likely cause I never played them much and because I thought they would cause high doses of stress. But it was something I wanted to address and Pokemon Conquest seemed to do the job nicely. So I tried it, really liked the game. Not the best ever, but very complex and charming and no way stressful as I feared strategy games were - starcraft 2, for example, melts my brain everytime. So now I'm just willing to pass to the next level, and Fire Emblem is the game I chose to do it.

As for Metroid, no no! I said I won't get [from Nintendo] is a Zelda in the same way as the DS Zeldas... because now the best screen is the top one. They wouldn't make a touch only zelda, not using the upper screen for the action, which is a shame, imo, cause I really loved the mechanics that this offers. But wahtever they announce it's a must buy, Zelda is a series that can go no wrong.

Metroid I will probably buy whatever they release too, but I prefer a 2D one. Just like 2D Mario before, Nintendo is now in debt with the world for a real 2D Metroid.

Around the Network
MANUELF said:
Michael-5 said:

Why wasn't Fire Emblem givin a visual representation? Didn't that game sell better then half the games on that list, plus every other Fire Emblem game at 400k?

I believe it was because the thread was made after it released

Exactly. It was, this thread was made in the hype after the 3DS XL and NSMB2 were announced at Nintendo Direct.

Fire Emblem was already a reality by then

Well, 3DS has now two potential games from japanese makers... Circle of Mana and the Conduit, let's see how they develop.

Let's update this thread with this weekend's REAL news, though.

1 - Bravely Default fifth demo arriving on wednesday

(I'm going to post this news in the official thread, but you can read it here)

2 - Japanese software chart revenue for August

Japanese software revenue chart for August 2012

September 9th, 2012 Posted in General Nintendo, News, Posted by Valay | No Comments »

Below is the Japanese software revenue chart between July 30 through August 26. The data was collected by Enterbrain and reported by Famitsu.

01. Nintendo: 28.5%
02. Square Enix: 26.0%
03. Namco Bandai: 14.8%
04. Pokemon: 5.3%
05. Konami: 3.2%
06. Capcom
07. Atlus
08. Spike Chunsoft
09. Nihon Columbia
10. Ubisoft

I love how Pokémon is a separate entity, lol. Nintendo complete domination, if you take into consideration Square number is because of DQ (both X and TW)

3 - Some new scans for BD and Toriko

BD, again, I'll put the info on the OT.

But Toriko surprised, it's not an action game, it's an RPG. That definitely lowers its chances of getting released west, imo. But can improve its sales in japan, maybe. See, here's the battle screen. If I haven't before, if you like manga, try toriko... you'll be in for a treat!

spurgeonryan said:
Hohly Crow @ those Monster Hunter scans! Is it supposed to reach Japan on the 3DS this holiday?

No, no. MH4 is scheduled for the Spring 2013 in Japan - which means march-june.

This holiday juggernaut is going to be Animal Crossing (and NSMB2 too).

And now for the sad news of the weekend

Capcom: No plans for E.X. Troopers localization right now

September 9th, 2012 Posted in 3DS, News, Posted by Valay | No Comments »

We’ve been covering Capcom’s stylish Lost Planet spin-off E.X. Troopers for quite some time now. Sadly, it looks like the game will be staying in Japan.

Writing on the company’s official forums about possible localization, Capcom’s Christian Svensson said:

“Guys, I have no news to share on that front right now. Sorry.”

In a different thread, Svensson noted that there aren’t “plans to bring it Westward at this time.”

Source 1, Source 2

I wouldn't trust Sven very much...he's the MH senior teaser guy. But this might be true. Which is a shame, I was looking foward to this game. Now we can only hope it sells well and change capcom's mind about its potential. And hope they fire Sven too.

