By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 overtakes the 360 in total sales?

@madskillz,

1. Sony was out the gate first and facing no real competition.
LOL, PS3 is doing BETTER then PS2, so what is your point?
2. Sony had tons of exclusives, including the GTA series, for years, which is the best selling PS2 franchise
name those games for 2000-2001, and i will name exclusive games for 2007-2008. Otherwise, YOU FAIL.
3. Sony had a much deep library due to the PS1's library.
No it don`t because of PS2 and PSOne? LOL.
Right now, I don't see Sony with any of that. The PS brand and the Blu Ray aspect are cool points, but just keep watching the WW sales. It won't be as easy as you think.
Then YOU are just BLIND.

@thekitchensink,
Not that there's any point arguing with you, but the PS2 was seen as the 'cool' system to have by the general public. The PS3 is not.
Are you DUMB? PS3 is COOL system. EVERYBODY WANT PS3. The end.
The 360 has had some bad press, but nowhere near the amount of the PS3.
What BAD press PS3 had in 2008? You think it WILL? LOL.

360 is seen as the 'cool' HD console to own in general, and the Wii is the same for casuals.  PS2 had both of those markets to itself when it came out.
Show me games in HD like KZ2, MGS4, FFXIII, R2, HR, GT5 on x360? FAIL. LBP will appeal to casuals. Agree, wii takes som casual people, BUT NOT all.
PS3 and 360 will likely sell mostly the same amount all year.
Just like people were saying, that ps3 will end in 2007 with 6-7 mln. DREAM ON.
Sqrl,
PS3 and PS2 LTD from launch graph look similar also,
HOW this effect sales on 05th January 2001 for PS2 and 06th January 2008 for PS3? What is YOUR POINT? we speak about SALES of the BEGINING of YEAR.
The only problem is that for the first 34 weeks of the PS2's life it was only out in Japan, whichwas quite different for the PS3 which was out in the US and Japan for 19 weeks before it launched in EU.
HOW this is a PROBLEM for SALES of the BEGINING of YEAR for BOTH systems?
In any case I think a rational look at the time it will take the PS3 to overcome this lead should lead most people to understand just how amazing it was for the Wii to catch up and pass the 360 in ~9 months.
Wii is a TOY for most buyers, not a console.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
@madskillz,
2. Sony had tons of exclusives, including the GTA series, for years, which is the best selling PS2 franchise
name those games for 2000-2001, and i will name exclusive games for 2007-2008. Otherwise, YOU FAIL.
Right now, I don't see Sony with any of that. The PS brand and the Blu Ray aspect are cool points, but just keep watching the WW sales. It won't be as easy as you think.
Then YOU are just BLIND.

@thekitchensink,
Not that there's any point arguing with you, but the PS2 was seen as the 'cool' system to have by the general public. The PS3 is not.
Are you DUMB? PS3 is COOL system. The end.

CrazzyMan, we've had this argument a dozen times ...

First off the PS3 is tracking below the PS2's sales ( http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=PS3&reg3=All&weeks=104 ) 

And secondly, when you compare the PS3's sales to the PS2's sales in every region you can see why they're so close (the PS2 was released 9 months earlier in Japan than in North America and Europe).

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&weeks=104

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=PS3&reg3=America&weeks=104

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Total+Other&cons2=PS3&reg2=Total+Other&cons3=PS3&reg3=Total+Other&weeks=104

Beyond that I don't think you understand what madskillz was saying ...

Sometime mid 09. Sales won't be as sludgy as now forever, despite the best wishes of Vgchartz' finest best wishes... 360 seems almost unable to move regardless, having released majorly anticipated and good games on a string and lowered their price right before they hit.
If Halo and Forza + price drop won't send a rocket up MS' ass, then nothing will (maybe if they halved the price though...)

Bash me all you like, it's a fine point and you know it! What will move 360's? Please tell me, I'm dying to know.

The PS3 could pass the 360 as early as Christmas 2009, but not much earlier than that, unless it pulls a "Wii" and starts outselling the 360 handidly, which it could do, if games that come out this year are as big as they are supposed to be.

MaxwellGT2000,

Most anticipated games are on other consoles,
yeah, DREAM ON.
I don't even think they have a chance in the US anymore due to bad press and everyone has adopted 360 and Wii,
What BAD press PS3 had in 2008? You think it WILL? LOL.

This year will see a $250 X360 Premium and 10 million consoles sold. PS3 will remain at $400 for the first ½ of the year, but drop to $300 in the holiday season. Ps3 will sell around 9 million during 2008.
WHO need a CRAPPY console with average games in 2008? Only CHEAP people.

HappySqurriel, SO WHAT? WHO CARES?
HOW THIS effect sales on 05th January 2001 for PS2 and 06th January 2008 for PS3? What is YOUR POINT? we speak about SALES of the BEGINING of YEAR.
WE SPEAK ABOUT SALES for THE BEGINING of 2nd YEAR.
PS2 and PS3 launched BOTH at different time. BUT NOW we speak about THE BEGINING of THE YEAR. ARE YOU BLIND? BEGINING.

@HappySqurriel,

simple question.
Why it`s matter, for sales of the begining of the year for BOTH console, that they were selling before in different way? IF they NOW selling in same way per week.
Because... ???

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
The PS3 could pass the 360 as early as Christmas 2009, but not much earlier than that, unless it pulls a "Wii" and starts outselling the 360 handidly, which it could do, if games that come out this year are as big as they are supposed to be.

Only if those games came out now. They will not boost sales of the PS3 until they release. With that in mind and nearly all of those games slated until 4th qtr. Only exception I believe is MGS4 and it is slated for summer. For PS3 to make up anything on the 360 until the 4th qtr MGS4 will need to provide a bigger bump than Halo 3 did. In other words not likely.  A game whos previous iteration sold about 1.5 million in NA and the game before that sold about 2 million with a much larger install base of consoles doesnt cause the NA public to run out and purchase a bunch of consoles.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

LOL sorry this is so off topic "Everyone want PS3" reminds me of that scary movie 2 dude when they cut his head and takes his brain out

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Mummelmann said:

Bash me all you like, it's a fine point and you know it! What will move 360's? Please tell me, I'm dying to know.

What will move 360's?  No more RRoD would be a good start.  Big games coming out this year that appeals to more then just FPS fans would help too as well as a huge price drop that they can't really afford.  

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

CrazzyMan said:

@madskillz,

Then YOU are just BLIND.

It's really no use in trying to reason with someone who won't listen to accurate information. I'd rather run my noggin into a brick wall and let you spew your propaganda, that's not even loosely based in reality, than debate with you. For you to just overlook facts being presented your way is just marvelous. I wish I could be that blind ... 

I really think the PS3 will fail in the long term. Xbox360 is just to much of a powerhouse. I might just have to go pick one up.

By the end of 2007    1) optimistic ps3 sales: 2) realistic ps3 sales: 3) pessimistic ps3 sales:
October21,
10 weeks left.

1.24M Japan     2.0-2.5M Japan 75k-125k weekly.      1.75M Japan 50k weekly.     1.5M Japan 25k weekly.   
2.13M America 4.0-4.5M America 185k-235k weekly. 3.5M America 135k weekly. 3.0M America 85k weekly.
1.70M Others    3.0-3.5M Others 130k-180k weekly.    3.0M Others 130k weekly.    2.5M Others 80k weekly.

Folklore, Ratchet, Uncharted, Haze, HS, Warhawk, Lair, GT5:P, TC4 + UT3, CoD4, AC, HL2, GH3, RB, B5, A51  -> PS3 has games this Christmas.
Will these games move ps3, time will show.