By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 overtakes the 360 in total sales?

Game Over! said:
rocketpig said:
MrMafoo said:
Omac said:
People are saying later on PS3 is going to pull off better graphics.... I don't think so, with it's lackluster non shared ram and not as good GPU... The hard to program for crappy SPU CPU. PS3 will never overshadow 360 in the graphics department or online functionality.

I try to ignore purely fanboy rhetoric, but this one I have to comment on.

The PS3, in its architectural infancy, has already surpassed the 360. Ratchet and Clank could not be done on the 360. At specific types of math (not all), the PS3 is 20-30 times faster than the 360. As people learn how to tap into that power to produce a better gaming experience, you will see things you thought were not possible.

I keep hearing about what can’t be done with the PS3 (and then see it done). I tire of people putting limits on incredibly smart developers just because they don’t know how to do it.

Just because you have no idea how to harness the PS3 for an incredible gaming experience, does not mean no one does.

At MIT, they have these contests where they give people a bag of parts, and see who can make the best competing robot out of them. What these guys come up with is amazing. Throw a super computer in front of the top developers in the world, and say “make me something”, and you will get things you have never seen before.

I'm not doubting the PS3's power but I have played R&C and what about it makes the game impossible to do on the 360?

It's a pretty game but there are a lot of pretty games coming out nowadays on both the PS3 and 360.

And whether you want to admit it or not, there are limitations in the PS3 design. The dedicated RAM and video card are definitely weak links in the design (which isn't surprising at all since the design was changed last minute) and one could argue that the 360 is more intelligently designed in those departments.

Whats your point on the video card? The video card is dedicated. The ram isnt but developers can still use both pools of ram if needed.

As for weaknesses, the forced shaders is a major issue with the Xenon. There is reasons why the RSX even though its slower can produce better shadows. Its because ATI's unified shader pipeline doesnt have stable drivers to alloweven and balanced transfers of light and dark. Overall yes the Xenon is a stronger video card but only slightly.

Another issue is that the Xenos (CPU) doesnt have enough power in a single core to be dedicated to assist with shading. With the CELL developers have 6 micro-processors to dedicate to different areas so a single SPE to assist with the overlaying of shaders in an environment. 

Now to shock most people. The basic concept of a tri-core processer like the Xenos is quite brilliant. I'll commend Microsoft for managing to get the piece of hardware in before any chip designer thought of it. AMD has yet to release their tri-core's which will basically be their quad-core with a disabled core. Sadly core vs SPE, an SPE wins due to raw number crunching power. .

As for why can the 360 not run R&C. The answer is simple. Scale. If you look at the general size of each map they are huge with many secrets through out. Each level probably takes up 800MBs, plus the sound track, and cutscenes, etc. There would be a need for 3 DVD-DLs for a 360 version.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

rocketpig,

Many Sony fans believe in the propaganda about the Cell processor without even understanding what the propaganda is saying. The comment about their being "some math that the PS3 is 20 to 30 times more powerful than the XBox 360" was in reference to an annoucement that was made that the PS3 was 20 times more powerful than a single threaded (intel) CPU per cycle when performing a fast fourier transform; the two important facts are that the XBox 360 is not a single threaded intel CPU, and the fast fourier transform has (almost) no use in game development.

Well, the PS3 is extraordinarily good at some kinds of processing, which is probably where a lot of these people get these claims. It's basically a server chip, after all. Unfortunately, it's damned near impossible to utilize the SPEs to anything close to their maximum for gaming purposes. There is bound to be idle time because not everything in a game will be processing to its max at any given moment and it's not like you can just turn one SPE off for one function and have it do something else in the meantime (unlike server computing) because at any time, that first thread may be needed again and there may not be an available SPE to process the information. It also doesn't help that the bottle neck of a single core SPU hinders the overall design (which is why it was originally intended to be a dual core SPU).

Hell, I doubt that most people here know that the Xenon and the Cell are based on the same damn architecture. While the 360 went tri-core, the PS3 has SPEs instead. I even think they're the same clock speed (though I'm not sure about L1 or L2 cache levels for each, those could be different).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Whats your point on the video card? The video card is dedicated. The ram isnt but developers can still use both pools of ram if needed.

As for weaknesses, the forced shaders is a major issue with the Xenon. There is reasons why the RSX even though its slower can produce better shadows. Its because ATI's unified shader pipeline doesnt have stable drivers to alloweven and balanced transfers of light and dark. Overall yes the Xenon is a stronger video card but only slightly.

Another issue is that the Xenos (CPU) doesnt have enough power in a single core to be dedicated to assist with shading. With the CELL developers have 6 micro-processors to dedicate to different areas so a single SPE to assist with the overlaying of shaders in an environment.

