By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 overtakes the 360 in total sales?

Jessman said:
LOL sorry this is so off topic "Everyone want PS3" reminds me of that scary movie 2 dude when they cut his head and takes his brain out

LOL ... I won't comment on that Crazy statement, but if what he's saying is true, how in the devil do I keep seeing a small hill of PS3s everytime I go to Best Buy? Maybe everyone wants one, but are too scared to approach those stacks ... 

Around the Network

LOL yes, i agree go do that, and i must say, i really like your rightly spelled username.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

madskillz said:

It's really no use in trying to reason with someone who won't listen to accurate information. I'd rather run my noggin into a brick wall and let you spew your propaganda, that's not even loosely based in reality, than debate with you. For you to just overlook facts being presented your way is just marvelous. I wish I could be that blind ...

LOL, I let it go now because I think Crazzyman is actually a Sony hater, like the people who created the SDF. Even if he isn't, the effect is the same.

@madskillz,

It's really no use in trying to reason with someone who won't listen to accurate information. I'd rather run my noggin into a brick wall and let you spew your propaganda, that's not even loosely based in reality, than debate with you. For you to just overlook facts being presented your way is just marvelous. I wish I could be that blind ...
OK, JUST answer me one Question. =)

Why is BAD to compare 2nd year January PS2 sales with 2nd year January PS3 sales?

I compare PS2 year of 2001 to PS3 year 2008. And ALL i CARE is SALES for THESE years, NOTHING more. Why is THAT bad? Why NOW i can`t compare sales. Just take 2001 and compare it to 2008?

I need to know. Thank you. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

jjseth said:
Mummelmann said:

Bash me all you like, it's a fine point and you know it! What will move 360's? Please tell me, I'm dying to know.

What will move 360's? No more RRoD would be a good start. Big games coming out this year that appeals to more then just FPS fans would help too as well as a huge price drop that they can't really afford.

@ JJseth

The 360 is moving as much as the PS3 (just not in Japan) with the RROD and all. Just give it a few weeks, maybe a month, and watch what the numbers look like. And an MS price cut on the horizon, sales will pick back up.

The bottom line is - the PS3 is too expensive and really needs more exclusive games to sell. That's what worked for the PS2. Folks wouldn't mind spending the money if the games were there. Right now, there's a couple good PS3 exclusives, but not enough to really move systems. What's really moving system is the BR aspect. Sony is touting the devil out of that ... and folks are responding. However, are they buying games?

If someone can buy a much cheaper 360 and get the same, if not better, gaming experience on the 360, folks are gonna go for the 360. And based on the close others numbers, that's happening.

Right now, Sony is losing a ton of money just to keep up with MS and their measly price cut. Next week, we'll see how good - or bad - the companies are doing. The holidays helped Sony big time, but I think Sony fans were declaring victory over the 360 a Wii bit too early. 

Around the Network

lol 2 crazzymans

ITS GETTING CRAZZZZZZZZZZEH

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

CrazyMan said:
I really think the PS3 will fail in the long term. Xbox360 is just to much of a powerhouse. I might just have to go pick one up.

ROTFL ... I  really, really need my meds this morning ... CrazyMan, FTW! 

FishyJoe said:
madskillz said:

LOL, I let it go now because I think Crazzyman is actually a Sony hater, like the people who created the SDF. Even if he isn't, the effect is the same.

Good morning, FishyJoe. Unfornately, this is not an act. No one, not even SDF, could make this crap up! 

Mummelmann said:
Sometime mid 09. Sales won't be as sludgy as now forever, despite the best wishes of Vgchartz' finest best wishes... 360 seems almost unable to move regardless, having released majorly anticipated and good games on a string and lowered their price right before they hit.
If Halo and Forza + price drop won't send a rocket up MS' ass, then nothing will (maybe if they halved the price though...)

Bash me all you like, it's a fine point and you know it! What will move 360's? Please tell me, I'm dying to know.

Well since August it looks like the 360 has outsold the PS3 by around 800K World Wide. Since the last PS3 price drop they have sold nearly the same amount.

What will move 360's. In addition to a great deal of new software the fabulous lineup from the end of 2007 has not been pulled from the market.  It is not just the software that coming that sells consoles, but also the software available. I would say the software available is even more important.

Then throw in that of the 2 consoles the 360 is far better positioned for a signifigant price drop this year.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

It's happening halfway through 2009 at the earliest.

I'm honestly not sure if it's happening at all, though. The 360 is going to be very close, or even above the PS3 in sales this week, and that's before the inevitable price cut we'll definitely be seeing within the next few months.

It's obviously too early to say which one will end up on top, but right now I'd say the chance of the PS3 never passing the 360 is over 50%.