By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 121k PS3's sold globally (Week of June 9th, trend continues)

What explains it?

New Casual Customers: Spo... 40 18.87%

New Core Customers: Max Pain and friends 103 48.58%

Replacements 36 16.98%

Blu-Ray 30 14.15%

Total:209
CGI-Quality said:

Fixed. 

OT: Not sure what the deal is. Either we aren't tracking things right (doubt that), people are upgrading from older models (slightly doubt that), or people are downloading more and picking up used ttitles.

Still, not much of an issue. 

It's hard to believe we're at a point where new games don't matter. That was my "issue" really, I was surprised that with so few big hitters like before (100k openings we used to have), so many consoles are being bought, and I wanted to understand why using sales data.

Looks like without numbers of digital sales or 2nd hand game sales, we're really out of tools. But, I did provide the retail sales list for US, and there was enough there to justify 30k in the US. Who knows, maybe it's the same for EU. Maybe I'll make the list.

What I mean is that there were alot of older titles that, odds are, are being bought by new owners (previous owners would likely have bought them already).

With all your logic CGI, it's curious how the poll leans in favor or new Core customers. What does that tell you, that they aren't applying your logic.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Eh, at the tail-end of a gen, this result doesn't surprise me (especially this gen). The 360 launched in 2005, the Wii and PS3 2006. It's time for some new hardware (although big hitters will still do well - CoD, Gears of War, Halo, The Last Of Us, God of War.....).

With all that, it's curious how the poll leans in favor or new Core customers. What does that tell you, that they aren't applying your logic? Maybe it isn't that simple, and some people don't see it as easily as you do.

happydolphin said:
CGI-Quality said:

Fixed. 

OT: Not sure what the deal is. Either we aren't tracking things right (doubt that), people are upgrading from older models (slightly doubt that), or people are downloading more and picking up used ttitles.

Still, not much of an issue. 

It's hard to believe we're at a point where new games don't matter. That was my "issue" really, I was surprised that with so few big hitters like before (100k openings we used to have), so many consoles are being bought, and I wanted to understand why using sales data.

Looks like without numbers of digital sales or 2nd hand game sales, we're really out of tools. But, I did provide the retail sales list for US, and there was enough there to justify 30k in the US. Who knows, maybe it's the same for EU. Maybe I'll make the list.

What I mean is that there were alot of older titles that, odds are, are being bought by new owners (previous owners would likely have bought them already).

With all your logic CGI, it's curious how the poll leans in favor or new Core customers. What does that tell you, that they aren't applying your logic.

Why pay full price for new games when you can buy older ones new or used for much cheaper. given how many exclusives sony releases every year, there are a lot of games to choose from while you wait for the newer games to drop in price

and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't put much faith in the software sales on VGC, especially outside of US/UK and JP. 

Honestly if I was a new PS buyer, I would just buy PS+ and save some money. There are like 12 games given to ps plus users now including high quality stuff like LBP2, Infamous 2 etc. Fantastic deal overall

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Also HappyD, most of the recently released games are American oriented games that do a lot better on the 360 in comparison to the PS3.

M.U.G.E.N said:

Why pay full price for new games when you can buy older ones new or used for much cheaper. given how many exclusives sony releases every year, there are a lot of games to choose from while you wait for the newer games to drop in price

and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't put much faith in the software sales on VGC, especially outside of US/UK and JP. 

Honestly if I was a new PS buyer, I would just buy PS+ and save some money. There are like 12 games given to ps plus users now including high quality stuff like LBP2, Infamous 2 etc. Fantastic deal overall

Quite true. So, at this point guys, it's not a good idea to judge system sellers in retail sales, since at this stage in the console's life, it has alot of value above and beyond sales of new retail games.

Funny thing is, as a consumer I'm aware of that (you know why), but looking at the data I'm just so used to looking at retail sales that the reality of it escaped me. Having said that, maybe I'm not so uncommon given the poll results.

I'm glad I asked.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Please don't tell me you're naive enough to use polling data as proof of anything concrete. 

Hehe, no, that's not what I meant. I meant it's proof of the views of certain folks, not of reality. With that, see what I meant in my post, it should make sense.

NintendoPie said:
Or it could be that they are waiting on the forever lost games: The Last of Us and The Last Guardian.
But I also doubt that......

How is the last of us a forever lost game?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Also, the PS3 had the highest software sales of all consoles. People are just buying old games.

Plenty of reasons. Free online, it's now more reasonably priced, good bundles available, good value for money, blue ray and above all, the amazing catalogue of games- third party and most importantly first party exclusives.

happydolphin said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Many people I know get PS3s & then get 2nd hand games (these won't be shown in the software sales data)

At this point in the consoles lifecycle many great games can be had for cheap by doing this.

It's a sad reality.

Damn, I knew I forgot an option in the poll. I'm actually one such person, for all my consoles. I rarely buy games new (can't afford it).

The circle is now complete. 

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey