By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - God of War 2 director talks Wii development

^very true

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Interesting. Even MORE good news for the Wii in 2008.

Maybe our "third parties will jump ship to the Wii in 2008" theory will be right after all...

I wouldn't say it means he's necessarily going to make anything.  I'm pretty sure Cory Barlog is by and large owned by Sony.  However, it's interesting that he pointed how how much cheaper it is and even more interesting that he pointed out big budget development limits creativity.

routsounmanman said:
ArtofAngels said:
Hey Rol, how are you Galaxy?

Better.

Brilliant.

To those who are trying to figure out how many copies MGS4 will have to sell to break even, there are a couple things to keep in mind:

1. This guy is making an off-the-cuff remark which seems to be based on hearsay. He's clearly in a position to get some interesting rumours on this subject, but still...

2. Isn't MGS4's development being heavily subsidized by Sony to secure exclusivity, or at least timed exclusivity? Who knows how much of that $70 Million is already paid for.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

FishyJoe said:

If MGS4 really costs $70 million, it's going to need 3-4 million sales just to break even.

That would put into context MGS4 needing 1 million sales on the first day.

Indeed. When I saw that statement, I thought it was pretty strange, but this puts it in a new light. MGS3 sold 3.96 million, which means MGS4 has to sell as much as its predecessor just to break even.

HappySqurriel said:

I wonder if anyone remembers when we found out the size of the development team of Metal Gear Solid 4 and I estimated the budget at $40 to $80 Million and was attacked by Sony fans that it would NEVER cost more than $20 Million ...

I do in fact remember that. I remember some people were saying that you had no idea of how much a developer costs in Japan, even though we all know it's a very expensive country to live in. It's now proven that you were spot-on with your calculations.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
FishyJoe said:

If MGS4 really costs $70 million, it's going to need 3-4 million sales just to break even.

Indeed. When I saw that statement, I thought it was pretty strange, but this puts it in a new light. MGS3 sold 3.96 million, which means MGS4 has to sell as much as its predecessor just to break even.

HappySqurriel said:

I wonder if anyone remembers when we found out the size of the development team of Metal Gear Solid 4 and I estimated the budget at $40 to $80 Million and was attacked by Sony fans that it would NEVER cost more than $20 Million ...

I do in fact remember that. I remember some people were saying that you had no idea of how much a developer costs in Japan, even though we all know it's a very expensive country to live in. It's now proven that you were spot-on with your calculations.

Doesnt matter much if Sony is paying for most of the development costs. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Translation: I like Monies!

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Financially it should matter actually, because it is essential now for not one, but two companies that thje game sells well enough to recoup the losses, for Sony being the laid out money for MGS 4 exclusivity and for Konami to cover developement and gain a healthy profit. Konami is in a better position because it gets more out of the money but what about Sony? How many times will it pay up to keep exclusives? MS is in a better position in these terms from my standpoint.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

ssj12 said:
NJ5 said:
FishyJoe said:

HappySqurriel said:

Indeed. But what about the next game? (not a next MGS, another 50+ million $ game) What if this happens to FFXIII as well? Will Sony be able to fund all those projects? Will they want to? Will the 3rd parties think it's worth it or they'll switch to cheaper games / platforms?

ssj12 said:
NJ5 said:
FishyJoe said:

HappySqurriel said:

It does if Sony's gaming division is looking to get out of the red any time soon.

If MGS4 cost 70 million and Wii games are a billion times cheaper then that would mean you can expect a lot of 7 cents games for the Wii. If cheaper games is where games are heading then no need to worry about the next generation of consoles.