By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Jimmy Fallon vs E3 Last of Us demo...exactly how much of it is scripted?

Which demo was scripted?

Both of em, no one was playing either 39 32.23%

E3, it's a massive deal,... 13 10.74%

Jimmy...it's Jimmy's au... 10 8.26%

Neither, just small, tiny... 11 9.09%

None of it, since it's t... 47 38.84%

Total:120

Numerous journalists, web sites, reviewers and developers have said that demo wasn't scripted and that it can be played multiple ways. I'll take their word for it for now

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
Numerous journalists, web sites, reviewers and developers have said that demo wasn't scripted and that it can be played multiple ways. I'll take their word for it for now

Yes, but as this poll is proving, there are still doubters.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
Player1x3 said:

The only thing that was scripted is the haters reaction

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

nen-suer said:
Ajescent said:
Player1x3 said:

The only thing that was scripted is the haters reaction

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I'm glad they didn't show any other method to play that portion...I want to figure that out myself :P

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
Ajescent said:

So here's a question for you.

For those of us who saw the E3 demo and then the Jimmy Fallon Demo, you will notice that they looked VERY similar even down to a few minor details. So it begs the question, exactly how much of the Jimmy demo was scripted and more importantly the E3 one? 

OPM has done a side by side comparison of the two 

OPM concludes that whilst the two are identical, there are noteable minor differences, which suggests that the play style was scripted to get the best effect, doesn't stop me from being disappointed.

You are dissapointed because ND wanted to show the same thing of E3?

The only thing scripted is the initial patrol of the "evil dudes".  The game director just wanted to show the same stuff as with the E3 demo, that is why the play style is so damn similar.  You can see how he is actually waiting to get shot so that people see how Joel reacts to gun-fire.  No other game has that kind of reaction to gunfire, because the protagonists are some kind of a bullet sponge.

At the beginning, the evil guy was in the same position as it was on the E3 demo, because that is his "normal patrol"; and that section was played exactly as the E3 demo, so the scene is the same.

You can tell that the game will be very different if you want to, because it is just plain stupid to pick up things while everyone can spot you.  The best course of action would have been to sneak behind the furniture, and try to kill everyone stealthy.

If you stand in a location when the AI detects a useful item, Ellie will pick it up.   It just happen that the guy went to the same room, so she grabbed the brick. THEY WANTED TO SHOW THAT.

The AI is actually trying to flaking you, as you can see at the first fist fight.   Remember where Joel was at first, then everyone saw he entered the room.....what would have been the best course of action of the evil dudes??  The AI is trying to close the 2 possible ways of exiting the room.  So when Joel wanted to exit the room thorugh the other end, there was a guy ready to kick his a$$.

ND want people to see what they intended to show with the demo, that is why they are playing it in the same way; with minor modifications because he is not a cyborg which can repeat every movement exactly the same as before.

I really dont see what is the problem in that.

EDIT: I just sign up on OPM uk, in order to write the same in the comment lol XD

Ehh im not convinced yet they should have done it differently in my opinion if it wasn't scripted.

Mad55 said:
Ehh im not convinced yet they should have done it differently in my opinion if it wasn't scripted.

Like mentioned above..multiple media outlets have already played the same level differently. There is no reason to doubt at all.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

CGI-Quality said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Mad55 said:

Like mentioned above..multiple media outlets have already played the same level differently. There is no reason to doubt at all.

I've come to the conclusion that The Last Of Us will be one of those games that will honestly shock the industry. For as much praise as it gets, it still has its share of doubters and no amount of proof seems to silence it.

Read through my 3EYOND The Last Of Us Thread. So many outlets have crushed the doubt long ago. Guess they aren't screaming loud enough!

lol I actually read all the media reactions in that thread :D very useful. Yeah I'm starting to think the same as you, people are going to be in for a real shock when the game comes out. heck I believe all this but I am certain even I will be shocked with the things I will experience in the game. 

What are the chances that even after playing the game there will be people that claim scripting? At least until they play it a second time

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

i would say you can play in different ways but maybe it is scripted how the enemies will react to your different playstyles. as example he hides with ellie where the wardrorbe is and looks through the open door and the same enemy is walking exactly the same way in both videos. if it would be 100% not scripted he wouldn't walk exactly the same line. when he comes out of the room after he fought against that guy (who was exactly at the same place) the same guy is standing behind the same couch exactly at the same point. why isn't he maybe anywhere else in the room? would be huge coincidence.

but sure, you could go back to the other room where the wardrobe was and kill the couch guy out of this room. then the enemy would have to react different.  no clue but i'm pretty sure you can at least play 2-3 times through the game with different situations

maybe the demonstration is scripted to provide to show exactly the same to show people the different situations as examples for the game but when the people at e3 played it, it was an "unscripted" version.