By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May 2012 NPD - Diablo III:1m; X360:160k; PS3:124k; Wii:71k; 3DS:113.5k; PSV:~54k -

"Resident Evil ORC > max payne 3 + dragon's dogma combined"

So surprised @ MP3. Thought it would do pretty well. I mean, I haven't bought it yet but.....

Around the Network
VGKing said:
daveJ said:
Handhelds are dead outside of Japan, I know its not pleasing to some but you cant escape it, smartphones have severely affected Handheld sales. I think theyre also affecting consoles as well to a lesser degree [People have only a limited amount of money to spend on entertainment, each dollar spent on an iphone game is one less spent on a console game] which doesnt bode well for the next generation wii ps xbox's

Most people already have 1 of the current-gen consoles. It's natural for sales to slow down this late in the cycle.

Yes thats correct but it doesnt address my main point. Handhelds, keep in mind these socalled old & tired consoles ala the Ps3 and Xbox360 are easily outselling the new and fresh handhelds. With Sony and Ninedo selling them at a loss and also their companies losing money I cant see them dropping their prices or spending up large on advertising either. Are there still people that think smartphones are harming handholds sales?

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-14-us-chart-diablo-3-pips-max-payne-3-to-may-crown

NPD's Anita Frazier has confirmed to Eurogamer that Dragon's Dogma sold 92,000 copies in the US during May, while Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter Tweeted that Max Payne 3 sold less than 50 per cent of what LA Noire managed in its first month last year - putting its total somewhere below 450,000.

Max Payne 3 debuted in second place, followed by Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Prototype 2 and NBA 2K12.

Sal.Paradise said:
Train wreck said:

Im thinking the same thing I wish there was a  breakdown of software per system (which im sure there is internally at NPD) but i think software sale totals were down collectly 32% last month to 255 million, so i think the expanded install base is not buying new games, even though more are available to the 3DS (and to all systems frankly)

Software declines despite 2 relatively new systems in the 3DS and Vita (no one buying software for either)

and the main software in the top 10 have had their drastic price cuts lowering overall software revenue

You almost think they should've just rode the DS sales for a bit longer....maybe released another DS revision rather than a whole new system? (I know I'd be up for it, still rocking a DS Lite)

....for comparison, NDS in the same time frame:

May 2005 - 57k
May 2006 - 146k
May 2007 - 423k
May 2008 - 452.6k
May 2009 - 633.5k 
May 2010 - 383.7K 

Does seem like waiting would've been a good idea...but there's still a good chance that 3DS can get the same kind of YOY upticks as time goes on...

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

NPD VersusXIII... joking, versus Japan, same time period

1. 360: 160K
2. PS3: 124K
3. 3DS: 113.5K
4. DS: > 90 5. Wii: 71K
6. PSV: >50K, 7. PSP:
Japan:

1. 3DS - 239K
2. PS3 - 63K
3. PSP - 54K
4. Wii - 34K
5. PSV - 30K
6. 360 - 6K

Around the Network
daveJ said:

Yes thats correct but it doesnt address my main point. Handhelds, keep in mind these socalled old & tired consoles ala the Ps3 and Xbox360 are easily outselling the new and fresh handhelds. With Sony and Ninedo selling them at a loss and also their companies losing money I cant see them dropping their prices or spending up large on advertising either. Are there still people that think smartphones are harming handholds sales?

Obviously some people do think this (downloadable games on 3DS from August), but I think given what Miyamoto has said, were gonna see a new Nintendo product in the next 2 years to replace the 3DS.

i just hope it really is a phone.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Terrible hardware all around

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Is this USA NPD vs NA VGC?

megaman79 said:
daveJ said:

Obviously some people do think this (downloadable games on 3DS from August), but I think given what Miyamoto has said, were gonna see a new Nintendo product in the next 2 years to replace the 3DS.

i just hope it really is a phone.

I'm telling people, if nintendo made a good phone, it wouldn't beat apples iphone...BUT it would be second place. Casuals and kids will see the nintendo logo on it and go "FINALLY!" and buy it instantly.

terrible sales, wow, the Japanese market is now half as big as the American one.