Probably right 56 18.01%

Probably wrong 122 39.23%

Absolutely crazy 99 31.83%

Total:311
NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
NintendoPie said:

I was focusing on that part.

That is just blatant statements. We don't know what the price is, it's been said that Wii U is very strong, and calling it a gimmick is pathetic. I hate when a company comes out with something new and different and people brand it as a gimmick, that's ridiculous.

Just because your connotation to the word 'gimmick' is negative doesn't mean mine is. A gimmick can be a good thing in my book, and Nintendo has had great gimmicks in the Wii, DS and 3DS, this was a major point in the OP.

And ofcourse we don't know what the price is and how powerful it is, that's why I assessed multiple scenarios.

What the heck?! When has the word gimmick ever been a good thing, APM? When I read gimmick I read it as something that's just tacked on their for appeal to the masses, something cheap. I find it weird that you went with that word, but whatever. 

That was the "summary" so I was guessing it was supposed to sum up what you said in the rest of the OP. 

gim·mick/ˈgimik/

Noun:
A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Also, if I describe a gimmick as lackluster that should imply I think other gimmicks aren't.

Sorry for the misunderstanding pie

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:

gim·mick/ˈgimik/

Noun:

Also, if I describe a gimmick as lackluster that should imply I think other gimmicks aren't.

Sorry for the misunderstanding Pie

See, that's what I thought you were meaning.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, APM. :P

NintendoPie said:
duckypwns said:
NintendoPie said:
duckypwns said:

So here is what became of our little buddy MUGEN in case anybody was wondering LMAO

Let this be a lesson learned - Simply laughing at something is not a valid rebuttal. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

You don't just post your PM. Especially one that shows that both of you were being immature in your arguements.

How was I being immature? By telling him he needed to stand by what he said?

So I'm guessing this MUGEN guy gets a free pass on everything he says around here?

Reading over your PM you sounded immature.

I said both of you were being immature, not just you. So no, he does not.

Ok, that doesn't change anything though. Simply saying that I was "being immature" doesn't make it true.Applying an adjective to both people doesn't make you neutral or correct by default. Nothing I really said was immature. Did you even read my first post to him, and his response to me? All you really need to read is the first two posts, that pretty much sums both of our attitudes up completely.

Edit: Also, stop talking about this now, the topicality has slowly changed and we are discussing different things now. Everything that was needed to be said about this has been said.

NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
gim·mick/ˈgimik/

Noun:

Sorry for the misunderstanding Pie

See, that's what I thought you were meaning.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, APM. :P

And that's what I do mean, the word 'gimmick' is only given negative connotations, not defined as something negative

@duckypwns

It's obvious you wanted to provoke him to get a response out of him. The fact that you posted your private messages here for everyone to see all but confirms this.

Around the Network

Andrespetmonkey 8 hours ago

"Let's look at the last 16 years of Nintendo's history, what have been it's greatest successes? The Wii, the DS and arguably now that sales have taken off, the 3DS. What do these platforms have in common? A great gimmick and a low price. The Wii is the least technologically advanced console of this gen by a wide margin, but thanks to being the first company to put motion controls in the mainstream and also being the cheapest console of the 3, it's leading in marketshare. The DS was well behind the PSP in power, but also well behind in price and it sported dual screens, something brand new to gaming, so it's achieved well over double the sales the PSP achieved. The 3DS is also lacking in the power department, especially when compared to it's closest rival, but it's also got 3D without glasses - a great gimmick, and after the massive $80 price cut, a low price.

What happens when a Nintendo console doesn't have a great gimmick and a low price? Well, Nintendo 64 and Gamecube happened, selling just over 50 million units combined; not terrible, but that's nothing compared to what any current gen console has accomplished. I think the Wii U will go down the same road. If the Wii U is going to be similar to Durango and Orbis in terms of hardware capabilities, then it loses the first major selling point it needs, the low price. Now, the Wii U does have one major feature seperating it from the other 2 consoles, the tablet controller, but it won't be enough. Motion controls were brand new when the Wii came out, dual screens were brand new when the DS came out and 3D without glasses was brand new when the 3DS came out. Tablet gaming, however, is something casuals have been doing for the last 4 years, and it's only going to get bigger. The Wii U's gimmick isn't anything new, it isn't as innovative as it's predecessors gimmick, so the Wii U loses the second major selling point of Nintendos greatest successes.

