By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U games to run at 720p, 30 fps.

noname2200 said:
Squilliam said:

The Wii U has all the important parts right.

1. CPU power is usually the most non negotiable part of the system and the hardest part to scale and it looks like they weighted the system towards this end.

2. It is capable in terms of RAM, I.E. next generation games will be able to fit in memory.

3. It is compatible with the technology. DX10 can still emulate DX11 shaders for instance.

4. Visuals are the easiest to scale RAM and CPUs are much harder, thats why they focused on these areas.  In a nutshell the next generation games will look like arse relative to the next generation PS4/XB3 but at least they'll be portable and they'll run as compared to this generation.

Are we expecting PS2 -> GC/Xbox level comparisons here, or...?

Pretty much. I don't think MS and Sony especially are going to have the power jumps that fanboys are expecting.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
noname2200 said:
Squilliam said:

1. CPU power is usually the most non negotiable part of the system and the hardest part to scale and it looks like they weighted the system towards this end.

2. It is capable in terms of RAM, I.E. next generation games will be able to fit in memory.

3. It is compatible with the technology. DX10 can still emulate DX11 shaders for instance.

4. Visuals are the easiest to scale RAM and CPUs are much harder, thats why they focused on these areas.  In a nutshell the next generation games will look like arse relative to the next generation PS4/XB3 but at least they'll be portable and they'll run as compared to this generation.

Pretty much. I don't think MS and Sony especially are going to have the power jumps that fanboys are expecting.

Me neither, which is something I've been saying for the past...three? four? years now. It's kind of refreshing to know it's becoming more and more the mainstream opinion.

Of course, being a complete hipster, I'll abandon ship as soon as thinking that becomes "cool." >_>

And there's still the chance that a hardware developer goes nuts and decides to listen to Epic. Won't they be in for a nasty shock... -_-

Well MS seems to be concerned more and more about making profit from its Xbox division. Sony simply can't afford it. Their financial situation is terrible.

720 vs 1080 is not a big deal to me, i feel like its one of those specs that people critique but really isn't that substantial. Like comparing a 10 megapixel camera with an 11 megapixel....really?

the worst part of this thread are the people who act like it really is only 720/30fps when 30fps comes into play when the console has to stream to two gamepads, the console is clearly going to be capable of 1080p/60fps or 1080/30fps with two gamepads, but its jump on the doom train at every opportunity in Nintendo threads, so there you go.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Squilliam said:

Probably Dreamcast -> Xbox in terms of performance is probably the closest bet. You're looking at something which is newer and has a higher power budget on a newer process node, in console terms it's probably half a generation.

Maybe like this:

http://www.segatech.com/technical/consolecompare/index.html

Tease.