By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 overtakes the 360 in total sales?

Slimebeast said:
Like NJ5 said, the holiday drop isn't over in Japan yet. But next week it will, and Jap PS3 sales will drop another 10K, which will give us a worlwide total with the PS3 - X360 being neck to neck.

No, PS3 sells more in Japan next week because Sony announced 60 gb sku will be phased out. Definitely some people will decide to get a unit with BC before it's too late.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
madskillz said:
CrazzyMan said:
Here's the deal - I see so many similarities between the PS2-Xbox battle and the PS3/Xbox 360 fight. What I see is a role reversal. Folks would be declaring the 360 dead if the PS3 had a 7 million lead. Now, it's not the case. The 360 consistently has the most sold games, is typically favored by devs and even with the RROD drama is still selling. The PS2 had the most games sold, was favored by devs and even with the disk read error was and is still selling.
1) x360 blah blah.
2) PS2 blah blah blah.
3) PS3 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
The Xbox was playing catchup the entire time against the PS2. The PS2 also had exclusives that were timed, but by the time they appeared on the Xbox, it was a moot point.
And blah blah blah.
PS3 blah blah blah x360 in blah blah blah, and outsold blah blah blah in blah blah blah even in 2006.
What I am saying is, it's not completely by the play book, but MS, with Japan being the exception, ripped a page out of Sony's PS2 playbook and has run it by the numbers.
You don`t blah blah blah Konami blah blah blah, Square? + other Japan companies? Too bad for blah blah blah.
Will the PS3 outsell the 360? It's possible, but will it even matter by then? The Nextbox will be here, and next-next gen gaming will have arrived and the cycle could start again.
Do many blah blah blah bought blah blah blah? people will be blah blah blah for a blah blah blah.
Sheer number will put the PS3 ahead of the 360, but only when MS really doesn't care about the 360 as much, and focusing efforts on the Nextbox.
Too bad, blah blah blah blah blah blah.
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah AND FURTHERMORE ... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah(tm).

Wow ... you lost me, crazzyman ...

Hahaha!

CrazzyMan of Latvia is the funniest.

@ Slimebeast ... ROTFL ...

Yeah, he's a hoot. Thanks for appreciating my phailed attempt at humor ... 

MrMafoo said:

That's different. How about if I said "These TV's are exactly the same, other then the Sony TV can't be used with Cable Companies"? Sony would never sell a TV. That's a closer example. If the 360 would play every PS3 game, then your example would fit.

I have said it a dozen times, and I will probably say it a dozen more before it's all over...

Exclusive content sells consoles.

The GTA's, COD4's and AC's of the world make little to no difference when selling consoles. It's the Halos, Mass Effects, MGS's, GT's, FF's, and all the other exclusive titles that sell systems.

If the 360 had 700 games for it, and the PS3 had the same 700, plus one game that was great that the 360 didn't have, you would never sell a 360. Those 700 games are a wash, as you can get them on both consoles.

And when it comes to exclusive content, the PS3 will win (imo).

Your scenario is fairly impossible. PS3 will never have all the games the 360 has plus additional exclusive content, any more than the 360 would ever have all the PS3 games plus additional exclusive content. Each console will always have exclusive content.

Also, one of your assumptions--that the 360 will stop selling just like the xbox--is faulty. 11/29/2004 through 12/27/2004 the xbox sold 1.7 m units ww. The following November MS starting selling the 360 and stopped production on the xbox. How can you claim that exclusive content (or the lack thereof) caused the xbox to stop selling? MS caused the xbox to stop selling. The only way your assertion that the 360 will stop selling in 2009 might possibly be correct is if MS releases their next gen console in 2009 and stops production on the 360.

So you still haven't explained how your logic represents a situation that is even remotely possible.

People are saying later on PS3 is going to pull off better graphics.... I don't think so, with it's lackluster non shared ram and not as good GPU... The hard to program for crappy SPU CPU. PS3 will never overshadow 360 in the graphics department or online functionality.

CrazzyMan said:
When this generation is done, between MS and Sony, MS will have made bigger inroads, and Sony will have lost market share.

when this generation is done, people will see, what GREAT gaming experience they can get on PS3. They will no need M$ consoles anymore, because they will know, that Sony always deliver.

M$ might expanded their market share, but overall, people will go for Sony, knowing that only there they can get best experience.

Overall people are going for Wii, so they must be getting a better experience there. 

Around the Network

So much talk about Hardware sales. Why? Software is all that matters and that is where the 360 is King. The PS3 has never beaten the 360 in software sales. The lead for the 360 is massive.

Omac said:
People are saying later on PS3 is going to pull off better graphics.... I don't think so, with it's lackluster non shared ram and not as good GPU... The hard to program for crappy SPU CPU. PS3 will never overshadow 360 in the graphics department or online functionality.

