By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U Launch Line Up vs. Wii U Hardware...

Train wreck said:
mike_intellivision said:
If you look at what was announced and the comments, it is clear that Nintendo did not do anything that changed the minds of many 20-something males who like to play FPSs. Instead, they showed they can offer enough to a slightly older gamer who has a family that he/she may no longer feel the need to have two console because they will get games like AC3 (which I WANT) and BM:AC (which I don't).

But then again, maybe it knew it could not do that, so it decided to go for everyone else and make a profit for its investors -- something no video game console maker (or its sector in a larger company) did last year.

And when you only make video games, that is important. The sales analysis shows in the OP also shows how little the stock analysts know. They are going on buzz of a very small demographic rather than on potential results over a wide audience.

Mike from Morgantown

microsoft gaming division made money last year.  it had one down quarter which was their most recent but they profited the previous three...

If that is the case, then I "stand corrected" (even though I am sitting as a type this).

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

I'm guessing most (not all) Wii owning hard core gamers also has one of the HD twins - and probably already played alot of these older games already. Then there's ppl like me: I got myself a Wii, but haven't gotten around getting a HD twin, just like you're suggesting. But, really, how many could it be of us?

I'm hoping they're done with all old ports by spring next year and that we start to see fresh content only there after.

As i said, i don`t know how big that user base could be, but keep in mind that there will be around 100 million wiis sold by the time Wii U comes out and that is split between casuals, Wii only owners and those who have a PS3 or Xbox 360. And even in the last group only a part has bought those games already.

It`s really hard to tell, to be honest. Let`s hope that, given the popularity of titles like ME3 and Batman and the re-worked NG 3 gather enough fans to show that 3rd partiy games are more than welcomed! That would make them invest more in Wii U and give us more than ports.

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:

I'm guessing most (not all) Wii owning hard core gamers also has one of the HD twins - and probably already played alot of these older games already. Then there's ppl like me: I got myself a Wii, but haven't gotten around getting a HD twin, just like you're suggesting. But, really, how many could it be of us?

I'm hoping they're done with all old ports by spring next year and that we start to see fresh content only there after.

As i said, i don`t know how big that user base could be, but keep in mind that there will be around 100 million wiis sold by the time Wii U comes out and that is split between casuals, Wii only owners and those who have a PS3 or Xbox 360. And even in the last group only a part has bought those games already.

It`s really hard to tell, to be honest. Let`s hope that, given the popularity of titles like ME3 and Batman and the re-worked NG 3 gather enough fans to show that 3rd partiy games are more than welcomed! That would make them invest more in Wii U and give us more than ports.

I really hope you're right: this gen I only wanna get ONE system! And as it is right now, I want more 3rd party titles than 1st. AC3 seems interesting, Darksiders2 is something I'm gonna get (unless it gets terrible reviews), B:AC I'll get for sure (got the first for PC), ZombiU seems interesting - as does Aliens - and when I've bought/tried Rayman Origins I'll now if I'm getting Legends as well. As for 1st party... NSMBU... Perhaps Pikmin3... And that's that I think =D for now at least...

Looking at that WiiU definetly looks like I'll be playing a bunch of 3rd party on it! I'm just hoping Tomb Raider gets there as well!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:

I really hope you're right: this gen I only wanna get ONE system! And as it is right now, I want more 3rd party titles than 1st. AC3 seems interesting, Darksiders2 is something I'm gonna get (unless it gets terrible reviews), B:AC I'll get for sure (got the first for PC), ZombiU seems interesting - as does Aliens - and when I've bought/tried Rayman Origins I'll now if I'm getting Legends as well. As for 1st party... NSMBU... Perhaps Pikmin3... And that's that I think =D for now at least...

Looking at that WiiU definetly looks like I'll be playing a bunch of 3rd party on it! I'm just hoping Tomb Raider gets there as well!

Me too, i only want to have Wii U and that`s it!
I guess we are keeping the track of almost the same games.

Actually, there`s an interview with Scott Moffitt from Nintendo that gives hope that Wii U`s launch/launch window line-up will get better:

"Q: You have some new games for hard-core gamers but I didn't see "Call of Duty" or "Battlefield" for the Wii U. Can you get the core gamer if you don't have those titles on there?

