By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 overtakes the 360 in total sales?

Here's the deal - I see so many similarities between the PS2-Xbox battle and the PS3/Xbox 360 fight. What I see is a role reversal. Folks would be declaring the 360 dead if the PS3 had a 7 million lead. Now, it's not the case. The 360 consistently has the most sold games, is typically favored by devs and even with the RROD drama is still selling. The PS2 had the most games sold, was favored by devs and even with the disk read error was and is still selling.
1) x360 selling POOR.
2) PS2 was selling GOOD.
3) PS3 is selling better then x360 with price 600 vs 400 for most part of the year.
The Xbox was playing catchup the entire time against the PS2. The PS2 also had exclusives that were timed, but by the time they appeared on the Xbox, it was a moot point.
And NEVER catched up.
PS3 in this year will catch x360 in Europe, and outsold x360 in Japan even in 2006.
What I am saying is, it's not completely by the play book, but MS, with Japan being the exception, ripped a page out of Sony's PS2 playbook and has run it by the numbers.
You don`t care about Konami, Square? + other Japan companies? Too bad for you and x360.
Will the PS3 outsell the 360? It's possible, but will it even matter by then? The Nextbox will be here, and next-next gen gaming will have arrived and the cycle could start again.
Do many people bought Crysis? people will be SATISFIED with FFXIII, GT5, KZ2 graphics for a long time.
Sheer number will put the PS3 ahead of the 360, but only when MS really doesn't care about the 360 as much, and focusing efforts on the Nextbox.
Too bad, MOST gamers won`t buy that.
IF x720 comes in fall 2009, then it will fail, 4 year is not enough for gamers.
if x720 comes in fall 2010, well that is after AMAZING GAMING years of 2008, 2009 asnd 2010. 3 years WITH AMAZING GAMING ON PS3, why would people buy x720? There is NO POINT, because BEST gaming is only on PLAYSTATION(tm).

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
Here's the deal - I see so many similarities between the PS2-Xbox battle and the PS3/Xbox 360 fight. What I see is a role reversal. Folks would be declaring the 360 dead if the PS3 had a 7 million lead. Now, it's not the case. The 360 consistently has the most sold games, is typically favored by devs and even with the RROD drama is still selling. The PS2 had the most games sold, was favored by devs and even with the disk read error was and is still selling.
1) x360 blah blah.
2) PS2 blah blah blah.
3) PS3 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
The Xbox was playing catchup the entire time against the PS2. The PS2 also had exclusives that were timed, but by the time they appeared on the Xbox, it was a moot point.
And blah blah blah.
PS3 blah blah blah x360 in blah blah blah, and outsold blah blah blah in blah blah blah even in 2006.
What I am saying is, it's not completely by the play book, but MS, with Japan being the exception, ripped a page out of Sony's PS2 playbook and has run it by the numbers.
You don`t blah blah blah Konami blah blah blah, Square? + other Japan companies? Too bad for blah blah blah.
Will the PS3 outsell the 360? It's possible, but will it even matter by then? The Nextbox will be here, and next-next gen gaming will have arrived and the cycle could start again.
Do many blah blah blah bought blah blah blah? people will be blah blah blah for a blah blah blah.
Sheer number will put the PS3 ahead of the 360, but only when MS really doesn't care about the 360 as much, and focusing efforts on the Nextbox.
Too bad, blah blah blah blah blah blah.
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah AND FURTHERMORE ... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah(tm).

Wow ... you lost me, crazzyman ...

crumas2 said:

That's really weird logic.  It's like saying that everyone would look at a Samsung TV and a Sony TV in a similar price range, discover the Sony has a better contrast ratio and more HDMI inputs, and never buy a Samsung.  It doesn't work out that way in real life.  Many people will simply look at the sample HD source being displayed and say, "so they're both able to do that 1080p thing", and when the salesman says yes, they buy the one that seems to them to have the better picture (and it will be very subjective).

If the 360 wasn't capable of playing AAA titles such as Assassins Creed, COD4, GTA4, etc., and look very similar to the PS3 versions, then your argument might hold water.  But those games basically look the same on both platforms.

I think anyone who believes that the PS3 is going to have a massive library of games so spectacular that they blow away the versions on the 360 is living in fantasy land.  A small collection of those uber games, yes, but not a significant number of titles.  It's just too much work and it making one version "dramatically better" than the other means the publisher can't leverage a lot of what's done on one machine to port to the other.  Sorry, but lowest-common-denominator almost always wins in this scenario for obvious financial reasons.

That's different. How about if I said "These TV's are exactly the same, other then the Sony TV can't be used with Cable Companies"? Sony would never sell a TV. That's a closer example. If the 360 would play every PS3 game, then your example would fit.

I have said it a dozen times, and I will probably say it a dozen more before it's all over...

Exclusive content sells consoles.

The GTA's, COD4's and AC's of the world make little to no difference when selling consoles. It's the Halos, Mass Effects, MGS's, GT's, FF's, and all the other exclusive titles that sell systems. 

If the 360 had 700 games for it, and the PS3 had the same 700, plus one game that was great that the 360 didn't have, you would never sell a 360. Those 700 games are a wash, as you can get them on both consoles.

