By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U Launch Line Up vs. Wii U Hardware...

DanneSandin said:
scottie said:
70-100 million sales for those games mentioned? I think you underestimate them.

Mario, Wii Fit, Nintendoland and JustDance 4 have a good chance to hit 70 million by themselves.

I would say 80-150 million is a more likely range, depending on the sales of Wii U, and the price/bundles involved for Nintendoland.

But if it's not bundled?! Let's say 20 million copies since Sports resort and Play had those numbers...

I fail to see how 28.56 and 29.69 round off to 20 million, plus they are both still selling. WSR had 5 million last year, and will sell well again next christmas. WP will still sell a couple hundred thousand

So we have in a worst case scenario, rounding 30 down to 20, and assuming that Wii Fit will vastly underperform its predecessor for no particular reason, and then it gets 60 million.

Edit: In case it was not obvious, my 150 million prediction for the sales of those games was the 'Nintendoland is bundled, even in Japan and Wii U does well' scenario.

Around the Network

It's a good launch; but we need to see more 3rd party exclusives. Rayman, Dragon Quest and ZombiU are a good start, but it really needs more.

GTAV could do wonders, even if multiplat.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

scottie said:
DanneSandin said:
scottie said:
70-100 million sales for those games mentioned? I think you underestimate them.

Mario, Wii Fit, Nintendoland and JustDance 4 have a good chance to hit 70 million by themselves.

I would say 80-150 million is a more likely range, depending on the sales of Wii U, and the price/bundles involved for Nintendoland.

But if it's not bundled?! Let's say 20 million copies since Sports resort and Play had those numbers...

I fail to see how 28.56 and 29.69 round off to 20 million, plus they are both still selling. WSR had 5 million last year, and will sell well again next christmas. WP will still sell a couple hundred thousand

So we have in a worst case scenario, rounding 30 down to 20, and assuming that Wii Fit will vastly underperform its predecessor for no particular reason, and then it gets 60 million.

Edit: In case it was not obvious, my 150 million prediction for the sales of those games was the 'Nintendoland is bundled, even in Japan and Wii U does well' scenario.

Naaw ok, I was wrong about the numbers regarding WSR and WP. And you have to consider that Nintendo have come out and said that they're aiming the WiiU to the hard cores - which will mean that games such as Wii Fit U (and other casual titles) will not be selling as well this time around. That's why I think Wii Fit U will end up around 10 million copies - and NintendoLand could do those numbers as well if it's not bundled.

Assuming that WiiU will do as well as PS2 I'd say that this launch line up could easily sell more than 200 million games alone. But that would just be me assuming things. Without any numbers to base that on.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

Some games just matter because they are what hardcore games are all about. For example, it`s a shame that Crysis 3 isn`t coming to Wii U, but in the end, the game, in terms of sales, isn`t all that.
PS2 didn`t have the same graphical power that GC and Xbox had and it wasn`t because of that that it didn`t get the best games.

For me, the fact that Crysis or Tomb Raider isn't coming for WiiU is a sign that 3rd party isn't that excited about Nintendos new console. Or that they're taking a "watch and see" attitude; if WiiU sells well enough (and if 3rd party games sell well) they'll be onboard. Cowards :P

:D
Tomb Raider not coming to Wii U is understandable. Crysis 3 is a bit weird, i think. I actually thought it would come to Wii U. Maybe i got the wrong impression but i thought Nintendo and Crytek were working together. Assumed too much!

You can`t blame 3rd parties for waiting. Nintendo platforms since N64 haven`t been good for them.

Yeah I know... But it's a wonder that they didn't even try to do anything for Wii! I read once that Ubi had gone out and said that 45% of their income came from Wii titles... 45%!!! That's almost half of their earnings!!! From one single system... THAT should have encouraged 3rd parties to develop games. Sometimes I get the feeling that developers are just too lazy to come up with new ideas. They just keep producing the generic FPS's and other mediocre games without trying to do something new.

I agree. It compares favorably to every console/handheld. launch lineup back until GameCube (which matches it, imo) The only difference is Nintendoland likely won't be anywhere near as ubiquitous or influential as Wii Sports, but even Wii Play levels would be cool.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

Tomb Raider not coming to Wii U is understandable. Crysis 3 is a bit weird, i think. I actually thought it would come to Wii U. Maybe i got the wrong impression but i thought Nintendo and Crytek were working together. Assumed too much!