A: E3 for us is all about games. We're focusing on that first pillar of the three pillars of what E3 can offer. Over 20 games were unveiled. That's a pretty broad lineup. But I can assure you even more games will be coming during the launch period so if there's a favorite game that gamers like, I think there's a good chance it will be coming to the platform. .... I would expect that gamers will see an immense array of first- and third-party content at launch."
Link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2018381529_los_angeles___will_nintendos.html

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:

Actually, there`s an interview with Scott Moffitt from Nintendo that gives hope that Wii U`s launch/launch window line-up will get better:

"Q: You have some new games for hard-core gamers but I didn't see "Call of Duty" or "Battlefield" for the Wii U. Can you get the core gamer if you don't have those titles on there?

A: E3 for us is all about games. We're focusing on that first pillar of the three pillars of what E3 can offer. Over 20 games were unveiled. That's a pretty broad lineup. But I can assure you even more games will be coming during the launch period so if there's a favorite game that gamers like, I think there's a good chance it will be coming to the platform. .... I would expect that gamers will see an immense array of first- and third-party content at launch."
Link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2018381529_los_angeles___will_nintendos.html

That DOES sound encouraging! I don't give a rats ass about CoD or Battlefield - but they are a must have if Nintendo is going after the hard core! And I really don't care if WiiU won't have the same graphical prowes that PS720 - as long as it gets all 3rd party titles as well!

Around the Network

70-100 million sales for those games mentioned? I think you underestimate them.

Mario, Wii Fit, Nintendoland and JustDance 4 have a good chance to hit 70 million by themselves.

I would say 80-150 million is a more likely range, depending on the sales of Wii U, and the price/bundles involved for Nintendoland.

scottie said:
70-100 million sales for those games mentioned? I think you underestimate them.

Mario, Wii Fit, Nintendoland and JustDance 4 have a good chance to hit 70 million by themselves.

I would say 80-150 million is a more likely range, depending on the sales of Wii U, and the price/bundles involved for Nintendoland.

I think 70 million for these 4 games are quite... optimistic!

NSMBU: 20-25 million copies (remember it is launched right after NSMB2 for 3ds - could hurt sales)

Wii Fit U: 10-15 million copies (the novelty has long since died out...)

Just Dance 4: 10 million copies

NintendoLand: only possibility for this to sell millions of copies is if it's being bundle - and if that's the case it alone could reach sales of 70 million... But if it's not bundled?! Let's say 20 million copies since Sports resort and Play had those numbers...

that's about 60 million all together...

DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:

That DOES sound encouraging! I don't give a rats ass about CoD or Battlefield - but they are a must have if Nintendo is going after the hard core! And I really don't care if WiiU won't have the same graphical prowes that PS720 - as long as it gets all 3rd party titles as well!

Some games just matter because they are what hardcore games are all about. For example, it`s a shame that Crysis 3 isn`t coming to Wii U, but in the end, the game, in terms of sales, isn`t all that.
PS2 didn`t have the same graphical power that GC and Xbox had and it wasn`t because of that that it didn`t get the best games.

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

Some games just matter because they are what hardcore games are all about. For example, it`s a shame that Crysis 3 isn`t coming to Wii U, but in the end, the game, in terms of sales, isn`t all that.
PS2 didn`t have the same graphical power that GC and Xbox had and it wasn`t because of that that it didn`t get the best games.

For me, the fact that Crysis or Tomb Raider isn't coming for WiiU is a sign that 3rd party isn't that excited about Nintendos new console. Or that they're taking a "watch and see" attitude; if WiiU sells well enough (and if 3rd party games sell well) they'll be onboard. Cowards :P

DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

For me, the fact that Crysis or Tomb Raider isn't coming for WiiU is a sign that 3rd party isn't that excited about Nintendos new console. Or that they're taking a "watch and see" attitude; if WiiU sells well enough (and if 3rd party games sell well) they'll be onboard. Cowards :P

:D
Tomb Raider not coming to Wii U is understandable. Crysis 3 is a bit weird, i think. I actually thought it would come to Wii U. Maybe i got the wrong impression but i thought Nintendo and Crytek were working together. Assumed too much!

You can`t blame 3rd parties for waiting. Nintendo platforms since N64 haven`t been good for them.