By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Classic Final Fantasy (I-X) fans, come post

Tagged games:

BasilZero said:
happydolphin said:

The DS version has an augment system that is really fun and interesting. The PSX doesn't have it. Just for that reason it's >>> the PSX version. I don't think any other version has it.

The DS version is harder, the leveling was changed at the end of the game so it's more of a challenge.

The Namingway subquest is fun, and adds value to the game.

The only thing it doesn't have is the extra dungeons and bestiary of GBA and PSP versions :( which sucks. Otherwise it's the version by excellence.

The script is also the best of the game, the translation was completely redone. The PSP one is based of a semi-new translation of the GBA version, with some DS bits.

Also, the 3D graphics are not clunky in comparison with the likes of the final fantasies on PSX, just a little below. You get used to the clunkiness and actually the colors are very good and the art is great.

You're not looking at it right. Bad animations is just one part of the story and it's really debatable in this case. Also, I can argue that the PSP version's sprite are totally out of character with old-school FF sprites, they are too big. But that's my taste.

In your comparison, you didn't mention the GBA version, which is considered by fans to be the version by excellence of the game, from what I read (can't find the source).

Have you completed FFIV DS? I would suggest you give it a second try, it has the best value for an FFIV flavor this far.

Maybe this'll help -> http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Version_Differences

Augment system doesnt really affect my choice of playing it.

DS version's difficulty didnt bother me.

I gotten like half way through the game in FFIV DS , same with III DS, I'll try them both again once I finish the ones I promised I would record.

Yah, this makes sense.

"Stat increases decrease sharply after Level 70 for all characters. Stat boosts for Level 71 and on are affected by which augments the character is equipped with. With enough patience and the right combination of augments, all characters in the final party can achieve 99 in all stats."

Augments only become really interesting on planning 2nd and 3rd playthroughs and with a completionist approach to the game.

Around the Network

In the vein of Spurge's "Guess the whistle (tune)" thread, I wanted to offer this tune to you guys, posted earlier in a youtube embed, but here is me whistling it:

SET VOLUME LOW

Record and upload audio >>

I had the tune playing to help me. Sorry for the loud segments, it's tought to get good whistle quality off a netbook.

And FFIV on my recorder (aka flute), hope ya like it. (after the half I started just having fun, don't mind the mistakes :P)

SET VOLUME LOW

Record and upload audio >>

Can't this be a Square Enix RPG thread? A lot of the best games they made weren't even Final Fantasy titles.

Still FFVI is my favorite, but I still haven't beaten it (I've only beaten the really old and relatively new FF's, I really gotta work on my SNES/PS1 iterations, which I admit are the best).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

bump

WiiBox3 said:
bump

What did you think of my take on the troian tune?

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
WiiBox3 said:
bump

On my phone right now so I'll listen in the morning at work. ;)

WiiBox3 said:
happydolphin said:
WiiBox3 said:
bump

On my phone right now so I'll listen in the morning at work. ;)

Looking forward to it, just make sure to keep the volume low. I need some FFIV excitement these days. :3

I love all the old school final fantasy games, my favorites are IV, VI and VII, never played IX which some people consider to be one of the best (at least for the PS1).

Nintendo and PC gamer

Pretty awesome Happy.

So I'm deep into disc 3 of FFIX. And the story has finally hooked me. Also the battles have finally become more challenging, requiring real strategy. I think all of the boss fights up to this point have been a little disappointing since when I face them, they fall rather easily without any strategy required. (This may be a good thing, since after fighting a boss you often have a long way to go afterward without a save point)

My favorite part so far was when Kuja, splits the party, sending Zidane to retrieve something for him from the lost continent. It was entertaining having all of my fighters in one party, and my magic users in another. I also liked that while Dagger is in morning she is unreliable, so you need to completely change your strategy up using her.

I just got the airship, so I can't wait to see how the world has opened up now! I am also finally becoming fond of the characters. Until now I could have cared less about any of them, it's been a slow buildup for me, but I'm sure the pay off will be worth it.