AKB 48+ME boxart

This game is huge... as a dating sim with teen girls in bikinis and stuff.
Since I have no idea how that would transfer to a game where you join the band, now comprised of totally non sexualized big headed girls... I won't even begin to predict sales.
But probably will do well, since that shovelware of a game called Run for Money is selling great (still) and just like this one is based on a famous property. So shovelware is not a problem for the 3DS userbase! We take them all! We're manly gamers!
Samurai Chronicles boxart released too
 First one did great... 150k. But this one is, acording to wiki
Sengoku Musou Chronicle 2nd (戦国無双 Chronicle 2nd) is the revamp of Samurai Warriors Chronicles. According to the initial news report, it is being made to answer the positive fan responses of the original title and is being revised to accommodate their requests
So just an updated version. Senran Kagura proved revamps could sell even better than the original. But judging by the great sales it got last year (being a launch game helped a lot too), it's very hard. Still, any 60k to me it's a success. Releases next week in japan, so we'll soon know.

Around the Network

We need an E.X. Trooper petition right now.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Michael-5 said:
Augen said:
DieAppleDie said:
SE, please we want more RPGs, make it happen!!!!!

Ah, the SNES days when Square cranked out quality RPGs like no ones business. Think those days are long gone sadly.  Would like more RPGs from anyone on 3DS.

People always say Squaresoft cranked out RPG's like mad on the SNES, but in reality DS and GBA got just the same amount of RPG attention. No doubt 3DS will be the same. Maybe combined Square, and Enix put out more games back then, then they do now, but now we have many more JRPG devs.

The only difference is that SNES opened with quality RPG's right out the door (FFIV came out only months after the SNES's release) where GBA, DS, and now 3DS are taking a bit of time.

Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, and Bravery Default are coming... it's only a matter of time before 3DS develops.

I think back then those games were often cutting edge and industry events.  For me Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and Secret of Mana are still high water marks in those series.  I've enjoyed games since, but 16-bit era holds special place in my heart as pinnaclt of many series I adore.

Bravely Default is one of my top titles watching as it feels like a Square game of old from what I've seen.

MANUELF said:
Michael-5 said:

Why wasn't Fire Emblem givin a visual representation? Didn't that game sell better then half the games on that list, plus every other Fire Emblem game at 400k?

I believe it was because the thread was made after it released

Yea, but so was Pokemon, and a few other games on the list.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

VicViper said:
Michael-5 said:

If they did that with Animal Crossing (or let you install the game off the cartridge so you can get the best of both worlds) I might pick it up. AC was an awesome game, but it's not something I want to boot up every day. However if I could install it and have in built in....then I might turn the game on more often.

But how can you not want to boot the game every day??? You town might have dry weeds all around if you don't... *gasp* Noooo, never :P

(not as much, but seeing those weeds was so painful lol... it's probably the reason I'm very afraid to revisit my town now, even for a glimpse)

I don't have Animal Crossing for Wii or DS, but my gamecube version...always had weeds.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Augen said:
Michael-5 said:

People always say Squaresoft cranked out RPG's like mad on the SNES, but in reality DS and GBA got just the same amount of RPG attention. No doubt 3DS will be the same. Maybe combined Square, and Enix put out more games back then, then they do now, but now we have many more JRPG devs.

The only difference is that SNES opened with quality RPG's right out the door (FFIV came out only months after the SNES's release) where GBA, DS, and now 3DS are taking a bit of time.

Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, and Bravery Default are coming... it's only a matter of time before 3DS develops.

I think back then those games were often cutting edge and industry events.  For me Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and Secret of Mana are still high water marks in those series.  I've enjoyed games since, but 16-bit era holds special place in my heart as pinnaclt of many series I adore.

Bravely Default is one of my top titles watching as it feels like a Square game of old from what I've seen.

I agree with that, but people aften associate SNES with a large quantity of JRPG's when I think in reality GBA and DS have slightly more.

Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG are the two best JRPG's from Square IMO, and Final Fantasy had a strong point on the SNES as well. However I did love Golden Sun for GBA.