By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphical comparison of Batman Arkham City: Wii U vs PS3

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Light said:

Wii U certainly looks better. Let's hope this end this thread.

really, there's a difference, more detail in WiiU version and it's off-screen, too

for me, Pikmin 3 is probably the current graphics king of console graphics

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Light said:

Wii U certainly looks better. Let's hope this end this thread.

really, there's a difference, more detail in WiiU version and it's off-screen, too

for me, Pikmin 3 is probably the current graphics king of console graphics

Yup and Pikmin 3 is an upscaled Wii game. Wii U is definately  graphically better than current gen systems but the real question is will it be powerful enough to hold its own against the next Sony and Microsoft consoles? I think its likely cause 3rd parties seem to be happy with the system and its capabilities.

My two cents worth. The DOF blurring seems overdone on both the PS3 and Xbox360 for anyone who's spent time looking through an actual camera, Pikmin 3 shows that the Wii U definitely can do this effects and so I can only infer that it's absence here is intentional. There are a couple of additional structures on the left hand side of the Wii U but as pointed out some missing fences etc, perhaps due to it's unfinished state. The main building shows more detail or certainly appears slightly sharper on the Wii U version. The Wii U version, as with most Wii U games, seems to look a touch 'cleaner' which I'm assuming is due to better AA.

Summary, they look pretty much the same, performance yet to be determined.

Anyone expecting these early ports to look significantly better or using the lack of difference as 'evidence' of the systems supposed shortcomings are missing one big point. Why would a company spend piles of cash updating an already stellar looking game when they are selling to an install base of zero?

Chrizum said:

What did you say, Gilgamesh?

I knew the PS3 had some aliasing problems but not that bad. And that detailess explosion...

Also, jusdging by the amount of the fire escape in view, the screen shot of the Wii U version is further to the left so the headlights in the back are all block. The purple lights appear to be illumination pearing around the corner.

The Wii U version seems to either be using more blur and/or depth of field.

Do I even need to go into the textures in the tower itself?

They used the PC screenshot to troll nintendo

we go through this every time

Around the Network
c03n3nj0 said:
Could it be that the in the exploding tower picture, the blurriness of the building to the right and the background in the Wii U version is trying to mimic the eye? As in, whatever's not in your focus becomes blurry. The tower is in focus, while the buildings around it are not. It's just a thought.

Anyhow, I feel like a lot of the technical differences between the two versions, unless they REALLY improved Arkham City for Wii U, would be like the differences between the PS2 and GC versions of Resident Evil 4.

The PS2 version of RE4 had half the polygon count and most of the special effects removed as well having longer load times with lower resolution textures. That is a really bad comparison.

d21lewis said:
PS2 ports of Dreamcast games often looked and played worse despite the fact that the PS2 was much more powerful.

In terms of hardware, the PS2 and Dreamcast were very similar to what the PS3 and Xbox 360 are like to day. One is slightly more powerful but a lot harder to develop for.

thismeintiel said:
chapset said:
Chrizum said:

What did you say, Gilgamesh?

Holy fuck look at them banners and that airship, next gen here we come

Lol.  What's really interesting is looking at the buildings in the background.  On the PS3 version you can see more detail than in the Wii U version.  In fact, they completely removed the fencing on the building directly to the left of the tower.  And several buildings to the right are lacking details, like fencing and antennas.  Also, I guess next gen means no depth of field blur?  Boo!

Edit: A good example is to look at the small tower to the right.  On the Wii U it looks just like a blob of color, with no real detail.  In the PS3 version, you can still see details, like the fencing on it, as well as a staircase that spirals up the outside of it.  Also, the lights on top of the buildings next to this tower just look like blobs of purple, where on the PS3 version they are clearly defined.  It seems the only thing the Wii U stands out on is the AA.

If we note the purple blobs, those are entirely absent from the PS3 picture, which has more headlight groupings placed here and there.

The differences amount to more than the graphics in these scenes. And i should say the depth of field has been blurred differently in the two images, for in the Wii U you note the explosion is much more cleanly detailed, but the fire escape on the building on the right seems fuzzy, so it's not a lack of depth but something different being in focus.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Light said:

Ugh, look at that wall on the right and the shadows on the fence in the PS3 version at 0:51 compared to the Wii U version in full screen.

That is no small difference.

And from what I can tell, the Wii U version is running at 60 FPS and the PS3 version is running at 30...

The wii U at launch is doing end of gen ps3 stuff, bodes well