Now to shock most people. The basic concept of a tri-core processer like the Xenos is quite brilliant. I'll commend Microsoft for managing to get the piece of hardware in before any chip designer thought of it. AMD has yet to release their tri-core's which will basically be their quad-core with a disabled core. Sadly core vs SPE, an SPE wins due to raw number crunching power. .

As for why can the 360 not run R&C. The answer is simple. Scale. If you look at the general size of each map they are huge with many secrets through out. Each level probably takes up 800MBs, plus the sound track, and cutscenes, etc. There would be a need for 3 DVD-DLs for a 360 version.

I brought up the video card because it's an integral part of the PS3 design. It's pointless to bring up a gaming machine without talking about the GPU; it's too important.

Good point about using an SPE for shading; that is a good way to use the power of the PS3 for something that requires constant use.

The maps for R&C aren't that huge. Look at Halo 3. Some of the environments in that game are massive and Bungie fit it all on one DVD. Claiming that the game would need 3 DVDs is ludicrous and if you have any sort of data that backs you up, I would love to see it. You're also ignoring the advances in compression technology over the past few years. I'm willing to concede that the game might require two DVDs but even that is a stretch in my eyes and hardly makes it impossible to put the game on the 360.

Omac said:
Sorry you are wrong. The 360 still also has a way to go before it taps into all that it can do in the graphics department. Yes I really think Ratchet and Clank could be reproduced on the 360, but we will never find out.

Yes fanboy? don't call me that. I'm a fan of games I just get upset at people following Sony like lemmings (like CrazzyMan). I have not seen a single game that 360 could not reproduce. PS3 20-30 times faster than the 360? You just pulling that out of your arse.

http://www.mc.com/uploadedFiles/Cell-Perf-Simple.pdf

I have no company Bias. Both systems offer something the other does not. I own both. But when it comes to the power of the Cell, anyone who says it's not much faster than what's in the 360 has for a CPU is just uneducated, or biased based on branding.
For FFT, the CELL screams, based on the type of math it does well (the linked article will show you what I mean). People will learn how to harness that for games.

@RocketPig
I don’t think the Distribution medium has anything to do with the game, I think where the CELL adds value to the visuals, is in the animations and lighting. The Video card on the PS3 is lacking, but if you take advantage of the Cell to do most of your pre rendering, you can greatly offload what the GPU needs to do.

So for example to others (I am sure RocketPig gets this), Most games will define the geometry in the CPU, and load it into the GPU, it will load up all the textures, lighting, positions, and many other things into the GPU. The GPU will then figure out what needs to be displayed on the screen. It removes all the polygons that people don’t see, applies lighting to the textures, and does a thousand other things.

The SPU’s of the Cell can do a lot of this for you, before you ever get to the video card. This means less bandwidth is needed between the CPU and the GPU (which is lacking on the PS3 compared to the 360), and the overall graphical capabilities of the system is much better (even though the PS3’s GPU is a little slower on its own compared to the 360’s). The issue today is in order to take advantage of this, you need to code the methods yourself. It’s never been done before (well, now it has, but last year, it was new). As these tools develop and get distributed, games will improve in leaps and bounds. The 360’s development paradigm is well known, and while optimization will continue as time goes on, the effective results will be less. (this last line was for Omac, not you RocketPig)

The character models, and lighting effects on R&C take a lot more CPU+GPU power to produce then the 360 has. I hate to bring it up, as the game sucked balls, but Lair is another great example of offloading a lot of what traditionally is done with the GPU to the Cell. That game could never be done on the 360 either (and thank god for all 360 owners for that).

x360 don`t have more powerfull GPU, it`s a MYTH (listen to burnout 5 team podcast).

If you think, that x360 is on PAIR with PS3, then show me games with better graphics in such genres:

Uncharted - tps.
Ratchet - 3D platformer.
GT5 - driving game.
KZ2/R2 - FPS.
FFXIII - jrpg.

on x360.

Thank you.

crumas2 said:
CrazzyMan said:
When this generation is done, between MS and Sony, MS will have made bigger inroads, and Sony will have lost market share.

when this generation is done, people will see, what GREAT gaming experience they can get on PS3. They will no need M$ consoles anymore, because they will know, that Sony always deliver.

M$ might expanded their market share, but overall, people will go for Sony, knowing that only there they can get best experience.

Overall people are going for Wii, so they must be getting a better experience there. 

If after MGS4, FFXIII, KZ2, GT5, R2, LBP, GoW3 Wii will outsell PS3 by 2x times WW monthly, then i give up.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

@ MrMaffo:

Hahah on the Lair comments. As time progresses, I will be interested to see if developers can produce the scale of a game like Lair on the PS3 while actually rendering the entire thing (which Lair did not, hence the "sprite problem" if you approached an enemy too quickly) and with an acceptable framerate.

I agree about the maximum potential of the 360 vs. the PS3. IMO, the 360 will top off sooner than the PS3, partially because of its simpler architecture, its age (devs are now well into their second games with the system), and by most reports, its superior developer tools.

