By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Classic Final Fantasy (I-X) fans, come post

Tagged games:

brendude13 said:

XIII is my second favourite. Am I banned from this thread?

VII will always be, not only my favourite Final Fantasy, but favourite game. No game is perfect, but VII comes pretty damn close.

As far as my threads go, brendude is always welcome.

Runa, have you ever heard of rpgmaker? I'm sure some of us on vgchartz wouldn't mind getting their hands dirty on a fan project.

Around the Network

@Kaneada Can't agree more with your signature. :)

My Home. I thoroughly enjoy the classic series most definitely. I am also fond of FF7, FF8, and FF10 as well. I have an uncanny fascination for FF4, obviously

happydolphin said:

Runa, have you ever heard of rpgmaker? I'm sure some of us on vgchartz wouldn't mind getting their hands dirty on a fan project.

I have heard of it, but let's just say the amount of detail needed to fully encapsulate the world is nothing short of massive.  I'd need to build it from the ground up to encapsulate all the combat features, options, worlds, etc.  It's a project for the future. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Kinneas14 said:

Can you remember how amazing FFIX's soundtrack was?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxZlJGtFGcw

yes! IX was soooo good after the big disappointment of VIII - i enjoyed this game soo much. it made me believe that square would return to "old paths" but we know how the story went...

i also liked VII but had to get used to it in the beginning. the first 3 games for nes were so hard to play it was almost redicolous. i remember playing them long time after i finished VI (what was just the greatest rpg-experience i ever had back then) and said "f***" so often i couldn't count. when enemies disappeared but were targeted before they missed! "hey, there is another enemy! strike him instead!" but my plea wasn't heard...

Around the Network

Just one question? Why is X considered classic? It's basically the first modern FF, and it also had most of the problems that people complain about in the last two games (XII-XIII). I actually think it's one of the worst FF games, and can't for the life of me figure out why it gets praise while XIII gets so much hate. IMO they are in the same league, and I would definitely re-play XIII over X.

Wakka is the worst guy ever, he makes Snow look awesome. And there isn't a single moment in the game involving Vanille that even comes close to the horrible laughing scene with Tidus and Yuna.

PearlJam said:
Just one question? Why is X considered classic? It's basically the first modern FF, and it also had most of the problems that people complain about in the last two games (XII-XIII). I actually think it's one of the worst FF games, and can't for the life of me figure out why it gets praise while XIII gets so much hate. IMO they are in the same league, and I would definitely re-play XIII over X.

Wakka is the worst guy ever, he makes Snow look awesome. And there isn't a single moment in the game involving Vanille that even comes close to the horrible laughing scene with Tidus and Yuna.

simple: Final Fantasy X allowed you to completely control your entire party rather than just one (and getting a game over if that one dies), and while the game was linear, it actually had side quests, minigames, and endgame content, a memorable villain, and a lead character that actually DEVELOPS (he goes from being a whiny, insfferable prick to a genuine selfless hero...if that isn't character development, I don't know what is.) 

And I'd take Wakka over Hope any day.  Wakka was an ignorant, prejudiced athlete who had to come to terms with his bigotry and grow to be a better person, blach blah.  my point is, in spite of all the complaints about FFX, the fact remains that it was a fantastic game with a VERY well done story and some of the best, most developed characters in the series. Only thing it was really lacking compared to 1-9 was a world map, which is sorely missed but it works. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Who remembers the bane sword from FF1? What a beast when used as an item :D

PearlJam said:

XIII gets hate because it was riduclously linear and was nothing but fights interspersed with story. In a 50+ hour game you expect some variety and FFX offered that in the form of the the temple puzzles and the Blitzball mini-game. Even though X was very linear it also had more freedom in that it actually had branching paths from the start and you could return to any of the areas once you got on the airship. It also did a much better job of allowing the player to explore and discover elements in the world with stuff like the the Al Bhed primers teaching allowing you to learn their language rather than forcing you to use a datalog/encylopedia.

Another complaint about both XII and XIII is the battle system becomes far too automated and removes the player. Personally I didn't think it was too much of a problem in XII as you strategise before hand but I can understand the complaint a little in XIII. X on the other hand gave complete control of your party, allowed party switching mid-fight and was an appropriate evolution of the old ATB system.

Basically, whilst FFX was linear and suffered from a number of problems associated with modern FF's (I'd go as far as to say it was the starting point of the problems), it still retained some of the classic elements of Final Fantasy.

Oh, and yes, the dialogue was atrocious but is often forgiven because it was the first game in the series to have voice acting.

Runa216 said:
PearlJam said:

simple: Final Fantasy X allowed you to completely control your entire party rather than just one (and getting a game over if that one dies), and while the game was linear, it actually had side quests, minigames, and endgame content, a memorable villain, and a lead character that actually DEVELOPS (he goes from being a whiny, insfferable prick to a genuine selfless hero...if that isn't character development, I don't know what is.) 

And I'd take Wakka over Hope any day.  Wakka was an ignorant, prejudiced athlete who had to come to terms with his bigotry and grow to be a better person, blach blah.  my point is, in spite of all the complaints about FFX, the fact remains that it was a fantastic game with a VERY well done story and some of the best, most developed characters in the series. Only thing it was really lacking compared to 1-9 was a world map, which is sorely missed but it works. 

I forgot to mention the characters in my reply to PearlJam but I agree completely with the bolded.