By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - May 2012 NPD - Diablo III:1m; X360:160k; PS3:124k; Wii:71k; 3DS:113.5k; PSV:~54k -

Handhelds are dead outside of Japan, I know its not pleasing to some but you cant escape it, smartphones have severely affected Handheld sales. I think theyre also affecting consoles as well to a lesser degree [People have only a limited amount of money to spend on entertainment, each dollar spent on an iphone game is one less spent on a console game] which doesnt bode well for the next generation wii ps xbox's

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

Around the Network

I think you guys are forgetting that the vita is out as well, while in may 2011 it was just the 3DS and DS

You mean in this doom and gloom month, DS was the one that actually made us proud?

What's next PSP at 70 k?

So people are still confused about the 3DS simply being a new DS model? Or they're really cheap? Because the 3DS is only 50$ more than the DS. It doesn't make sense to me. Store clerks are probably being very dishonest about all this.

Train wreck said:

Im thinking the same thing I wish there was a  breakdown of software per system (which im sure there is internally at NPD) but i think software sale totals were down collectly 32% last month to 255 million, so i think the expanded install base is not buying new games, even though more are available to the 3DS (and to all systems frankly)

Software declines despite 2 relatively new systems in the 3DS and Vita (no one buying software for either)

and the main software in the top 10 have had their drastic price cuts lowering overall software revenue

You almost think they should've just rode the DS sales for a bit longer....maybe released another DS revision rather than a whole new system? (I know I'd be up for it, still rocking a DS Lite)

....for comparison, NDS in the same time frame:

May 2005 - 57k
May 2006 - 146k
May 2007 - 423k
May 2008 - 452.6k
May 2009 - 633.5k 
May 2010 - 383.7K 

Around the Network

Portables aren't really that dead, it's just that no one has bought a Vita...and 40% of the Nintendo portable market is still buying a DS instead of a 3DS. I would imagine PSP & Vita together are between 1-1.5m in the past year in the US (June 2011 - May 2012).

It looks like 3DS + DS year to date figures are about 1.4m - and over the past year they're at about 7m combined. Not at the highs of DS in 2007-2010 (8-12m per year in the US) but nothing to sneeze at either.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Another hint from creamsugar

PSP < 17K < 50K < PSV < Wii < 90K < DS < 100k < 3DS < PS3 < 150K < 360

PSP did not made us proud... :(. It's dead.

and ds is between 90 and 100. So that means Wii or 3DS number is "undertracked" a little. I think Wii, since 71 is very distant from 90.

360: 160K
PS3: 124K
3DS: 113.5K
DS: > 90 < 100k
Wii: 71K
PSV: >50K, < 56.8K
PSP: < 17k

daveJ said:
Handhelds are dead outside of Japan, I know its not pleasing to some but you cant escape it, smartphones have severely affected Handheld sales. I think theyre also affecting consoles as well to a lesser degree [People have only a limited amount of money to spend on entertainment, each dollar spent on an iphone game is one less spent on a console game] which doesnt bode well for the next generation wii ps xbox's

Most people already have 1 of the current-gen consoles. It's natural for sales to slow down this late in the cycle.

a 3DS revision would win first in sales for a long time, don't know why they just don't do it.