The PS3 has its radically different architecture going against it, though in the end, it is probably marginally more powerful than the 360. A lot depends on how effectively developers find the platform to be and whether their budgets can/will take advantage of the power in the Cell (which will need to make up a little ground because of the RSX's disadvantages), whether Sony improves their development tools to be on par with Microsoft's, and most importantly, whether the system starts selling well enough to last long enough for developers to get the experience needed with the Cell architecture to take advantage of the system's potential.

Overall, there are a lot of "ifs" in these statements and unless the PS3 takes off soon, I doubt we'll see any games that will outclass 360 games, excepting a few of Sony's own first party "showcase" titles where budget isn't as much of a concern. Even then, it's hard to say if we'll ever see anything more substantial than what we saw with the PS2/Xbox.

well said MS have no interest in the consumer with all the extras you have to buy

Platinums/100% Completion: Super Stardust HD, Linger In Shadows, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Burnout Paradise, Shaun White Snowboarding, Tomb Raider: Underworld, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator: Salvation, Assassin's Creed II, WipEout HD, Ratchet And Clank: A Crack In Time, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, God Of War, God of War II, God of War III, inFamous.

Working on: GTA IV - 87%, Batman: Arkham Asylum - 80%.

Its not beating the PS3 and the only reason its making money is because they make it so cheaply even the Wii has disc sucking thingy

and the 360 has a crappy disc tray 

Platinums/100% Completion: Super Stardust HD, Linger In Shadows, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Burnout Paradise, Shaun White Snowboarding, Tomb Raider: Underworld, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator: Salvation, Assassin's Creed II, WipEout HD, Ratchet And Clank: A Crack In Time, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, God Of War, God of War II, God of War III, inFamous.

Working on: GTA IV - 87%, Batman: Arkham Asylum - 80%.

MrMafoo said:
Omac said:
Sorry you are wrong. The 360 still also has a way to go before it taps into all that it can do in the graphics department. Yes I really think Ratchet and Clank could be reproduced on the 360, but we will never find out.

Yes fanboy? don't call me that. I'm a fan of games I just get upset at people following Sony like lemmings (like CrazzyMan). I have not seen a single game that 360 could not reproduce. PS3 20-30 times faster than the 360? You just pulling that out of your arse.

http://www.mc.com/uploadedFiles/Cell-Perf-Simple.pdf

I have no company Bias. Both systems offer something the other does not. I own both. But when it comes to the power of the Cell, anyone who says it's not much faster than what's in the 360 has for a CPU is just uneducated, or biased based on branding.
For FFT, the CELL screams, based on the type of math it does well (the linked article will show you what I mean). People will learn how to harness that for games.

@RocketPig
I don’t think the Distribution medium has anything to do with the game, I think where the CELL adds value to the visuals, is in the animations and lighting. The Video card on the PS3 is lacking, but if you take advantage of the Cell to do most of your pre rendering, you can greatly offload what the GPU needs to do.

So for example to others (I am sure RocketPig gets this), Most games will define the geometry in the CPU, and load it into the GPU, it will load up all the textures, lighting, positions, and many other things into the GPU. The GPU will then figure out what needs to be displayed on the screen. It removes all the polygons that people don’t see, applies lighting to the textures, and does a thousand other things.

The SPU’s of the Cell can do a lot of this for you, before you ever get to the video card. This means less bandwidth is needed between the CPU and the GPU (which is lacking on the PS3 compared to the 360), and the overall graphical capabilities of the system is much better (even though the PS3’s GPU is a little slower on its own compared to the 360’s). The issue today is in order to take advantage of this, you need to code the methods yourself. It’s never been done before (well, now it has, but last year, it was new). As these tools develop and get distributed, games will improve in leaps and bounds. The 360’s development paradigm is well known, and while optimization will continue as time goes on, the effective results will be less. (this last line was for Omac, not you RocketPig)

The character models, and lighting effects on R&C take a lot more CPU+GPU power to produce then the 360 has. I hate to bring it up, as the game sucked balls, but Lair is another great example of offloading a lot of what traditionally is done with the GPU to the Cell. That game could never be done on the 360 either (and thank god for all 360 owners for that).

Sorry it's just false. 

Sorry the SPE's don't come with magic.  Also please never use Lair in any example.  That game ran like crap, so does that mean the CPU ran like crap?

Another thing I have to bring up is about disk space.  How big is a game for PC?  They are not really restricted in terms of space because of HD install. They can have a wide range of system specs, and use high res textures and sound.  The biggest game I have on my HD is 8.2GB, which a DVD can handle with no problem.

So I don't understand about people saying Xbox360 is so restricted because they use a DVD.

Just calculated it out. PS3 will pass the 360 in 558 weeks at the current pace.

Libraries sell systems not individual games