By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - God of War 2 director talks Wii development

Upon some quick research it turn out FFX cost $33 million to make, my bad, dunno where I read $100 from but it was stated somewhere in a mag.

Around the Network

Hmmm, I did not realize that it cost so much to make games for the PS3/360... MGS will have to sell upwards of 2 million before Konami will even make a profit.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

weren't Ninty fanboys dissing this guy when he said SMG had a crap storyline...

why the sudden change of opinion??

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
weren't Ninty fanboys dissing this guy when he said SMG had a crap storyline...

why the sudden change of opinion??

First of all, no one here has praised him, just said his comments were interesting.  Second, (most) people just pointed out that Mario has never had a good storyline, and that it's not the type of game that would benefit from it.

70 million?

Man how many copies of MGS4 will be needed to break even on that? 2-3 million?

Around the Network

If MGS4 dev really cost like 70m not counting advertising I think they would have to sell something like 4m copies to break even.

Personally, I thought this was the most interesting snippet:

"Making a 40 or 50 million dollar game is cool, I love making big games don’t get me wrong, but you have soooo many more masters with their hands in the creative pot when that kind of money is getting thrown around."

I had never really considered that as a downside to the expensive big budget games. I suppose it's true that a high budget could actually limit your creativity more than help it, because when a developer invests that kind of money they expect you to play it safe. I also wonder if this is specifically him complaining about constraints he was put under for God of War 2.

naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Meaningless.

Actions speak louder than words and, until we see developers taking action on the Wii, all their talk is meaingless.

Not nearly as meaningless as your reply. Of course people would rather see action, but the opinions of major developers are important as well. His is especially interesting because he used to be a big attacker of the Wii.

You don't know the opinions of major developers.

What you know is what comes out in press statements and interviews which may or may not reflect reality as they see it.  Haven't you heard enough double-talk to realize that taking pretty much any public statement at face value is folly?

The fact that this guy "used to be a big attacker of the Wii" and is suddenly going full throttle in the opposite direction should be sounding some warning bells at any rate.

I was inclined to not trust such an "enthusiastic" [read: not professional] reply after the Rol debacle, and I am inclined to not trust links after DonWii and twesterms sigs.

however the replies by naz seem ok, so I will have to trust for now.

If you sell a game at 60$, the developper usually gets about 30% at best, so let's say Konami will get 20$ from each MGS4 sold. So to break even if the game actually cost 70 million, they have to sell 3.5 million copies.