What if Nintendo go for a low price point for the Wii U? Now it not only has a gimmick that won't move units, but it's also lacking third party support. It has only it's first party software and die-hard Nintendo fans to rely on, and there are only so many Rolstoppables and NintendoPies out there, enough to make the Wii U a decent success, but not enough to truly compete with rival platforms.

Summary:

Low price = less power = no 3rd party support aswell as lackluster gimmick

High price = more power = loses major selling point of Ninty systems aswell as having a lackluster gimmick, bad sales could possibly lead to the loss of 3rd party support aswell"

congrats, really nice trolling

Hibern81 said:

I think everyone is missing something very important here, and that is everyone owns a Nintendo to play first party exclusives.  If Nintendo does everything right with the Wii U (which so far it sounds like they are) and third party titles become a constant fixture on the system, Nintendo has pretty much cut out the middle men (Sony and Microsoft).  There are just not enough first party games on the other systems that I would consider must owns to constitute buying a second system in the next generation.  I see Nintendo running away with the next gneration, or at worst coming in a strong second.

That strategy didn't really work out for the gamecube though, did it? (Although the gamecube had a whole heap of problems of its own).

Also, I'm not sure how true that second part is either.  Depends who you are I guess.  For example, I've grown slightly tired of Nintendo first-party franchises because they don't change very much between installments (best example of this: Animal Crossing).  They'll show flashes of brilliance here and there (Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy) and that's great, but it's not enough for me to invest in a console.

To clarify - I'm not saying that Nintendo first-party franchises aren't strong - of course they are, they're the best in the business.  But more and more people, especially among people I know (although this is just colloqial), have no interest in playing slightly tweaked versions of 20 year old formulas.

By comparison, I think especially Sony - but to some degree Microsoft - have been better at providing new IP's with first-party franchises, and that's what I buy into a lot more.  Sony is pretty self-explanatory, but Microsoft too did very well at the start of this generation with providing console exclusives.  I guess we'll have to see what the next gen holds.

Nintendo's "baseline" goal should be to beat Sony for the no.2 spot worldwide by a comfortable margin.

They have stronger internal franchises than Sony does, they now can actually outspend Sony (hello there Monster Hunter 3DS) because of Sony's eroded financial standing, and the Wii brand is just as well known as the Playstation brand now, and they have a full year headstart.

They may have to "settle" for a smaller sized userbase than the first Wii, but can make up for it by attracting more core users that spend more on games.

It will be first or second imo.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Kresnik said:
Hibern81 said:

I think everyone is missing something very important here, and that is everyone owns a Nintendo to play first party exclusives.  If Nintendo does everything right with the Wii U (which so far it sounds like they are) and third party titles become a constant fixture on the system, Nintendo has pretty much cut out the middle men (Sony and Microsoft).  There are just not enough first party games on the other systems that I would consider must owns to constitute buying a second system in the next generation.  I see Nintendo running away with the next gneration, or at worst coming in a strong second.

That strategy didn't really work out for the gamecube though, did it? (Although the gamecube had a whole heap of problems of its own).

Also, I'm not sure how true that second part is either.  Depends who you are I guess.  For example, I've grown slightly tired of Nintendo first-party franchises because they don't change very much between installments (best example of this: Animal Crossing).  They'll show flashes of brilliance here and there (Metroid Prime, Super Mario Galaxy) and that's great, but it's not enough for me to invest in a console.

To clarify - I'm not saying that Nintendo first-party franchises aren't strong - of course they are, they're the best in the business.  But more and more people, especially among people I know (although this is just colloqial), have no interest in playing slightly tweaked versions of 20 year old formulas.

By comparison, I think especially Sony - but to some degree Microsoft - have been better at providing new IP's with first-party franchises, and that's what I buy into a lot more.  Sony is pretty self-explanatory, but Microsoft too did very well at the start of this generation with providing console exclusives.  I guess we'll have to see what the next gen holds.

If anything Nintendo needs to revert to older formulas of their games if they want their games to sell more consoles. NSMBWii is almost case in point here, while Sony struggles to build real system-sellers, even as they have a strong and diverse base of software.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.