By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Classic Final Fantasy (I-X) fans, come post

Tagged games:

I thought this thread was about I-IX?

Can we talk about Tactics? Mystic Quest (is that even actually a Final Fantasy game?)

What about crystal Chronicles? The FFVII chronicles/collection including Crisis Core, Before Crisis, and Dirge of Cerberus? what are the rules?!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

I think this thread is about all FF's made before the merger with Enix.

^You got it.

Let's talk as much as possible about the mainline final fantasies prior to the merger, but it'll be okay to talk about other FF games too as long as we keep the focus on I-X as much as possible.

But most important rule of the thread:
Share your most beloved Squaresoft FF memories so we can remember them together.

Example:
I remember the first time I got out of the main area in Final Fantasy I after using the TNT to blow that portion of land that led you to the fifth town (which I just ffwiki'd is called melmond). It was like finally entering into a new world.

for me it ended with IX, while ignoring VIII completely...

walsufnir said:
for me it ended with IX, while ignoring VIII completely...

Wow, that's exactly what I think.

At least we got a great ending with number IX - and there's some well-made substitutes for the main series.

Around the Network

one of the greatest moment for me: beating this damn demon wall in IV! i played the fan-translated japanese version and had to reload an old savegame to grind more to beat this hell of a boss!

walsufnir said:
one of the greatest moment for me: beating this damn demon wall in IV! i played the fan-translated japanese version and had to reload an old savegame to grind more to beat this hell of a boss!

Was the Japanese version harder? Because I don't remember struggling against that particular boss in FFIV.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
walsufnir said:

Was the Japanese version harder? Because I don't remember struggling against that particular boss in FFIV.

it was - square edited ff4 for the us.

http://www.finalfantasyiv.net/general-information/ff4-product-history.aspx

It's sad that the Japanese think so little of our gaming skills. I think Lost Levels (the real Super Mario Bros. 2) was never released in the US because it was too hard for us.

Signature goes here!

walsufnir said:
TruckOSaurus said:
walsufnir said:

it was - square edited ff4 for the us.

http://www.finalfantasyiv.net/general-information/ff4-product-history.aspx

A little less awesome than yours, I found this point by point really revealing. I did find IV DS more difficult and even much more interesting (the augment system and namingway sub-quest) than IV on the SNES, probs because it remains faithful to the original (hardtype). Trucks you might find this helpful:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Version_Differences