You can`t blame 3rd parties for waiting. Nintendo platforms since N64 haven`t been good for them.

Yeah I know... But it's a wonder that they didn't even try to do anything for Wii! I read once that Ubi had gone out and said that 45% of their income came from Wii titles... 45%!!! That's almost half of their earnings!!! From one single system... THAT should have encouraged 3rd parties to develop games. Sometimes I get the feeling that developers are just too lazy to come up with new ideas. They just keep producing the generic FPS's and other mediocre games without trying to do something new.

I knew Ubisoft paid for the core titles with the money they earned from Wii, but i didn`t know it was that much.
You got to remember that Wii came after GC, a console that placed 3rd last generation  - even after Xbox, the newcomer. Nobody knows how Nintendo aproached 3rd parties regarding Wii (the target base, etc.). So Wii`s bad rep. could have started since then, with developers not believing Wii could to the same for them as the HD twins.
This was the generation where the difference in power - no just graphics - was more visible and decisive then ever before. And still, it`s not true that 3rd parties just didn`t try. We had good games, we just didn`t have the top tier ones.
I`m not a developer so i don`t know what would it take to have a Wii port from a AAA Xbox 360 and PS3 game.

To be honest, i think that slowly the harcore gamers started going to Xbox 360, which came a year earlier and not only built itself a library but a market. And PS3, well, being the successor to PS2 and equivalent to Xbox 360 in terms of output, develping hardcore games for it was only natural.
Both MS and Sony had already fought for that market last gen and it was clear it would happen again. Nintendo knew, as well as 3rd parties, that going that route again wouldn`t work for them. There was no market there for them.
Not to forget that rapidly Wii became teh casual machine.

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

I knew Ubisoft paid for the core titles with the money they earned from Wii, but i didn`t know it was that much.
You got to remember that Wii came after GC, a console that placed 3rd last generation  - even after Xbox, the newcomer. Nobody knows how Nintendo aproached 3rd parties regarding Wii (the target base, etc.). So Wii`s bad rep. could have started since then, with developers not believing Wii could to the same for them as the HD twins.
This was the generation where the difference in power - no just graphics - was more visible and decisive then ever before. And still, it`s not true that 3rd parties just didn`t try. We had good games, we just didn`t have the top tier ones.
I`m not a developer so i don`t know what would it take to have a Wii port from a AAA Xbox 360 and PS3 game.

To be honest, i think that slowly the harcore gamers started going to Xbox 360, which came a year earlier and not only built itself a library but a market. And PS3, well, being the successor to PS2 and equivalent to Xbox 360 in terms of output, develping hardcore games for it was only natural.
Both MS and Sony had already fought for that market last gen and it was clear it would happen again. Nintendo knew, as well as 3rd parties, that going that route again wouldn`t work for them. There was no market there for them.
Not to forget that rapidly Wii became teh casual machine.

Yeah, you have a very good point about where core gamers went. But I still find it weird developers didn't develop casual games for Wii - like Ubi did. That worked great for them!

DanneSandin said:

Yeah, you have a very good point about where core gamers went. But I still find it weird developers didn't develop casual games for Wii - like Ubi did. That worked great for them!

It`s weird to see that the majority of developers who made casual games were the unknown developers.
Ubisoft were the biggest supporters of Wii regarding casual games in quantity and sales and after then probably Activision, Majesco.
Most developers just didn`t bother to offer anything specific, i think. So, got to give credit to Ubisoft for having the vision and supporting Wii and that market. Sure made them a lot of money and probably a reputation, too!

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:

It`s weird to see that the majority of developers who made casual games were the unknown developers.
Ubisoft were the biggest supporters of Wii regarding casual games in quantity and sales and after then probably Activision, Majesco.
Most developers just didn`t bother to offer anything specific, i think. So, got to give credit to Ubisoft for having the vision and supporting Wii and that market. Sure made them a lot of money and probably a reputation, too!

Yeah, no wonder they wanna support WiiU now - the Wii made them a fortune! :D

Talking about Ubi of course ^^

Well, the WiiU already has seven games announced which are definite purchases for me: NSMBU, Pikmin 3, DQX, SSB4, P-100, Rayman Legends and Batman (although I have a PS3, I didn't buy it on release as I had a big backlog and it came out at a similar time to imo more interesting games like Zelda SS, Tales of the Abyss 3D and Mario Kart 7).

Also, Lego City Undercover looks good as well, I'm keeping an eye on that.