I try to ignore purely fanboy rhetoric, but this one I have to comment on.

The PS3, in its architectural infancy, has already surpassed the 360. Ratchet and Clank could not be done on the 360. At specific types of math (not all), the PS3 is 20-30 times faster than the 360. As people learn how to tap into that power to produce a better gaming experience, you will see things you thought were not possible.

I keep hearing about what can’t be done with the PS3 (and then see it done). I tire of people putting limits on incredibly smart developers just because they don’t know how to do it.

Just because you have no idea how to harness the PS3 for an incredible gaming experience, does not mean no one does.

At MIT, they have these contests where they give people a bag of parts, and see who can make the best competing robot out of them. What these guys come up with is amazing. Throw a super computer in front of the top developers in the world, and say “make me something”, and you will get things you have never seen before.

Sorry you are wrong. The 360 still also has a way to go before it taps into all that it can do in the graphics department. Yes I really think Ratchet and Clank could be reproduced on the 360, but we will never find out.

Yes fanboy? don't call me that. I'm a fan of games I just get upset at people following Sony like lemmings (like CrazzyMan). I have not seen a single game that 360 could not reproduce. PS3 20-30 times faster than the 360? You just pulling that out of your arse.

When a multiplat game comes in which PS3 out shines the 360 version in every way, then I'll believe. I don't want none of the excuse "PS3 version is not as good because it was made for 360"

crumas2 said:
MrMafoo said:

That's different. How about if I said "These TV's are exactly the same, other then the Sony TV can't be used with Cable Companies"? Sony would never sell a TV. That's a closer example. If the 360 would play every PS3 game, then your example would fit.

I have said it a dozen times, and I will probably say it a dozen more before it's all over...

The GTA's, COD4's and AC's of the world make little to no difference when selling consoles. It's the Halos, Mass Effects, MGS's, GT's, FF's, and all the other exclusive titles that sell systems.

If the 360 had 700 games for it, and the PS3 had the same 700, plus one game that was great that the 360 didn't have, you would never sell a 360. Those 700 games are a wash, as you can get them on both consoles.

And when it comes to exclusive content, the PS3 will win (imo).

Your scenario is fairly impossible. PS3 will never have all the games the 360 has plus additional exclusive content, any more than the 360 would ever have all the PS3 games plus additional exclusive content. Each console will always have exclusive content.

My scenario is completely imposable. I used an extreme to emphasize my point.

As for the old x-box… Yes, it sold some units, but comparatively, it did very poor.

(Sorry, you can only do 2 years, so I just picked randomly)

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=All&cons2=XB&reg2=All&cons3=GC&reg3=All&start=36758&end=37990&weekly=1

People pick console on what they get from one over the other… so, I am a buying in late 2008…

If I choose the 360, I get:

Gears of War 1 and 2, Alan Wake, Halo, Mass Effect, BioShock, a few other exclusives, and best of all, XBL.

If I choose a PS3, I get:

MGS4, GT5, FFXIII, FFXIII Verses, Haze, LBP, R&C, UT3 (and all player made content that will probably not come to the 360), Uncharted, Resistance 1 and 2, KZ2, Home, Blu-Ray, reliability, and a few other exclusives.

Everything that’s common, I don’t care about when making my decision I get it regardless.

When the PS3 equation becomes one where it’s an overwhelming advantage, the 360 will stop selling (or sell at a very low rate).

MrMafoo said:
Omac said:

I try to ignore purely fanboy rhetoric, but this one I have to comment on.

The PS3, in its architectural infancy, has already surpassed the 360. Ratchet and Clank could not be done on the 360. At specific types of math (not all), the PS3 is 20-30 times faster than the 360. As people learn how to tap into that power to produce a better gaming experience, you will see things you thought were not possible.

I keep hearing about what can’t be done with the PS3 (and then see it done). I tire of people putting limits on incredibly smart developers just because they don’t know how to do it.

Just because you have no idea how to harness the PS3 for an incredible gaming experience, does not mean no one does.

At MIT, they have these contests where they give people a bag of parts, and see who can make the best competing robot out of them. What these guys come up with is amazing. Throw a super computer in front of the top developers in the world, and say “make me something”, and you will get things you have never seen before.

I'm not doubting the PS3's power but I have played R&C and what about it makes the game impossible to do on the 360?

It's a pretty game but there are a lot of pretty games coming out nowadays on both the PS3 and 360.

And whether you want to admit it or not, there are limitations in the PS3 design. The dedicated RAM and video card are definitely weak links in the design (which isn't surprising at all since the design was changed last minute) and one could argue that the 360 is more intelligently designed in those departments.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/