By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May 2012 NPD - Diablo III:1m; X360:160k; PS3:124k; Wii:71k; 3DS:113.5k; PSV:~54k -

Oh dear...Oh dear indeed...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
Train wreck said:
So for the month of may 2011 the 3DS brought in 24.1 million dollars in revenue with no price cut and really no games.

The month of may 2012, with a lower price (40%), 2 main line mario games, 3rd party out the ass, a peripheral, hardware revenue dropped to 19.8 million dollars, selling only about 20k more units

That's truly scary.

Wow, starting to think the price drop wasn't the best move...although the expanded userbase may come in handy for the software sales. 

To be fair the price drop was the tie breaker for me between the DS and PSP>

SaviorX said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Train wreck said:

Im thinking the same thing I wish there was a  breakdown of software per system (which im sure there is internally at NPD) but i think software sale totals were down collectly 32% last month to 255 million, so i think the expanded install base is not buying new games, even though more are available to the 3DS (and to all systems frankly)

Software declines despite 2 relatively new systems in the 3DS and Vita (no one buying software for either)

and the main software in the top 10 have had their drastic price cuts lowering overall software revenue

You almost think they should've just rode the DS sales for a bit longer....maybe released another DS revision rather than a whole new system? (I know I'd be up for it, still rocking a DS Lite)

....for comparison, NDS in the same time frame:

May 2005 - 57k
May 2006 - 146k
May 2007 - 423k
May 2008 - 452.6k
May 2009 - 633.5k 
May 2010 - 383.7K 

Does seem like waiting would've been a good idea...but there's still a good chance that 3DS can get the same kind of YOY upticks as time goes on...

that just isn't going to happen. The ds was a radically different handheld from all previous ones, and needed a lot of time for the market to be willing to give it a try. Hence why initially even the psp(a much more standard handheld by design) was tracking ahead of the ds. The 3ds does not have the same problem. People now know what to expect and even with its ridiculous pricecut, it is not selling well(compared to the ds). Sure a 2d mario and eventually a true pokemon sequel will help sales, but there is no way it will experience the type of yoy bumps the ds experienced.

Turkish said:
terrible sales, wow, the Japanese market is now half as big as the American one.

It's almost half the population, so it's not that strange that the market is half as big.

Handhelds are dead. Even 3DS cant sell what will ?

We need a new Generation of Consoles. Wii U + Xbox 3 + Ps4 and sales will pick up.

Handhelds are dead no matter what you do, 3Ds sells at some places here at 129e and sells so bad so...

Around the Network
TheSource said:

I reckon VGC is high on almost everything for hardware. The US economy is slowing down, all the consoles are very old - the 3DS / Vita are tiny yet, and with a 40 / 35 / 21 split between Wii / X360 / PS3 in the US having one big game a month just isn't going to push big hardware numbers anymore.  There is a chance Microsoft's numbers will be up I suppose because NPD will have found a way to include that "$100 downpayment plus future $20 payments" thing into the numbers at Microsoft's stores (I've never seen one though?), but that proposition is still pretty expensive long term for a seven year old console.

I think you may be right. I think the European economy is probably in worst situation atm. A good example not just for games would be for movies.

Look at The Avengers as an example. The biggest opening weekend in the US, yet in Europe it is doing very poorly. You would think the hype of that fact alone would show some interest. Most european countries for avengers gross is about 10%-20% of what Avatar achieved.  Outside of europe other places are around the 50% mark of what avatar achieved.

Wow, these numbers make for some horrible reading all around :/

Barozi said:

Thanks to zimbawawa for pointing out that today is NPD time.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/24/npd-monthly-reports-integrate-walmart-data-starting-next-month/

<snip>

Not a problem.

How Handhelds are dead?
The market diminished, sure, but DS "ecosystem" or "familiy" or whatever Sony calls it, sold more than 200k.

Nothing amazing, but it's not doom time yet.
Vita needs a price cut urgently (it's coming),and it'll improve in japan pretty soon.

Wii > Vita that is just sad.