By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton Talks PS4: “We’ve Never Been First, Never Been Cheapest”

Ajescent said:
dahuman said:
Ajescent said:
dahuman said:

.............Tretton, you say the dumbest shit as usual, not that I'm surprised, not one bit....

Why is this "dumb"?

Because those are hollow words served as an excuse to not make SONY look bad to the press. Not being first was the reason the 360 prevailed, never being cheapest is the reason so many people don't pick up their products at the start. It's happening again with the 3DS where they are getting totally raped due to both reasons! AGAIN!

PS: The best machine they've built during an era was the PS1 era, the rest were questionable, but obviously the PS3 is a better and more powerful hardware than Wii, but not totally so vs the 360 when talking about ease of dev/cost/power ratio when things were more expensive.

But no part of it was a lie, it's what they've done since day one and it worked for the PS1 and 2 and depending on what angle you look at it, the psp...so again I asked "dumb"?

current result with Sony speaks for itself, you needn't even question me on it when the numbers are clear.

Around the Network

Did I say PS3 had the least % failure rate? Where? Show me. The Wii had such a low failure rate as it was based on proven older tech. Maybe The Wii's failure rate was so low because people hardly game'd on it? See I can be ignorant too.

Lets just see next gen.

Yay!!!

Sony need to learn that being the good guys doesnt always mean your gonna win.

If this guy was referencing to the rrod fiasco. Then I say this in response.

MS did what they had to do to survive.

Yay!!!

dahuman said:
Ajescent said:
dahuman said:
Ajescent said:
dahuman said:

.............Tretton, you say the dumbest shit as usual, not that I'm surprised, not one bit....

Why is this "dumb"?

Because those are hollow words served as an excuse to not make SONY look bad to the press. Not being first was the reason the 360 prevailed, never being cheapest is the reason so many people don't pick up their products at the start. It's happening again with the 3DS where they are getting totally raped due to both reasons! AGAIN!

PS: The best machine they've built during an era was the PS1 era, the rest were questionable, but obviously the PS3 is a better and more powerful hardware than Wii, but not totally so vs the 360 when talking about ease of dev/cost/power ratio when things were more expensive.

But no part of it was a lie, it's what they've done since day one and it worked for the PS1 and 2 and depending on what angle you look at it, the psp...so again I asked "dumb"?

current result with Sony speaks for itself, you needn't even question me on it when the numbers are clear.

My complaint with your comment is the suggestion that the strategy has never worked.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

I never realized how expensive the PS2 was, even though it had the worst graphics of the gen it was the most expensive along with Xbox at launch, even $100 more then Gamecube. According to wikipedia the PS2 was actually 500 euros!? at launch, both Xbox and gamecube was at around 200 euros. Thats crazy!!

I guess that was probably why Sony was so cocky with the PS3.

Gilgamesh said:

I never realized how expensive the PS2 was, even though it had the worst graphics of the gen it was the most expensive along with Xbox at launch, even $100 more then Gamecube. According to wikipedia the PS2 was actually 500 euros!? at launch, both Xbox and gamecube was at around 200 euros. Thats crazy!!

Serious question: Are you trying to con me into checking the wikipedia page or did some fool really change the PS2 article?

Millenium said:
Gilgamesh said:

Serious question: Are you trying to con me into checking the wikipedia page or did some fool really change the PS2 article?

My guess is that is in Euros relative to the release, not today's exchange rate.

Since the Euro wasn't used when the PS2 launched, it sold for 2990 FF in France and 869 DM in Germany. 

However, in Euros at the time of conversion, it would have been less then 500 Euro in both France (456) and Germany (445), but other European nations may have been higher.

I'm pretty sure the Playstation was cheaper than the Saturn or N64. Anyways, Sony needs to make sure PS4 is a home run or else their gaming department is in danger. Here's a few pointers.

1. Keep it affordable, they don't need to be cheapest but nothing over 300$.

2. Massive marketing campaign, PS2 had an awful launch lineup and was a fairly expensive console for the time. Yet it still had a huge launch thanks to a great marketing campaign. Sony didn't even bother marketing the Vita which is one of the biggest reasons for it's low success.

3.Backwards compatibility, Sony pioneered BC and made it a huge selling point for the PS2. Ideally the PS4 should be BC with every Sony home console. Realistically, just PlayStation 3 would be fine.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I dont understand. By making the best they killed their PS2 marketshare and Vita isnt doing good at all against 3DS.

Hardware doesnt sell a system, games do. So make *affordable and competitive* hardware and let your games do the talking.

Because by making the best your driving up costs, giving your competition an edge, and alienating a big chunk of the potential market.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.