And when it comes to exclusive content, the PS3 will win (imo).

I lol'd

leo-j said:
@jjseth

"I dont consider myself a fanboy"

looks at sig

sure buddy :P

What Leo, I can't poke fun of a console that I own?

And haven't you been banned like 19 times this month for flamebaiting and trolling?  I'd be walking on egg shells if I were you.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

Early 2010 (if Sony is lucky), otherwise, never. :)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

MrMafoo said:
crumas2 said:

That's really weird logic. It's like saying that everyone would look at a Samsung TV and a Sony TV in a similar price range, discover the Sony has a better contrast ratio and more HDMI inputs, and never buy a Samsung. It doesn't work out that way in real life. Many people will simply look at the sample HD source being displayed and say, "so they're both able to do that 1080p thing", and when the salesman says yes, they buy the one that seems to them to have the better picture (and it will be very subjective).

If the 360 wasn't capable of playing AAA titles such as Assassins Creed, COD4, GTA4, etc., and look very similar to the PS3 versions, then your argument might hold water. But those games basically look the same on both platforms.

I think anyone who believes that the PS3 is going to have a massive library of games so spectacular that they blow away the versions on the 360 is living in fantasy land. A small collection of those uber games, yes, but not a significant number of titles. It's just too much work and it making one version "dramatically better" than the other means the publisher can't leverage a lot of what's done on one machine to port to the other. Sorry, but lowest-common-denominator almost always wins in this scenario for obvious financial reasons.

That's different. How about if I said "These TV's are exactly the same, other then the Sony TV can't be used with Cable Companies"? Sony would never sell a TV. That's a closer example. If the 360 would play every PS3 game, then your example would fit.

I have said it a dozen times, and I will probably say it a dozen more before it's all over...

The GTA's, COD4's and AC's of the world make little to no difference when selling consoles. It's the Halos, Mass Effects, MGS's, GT's, FF's, and all the other exclusive titles that sell systems.

If the 360 had 700 games for it, and the PS3 had the same 700, plus one game that was great that the 360 didn't have, you would never sell a 360. Those 700 games are a wash, as you can get them on both consoles.

And when it comes to exclusive content, the PS3 will win (imo).

Exclusive content sell consoles -> Yes i agree and so does MS. That’s why they have really already one this round. With the PS2 many titles were PS2 exclusive. MS knew this and set out a plan to win exclusives and more importantly break the ps2 exclusives. They have done this quite effectively, and is going to provide a gain to MS this generation.

Just remember that MS doesn’t have to sell the most to win, they are coming from way behind and even if they gain 10% they have gained.

Predictions JAN 08

2008 PS3-19.5M(actual 19.5) XBOX360-23M(actual 27.5) Wii - 37M(actual 45.8M)

End of 2009 PS3-27 25M XBOX360-30 35M Wii - 48 63M (revised DEC 08)

Price Point
Mid 2008 Wii $250 Xbox360$249 Xbox360(HDD)$299 PS3 $399

Mid 2009 Wii $189 Xbox360$199 Xbox360(HDD)$249 PS3 $339

Mid 2010 Wii $ 149 Xbox360$159 Xbox360(HDD)$199 PS3 $289

madskillz said:
CrazzyMan said:
1) x360 blah blah.
2) PS2 blah blah blah.
3) PS3 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
And blah blah blah.
PS3 blah blah blah x360 in blah blah blah, and outsold blah blah blah in blah blah blah even in 2006.
You don`t blah blah blah Konami blah blah blah, Square? + other Japan companies? Too bad for blah blah blah.
Do many blah blah blah bought blah blah blah? people will be blah blah blah for a blah blah blah.
Too bad, blah blah blah blah blah blah.
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah AND FURTHERMORE ... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah(tm).

Wow ... you lost me, crazzyman ...

Hahaha!

CrazzyMan of Latvia is the funniest.

Nidan said: 

Exclusive content sell consoles -> Yes i agree and so does MS. That’s why they have really already one this round. With the PS2 many titles were PS2 exclusive. MS knew this and set out a plan to win exclusives and more importantly break the ps2 exclusives. They have done this quite effectively, and is going to provide a gain to MS this generation.

Just remember that MS doesn’t have to sell the most to win, they are coming from way behind and even if they gain 10% they have gained.

I agree that MS has done great things to improve there position in the gaming market. Thy will gain a lot more then 10% this time around, and considering that they are a late comer to this arena, have really done an awesome job making a name for themselves. This generation will be a moral victory, and might even be a financial success (unlikely however).

When this generation is done, between MS and Sony, MS will have made bigger inroads, and Sony will have lost market share.

But all that being said, Sony will outsell MS this time around, and it will probably happen sometime in late 09. Who knows about the next generation, but for this one, Sony has brought more to the table.

When this generation is done, between MS and Sony, MS will have made bigger inroads, and Sony will have lost market share.

when this generation is done, people will see, what GREAT gaming experience they can get on PS3. They will no need M$ consoles anymore, because they will know, that Sony always deliver.

M$ might expanded their market share, but overall, people will go for Sony, knowing that only there they can get best experience.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far