By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May 2012 NPD - Diablo III:1m; X360:160k; PS3:124k; Wii:71k; 3DS:113.5k; PSV:~54k -

Train wreck said:
So for the month of may 2011 the 3DS brought in 24.1 million dollars in revenue with no price cut and really no games.

The month of may 2012, with a lower price (40%), 2 main line mario games, 3rd party out the ass, a peripheral, hardware revenue dropped to 19.8 million dollars, selling only about 20k more units

That's truly scary.

Nintendo need to really seriously consider their marketing for the 3DS.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:
So for the month of may 2011 the 3DS brought in 24.1 million dollars in revenue with no price cut and really no games.

The month of may 2012, with a lower price (40%), 2 main line mario games, 3rd party out the ass, a peripheral, hardware revenue dropped to 19.8 million dollars, selling only about 20k more units

That's truly scary.

Wow, starting to think the price drop wasn't the best move...although the expanded userbase may come in handy for the software sales. 

Hmm...some more fun while I'm at it:

Wii in 67 months - 39.4m - 39.5m --->  PS2 was at 39.7m in 86 months / 39.2m in 85 months - so Wii is still 18 months ahead of the PS2 pace.

X360 in 79 months - 34.1m ---> PS2 was at 34.1m in 70 months, so X360 is only about nine months behind the PS2 pace....although over the past two months it has actually fallen to the PS2 monthly pace again and may drop below it soon over the course of a year.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Sal.Paradise said:
Train wreck said:

That's truly scary.

Wow, starting to think the price drop wasn't the best move...although the expanded userbase may come in handy for the software sales. 

Im thinking the same thing I wish there was a  breakdown of software per system (which im sure there is internally at NPD) but i think software sale totals were down collectly 32% last month to 255 million, so i think the expanded install base is not buying new games, even though more are available to the 3DS (and to all systems frankly)

Software declines despite 2 relatively new systems in the 3DS and Vita (no one buying software for either)

and the main software in the top 10 have had their drastic price cuts lowering overall software revenue

From neogaf trusted last month leaker "creamsugar"

Vita < 1/2 3DS

So:

360: 160K
PS3: 124K
3DS: 113.5K
Wii: 71K
PSV: >50K, <56.8K

Around the Network

Vita 50K to 56.8K?

So...

360 - Overtracked by ~80k

PS3 - ~50k

Wii - ~23k

3DS - 43k

Vita - 20-26k

What's the point really?

This is good news for Nintendo (and Vita if 3DS number is wrong)

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/14/may-npd-reactions-160-thousand-360s-sold-sony-sees-strong-res/#continued

Nintendo sold 285k systems in may.

"Update: Nintendo has weighed in with a statement of its own, announcing that the company sold "more than 285,000 units of portable and console hardware" during May. Nintendo's 3DS was the only console that didn't suffer a year-over-year sales decline for the period, according to NPD analyst Anita Frazier."

Obviously the DS did not sell 100k. Something is wrong in Nintendo numbers

VicViper said:

This is good news for Nintendo (and Vita if 3DS number is wrong)

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/14/may-npd-reactions-160-thousand-360s-sold-sony-sees-strong-res/#continued

Nintendo sold 285k systems in may.

"Update: Nintendo has weighed in with a statement of its own, announcing that the company sold "more than 285,000 units of portable and console hardware" during May. Nintendo's 3DS was the only console that didn't suffer a year-over-year sales decline for the period, according to NPD analyst Anita Frazier."

Obviously the DS did not sell 100k. Something is wrong in Nintendo numbers

So im guessing the DS numbers need to be broken down since the DS and DSXL had price cuts

The original DS is still doing OK - and there was a price cut in May.

285k...

71k for Wii

113k for 3DS

104k for DS.

That makes total sense to me - I had the original DS at maybe 60k-80k in April.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu