By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Classic Final Fantasy (I-X) fans, come post

Tagged games:

darkknightkryta said:
Kinneas14 said:

What do you guys think about FF XII?

I know that it was/is an abused topic, but I'm doubtful about it.

It's one of the few games that I bought on day1, I remember that I was super excited, but for me it was a let down, in general.

Characters, and the story, were bland, and not deep enough. For example how the heck is Ashe supposed to team up with Basch if she thinks that he killed his father?! And Vaan, somebody said that Square-Enix made him in a way that the player would identify himself....bah, that's not an excuse to make such a soulless main character.

Talking about combat system, it was a good idea, Gambit were something fresh, but at a certain point of the game I was so strong that I defeated King Behemot (yes, King Behemot!!) without touching the controller. So I feel like it was a missed opportunity, it seemed a good strategy system, but it ended up taking to the player the possibility to control the party.

In conclusion, I really like FFXII as a "normal" game, in fact I think that if it wasn't called FF, everybody would have said that it was a masterpiece, but, for me, it was a bad/decent FF (better than XIII, though).

My biggest problem with Final Fantasy XII was actually gameplay/style issues.  Most of the game takes place in these dark, barren dungeons.  And while the combat system wasn't bad, and it was thought out, there just wasn't any strategy.  Mist charges were a BIG mistake, it made me not summon cause I'd rather waste my charges on the quickens.  They gave you so many magicks, yet they were all useless cause melee is a better option.  As far as the story goes, the dialogue itself was well written, but the overall plot was lacking in focus.  We find out that Ashe wants to get revenge on Vayne and get her kingdom back, which is good... until they completely loose focus and start focusing on these elder gods and their war against the fallen god who was helping Vayne.  They didn't build up Vayne at all and the worse I've seen of him was killing his father.  The judges were wasted as most of them died with no build up.  Vaan and Penelo were unfortunately shoehorned into the story, which wouldn't have been so bad had they developed the plot point of Vaan seeing Ashe's husband just to say he never saw him and it was his brother... and that still didn't lead anywhere other than Ashe being controlled by the elder gods vs Vayne being controlled by the fallen god.  You know what would have been a good idea?  Cutting out the "gods" from the story.  Like there's a lot there, the fall of Nabudice (However it's spelled), Cid being Balthier's father, the manufactured nethicite, etc.  It's just all these plot points play second fiddle half way through the game for the god story arc.  Last point on the subject, but I think this game is where Square's problems starting showing.  Their inability to understand their fanbase, I'm sure iMatsuno was forced off the project cause Wada/Kitase/Toriyama don't understand their fanbase and assume the contrived writing in their current games is what is wanted.  I mean Final Fantasy XII could have had the most mature and well written story of them all, but it was never meant to be.

I agree with a lot of what's written above. Whilst XII had some enjoyable moments and although I enjoyed the battle system, there were too many elements that felt out of place. The story was told poorly even though it had some of the most interesting plotlines in the series. I'd also agree that it's where SE started to show problems. Great ideas that weren't entirely fleshed out due to poor business decisions.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Kinneas14 said:
Kresnik said:
Being a fan of VII, VIII and IX makes me a fan of 'classic' Final Fantasy? Awesome! (I always feel like I can't join in because I never played I - VI at the time, and haven't gotten around to it yet).

Anyway, FF VIII is probably my favourite game ever. At least a tied first, if not alone on the #1 spot. I love it. The atmosphere (warring gardens and mystical sorceresses), the explorable world it's in (Esther, Balalmb, everything was just so beautiful) the battles, the characters (o/), the story, junctioning, the ridiculous OTT summons, everything. It's fantastic.

I also love VII and IX. Didn't really see any major shift in quality between those 3 titles. VII was the first one I played so it has a kind of special place in my heart, while IX was the last one that I played which I really, really loved...

Yeah, didn't care for X at all. All the things I loved about VIII (characters, setting, freedom etc.) just seemed stripped out of that game and didn't impress me at all. I should go back and play it again one day, but I did get 60+ hours in and don't really have any desire to see it all again.

You have a Spyro avatar and your favourite game ever is FFVIII. It seems we have the same videogame taste!

Ahh excellent, an Irvine avatar.  It would appear that you too have excellent videogame taste!

Spyro: Year of the Dragon would be the other game I mentioned that has a possibility of tying with FFVIII for the #1 spot :>

Oh yeah! The good old childhood. Year of the Dragon was awesome, probably the best in terms of variety, but all the first three Spyros were really good.

Anyway, let's stop talking about Spyro, because if I think how it is now, I'm gonna cry...a lot.

My first Final Fantasy (and the game responsible for my love of video games) was FFVII. I had honestly never before played a game with a world that interesting. As soon as I saw Aeris walk out of the alley and the city of Midgar came into view I got excited. Then of course hearing the bombing mission song, I knew something epic was in wait for me. Avalanche jumps off the train and takes out some guards (R.I.P. Jesse, Bigs, and Wedge T_T). Cloud flips off and Barret goes " C'mon newcomer. Follow me." I was like "EEEEEGGAASSPP!" I played the hell out of that game and loved every second of it. I'm a big fan of all the spin offs too!

FFVIII: I remember seeing a cardboard cut out of Squall, Rinoa, and Seifer (like on the cover) I freaked out. The draw system was a little annoying but I still love the games. I always laugh at the scene in the transport right before the SeeD field exam. Where Zell and Seifer at messin with each other. "chicken wuss" lol. Also, I really liked the whole romance between Squall and Rinoa. Infact, the scene I probably associate the most with FFVIII is the ballroom dance scene. Oh, and FFVIII introduced Laguna, nuff said xD.

FFIX: At first I didn't even want to play the game because of how the characters looked. But I eventually warmed up to it and i'm glad I did. The cities/kingdoms in FFIX were beautiful. The worlds really felt alive, and I was excited to be walking through it. The combat seemed a bit more refined and everything was really smooth. The story was great and I distinctly remember trying to figure out if Kuja was a guy or a girl. Those hips haha. Vivi was was adorable too, always triping :p.

FFX: I enjoyed 10 as well. I'll never forget the scene where Yuna performs the sending. "People die, and Yuna dances." The battle theme gets stuck in my head from time to time even now ha. I loved the game and I played through it alot, but i've replayed the others since but not this one since I lost my ps2 in a flood. Shame, mabey i'll get the HD version when it comes out.

FFXII: I adored this game. Loved the setting (thanks FF Tactics and Vagrant story teehee). I know a lot of people didn't like the gambit system, but you could always turn it off sooo? The one problem I had with the game was that I didn't care for Vaan all that much. I didn't hate him or anything, but I always preferred to run around as either Balthier or Basch.

FFXIII and FFXIII-2: Okay, I don't HATE FFXIII like a lot of fans do, but I don't necessarily love it either. I felt (I believe someone said it earlier in the thread) that they felt like anime soap operas. Way to cliche in my opinion. In fact, i could get past the battle system and how linear it was (though I prefer world maps >_<) but the biggest turn off for me was definitely the cheesey dialogue and characters. When playing any other FF, if someone else was in the room and a cutscene was going on, they were immediately impressed or thought I was watching a movie or something. I LIKED showing them the cutscenes. But with FFXIII and FFXIII-2 I was almost embarrassed if someone was in the room with me, sometimes i'd get embarrassed playing by myself lol. Not bashing them they were decent games but they didn't feel "Final Fantasy ish" enough to me.

I have played the nes games recently too. FFVI felt amazing. I was immediately addicted to that game! FFIV was also really fun and my friend loved the hell out of it so it always gave us something to talk about. FFIII (the DS one) was really fun and I was glad to see the job system back in place! FF1 and 2 I had played on my gba and it was really interesting to see where the franchise I love so much had got its roots.  I have yet to play FFV, not for any reason, just never had a chance to play.

Out of every Final Fantasy game I have played however, Final Fantasy:Tactics was by far the one that I put the most amount of hours into. The job system is so freaking addicting and I love the fact that you can hire your own troops and give them names. The story was very mature and the characters all had very real and interesting motives. It is by far my favorite strategy game ever and definitely one of my favorite Final Fantasy games of all time.

I believe Square will get things back on track. They messed up (in my opinion) with FFXIII and FFXIII-2 and they know it. They got feedback from it and hopefully they will learn from it. As a franchise, I'm not too worried. I know more good things will come. There, that's my piece :p

I consider myself a somewhat long-time Final Fantasy fan. I started following the series back in 1994 with FFVI, and have played every main entry since then, as well as going back to play the earlier games. I'm probably one of the few FF fans who has been able to enjoy every FF game that I've played, including the games that have had mixed receptions (e.g., VIII, X-2, XII, XIII, and XIII-2). To be honest, I really enjoyed the battle systems in the last two games (XII and XIII).

Interestingly, my favorite Final Fantasy game isn't even part of the main series; instead, it's Final Fantasy Tactics.

Long live the Ivalice Alliance!

Check out this site for tons of FFT artwork!

http://www.fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/fftactics/fftactics_art.htm

Around the Network
Iveyboi said:
The only videogame sequence that made me cry (Crisis Core Ending):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXk9W96-PuE

One of the best OST's EVER

We all knew how Zack story will end yet i still shed a manly tear at the ending......ok maybe i cried a little.

CC gave me a doze of the FF magic i desperately needed since FFX and thats why its my favrioute title this gen.

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

BasilZero said:
I'm about to do a playthrough recording of FFI-FFIX l0l

Once I am done with a few other games first though.

I salute you my friend.  I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I haven't the time.

I like to think that the FF fans are divided in categories. The most common ones are the ones who can't stand XII and XIII.

I'm a rare species: I like the entire series, and XIII is even a serious contender for my favorite... And the games are fresh in my mind, as I've started a marathon last year and now there is only Tactics, VIII and the first two remaining (and the encounter rate of FFI is pissing me off).

I think my favorite would be FFIX, it's hard to decide. My top 5 is IX, XIII, X, IV and VII (not in this order exactly). My least favorite is FFIII. The game just feels cheap and I swear that the cpu cheats.
I don't have plans to play VIII anytime sooon though... I can't stand the draw system.

I liked FF6, 7, and 8 the best. Although I like the rest of them except for FF2j, FF9, FF11, and FF14 which I found were somewhat lacking. I felt 10, 12, and 13 were decent, better than 9, 11, and 14; but still no where near as good as the Kitase trilogy (6, 7, 8).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

BasilZero said:
artur-fernand said:
I like to think that the FF fans are divided in categories. The most common ones are the ones who can't stand XII and XIII.

I'm a rare species: I like the entire series, and XIII is even a serious contender for my favorite... And the games are fresh in my mind, as I've started a marathon last year and now there is only Tactics, VIII and the first two remaining (and the encounter rate of FFI is pissing me off).

I think my favorite would be FFIX, it's hard to decide. My top 5 is IX, XIII, X, IV and VII (not in this order exactly). My least favorite is FFIII. The game just feels cheap and I swear that the cpu cheats.
I don't have plans to play VIII anytime sooon though... I can't stand the draw system.

I honestly like XII and XIII as well!  xD

My top favorite FF games I would say would be

1. FFVI (SNES-PSX-GBA)
2. FFVII (PSX)
3. FFIX (PSX)
4. FFX (PS2)
5. FFIV (SNES-GBA-PSX)
6. FFXII (PS2)
7. FFV (SNES-PSX-GBA)
8. FFXIII (PS3)
9. FFVIII (PSX)
10. FFI (PSP-GBA-PSX) (Hate the NES ver)

I would say FFTactics would be between FFVII and FFIX if I added that.

Ha, I think FFVI is pretty overrated. It's far from being a bad game, but the only half of the  "ensemble cast"  really matters. They could've removed half of the characters, I wouldn't even notice.

And World of Ruin is pretty much just sidequests. I don't like that because you're doing tons of stuff but not really going anywhere.