By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What system sellers could PS Vita possibly have?

BasilZero said:
Final Fantasy! (not a port/remake but a new installation such as FFType-0 for the US or a new one completely for Japan)

Yes, but, USA seems to have fallen out of love for the series. Do you think putting it on the bad-selling Vita would help that much?

Around the Network

Well or Japan the answer is obvious. Throw a bunch of money at Capcom until they bring over Monster Hunter. For Europe I think it would be a good idea to bring over Gran Turismo. If Mario Kart can sell well on handhelds then GT can as well. There's already a Call of Duty in the works so if Sony/Activision advertises the hell out of it then it could be a serious system seller in NA.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

BasilZero said:
NintendoPie said:
BasilZero said:
Final Fantasy! (not a port/remake but a new installation such as FFType-0 for the US or a new one completely for Japan)

Yes, but, USA seems to have fallen out of love for the series. Do you think putting it on the bad-selling Vita would help that much?

If FFXIII-2 sold about 1 million+ in the US, I'm pretty sure it still has life in the series.

The Vita might be bad at the selling rates, but each week the numbers add together (and life time sales is what counts), I am pretty sure there are alot of FF fans who purchased a PSvita by now and alot more who are waiting for a E3 announcement of FFType-0 or some sort of new FF game (excluding FFX Vita which is being considered as a HD Port right now).

What? Vita is going down almost every week everywhere.
The amount it sells each week in total is what really matters, it shows how it'll perform long-term.

BasilZero said:

Like I said lifetime sales in the end matter, the system's already sold 2+ million already, out of that 2 million, I am pretty sure there's a couple thousand people who want a FF game and pretty sure there are a few more who are waiting before purchasing a Vita.

A game release could make a big difference not just in Japan but worldwide, just because you see lowering sales in the japanese market, doesnt mean its the end of the world for a system.

Yes, it is. The lowering sales shows a continued lack of interest in the console, over all. If people think that there'll be an FF on it then they would already be buying it and looking at other games. That's not happening.

Also, 2Million+ sales is nothing to brag about, especially when it released before Holiday time in Japan.

logic56 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I am 18,

this conversation is fucking done

Your nickname share the same irony as PSV's.

OT: To me is not about COD or Monster Hunter, is a steady release of games completing a decent library. PSP was huge in hapan in its final years, not only because of Monster Hunter, it was the gigantic support of developers releasing loads of games. And at this point, not even 3DS has reached that confidence for developers.

Around the Network
Chark said:

Aren't you jumping the gun a little bit? The system hasn't been out very long so how can you suggest creating new successful IP's as being a struggle? This is commonplace for a new system. To create new quality IP's developers need time, to sell to great success they need a larger install base. This does not happen in the first few months of a console's lifespan.

I said that it can be a struggle to make new successful franchises, which is true. Vita has had a lot of time already to prepare new quality IP's (spawning Gravity Daze and such) and even though they obviously can't have a very large install base after just a few months fact remain that the system is selling slowly.

Well hopefully Gravity Rush and Resistance Burning Skies do well.

I hope so too.

I know it's your own opinion but playing a full console feature game on the vita is immersive, the screen is large and of great quality for a handheld and right in front of you. The sound is good on the system and if needed can be improved through headphones(earbuds, earcups, even bluetooth). Also, the glory of the handheld console is its portability. It sounds from reading your posts that you are letting your own personal opinion cloud your view on what consumer opinion is, last gen having sold around 230 million handheld gaming consoles, comparible to current home console sales. You could almost say that for every gamer that would prefer to play on the home console there would be a gamer who would prefer to play on a handheld console.

I don't doubt that the hardware is very impressive, but the whole gaming experience is far more enjoyable on the big screen when playing realistic- and hardcore games. 

Underlined: You can't compare present to last gen in this case though. The smartphone market has exploded and everyone is playing mobile games like crazy. PSP had the PS2 glory and hardcore titles (such as GTA, which can now be played on mobile phones) to back its sales up, and Nintendo had the now smaller casual market (plus the core Nintendo fans). Both sides has some of their previous support cut off

I'm not sure where you heard that the Vita online store was expensive, most likely some hate fuelled speech. Most, but not every, Vita title on PSN is at a 10% discount from their retail counterpart. So Uncharted: GA the only $50 Vita game is $44.99, Little Deviants is $26.99 instead of $30, Lumines at $35.99 instead of $40. Digital only titles are, as expected, cheaper than if they appeared on retail. Escape plan for $15, Mutant Blobs Attack for $8. Minis and PSP titles are the same price as they always are for the PS3/PSP. It is no steam yet, but they operate without the risk of retailler backlash or competition that would steal retail space.

It was not a hate fuelled speech, it was a video review which showed that the prices were equally as high as retail games'. That was back when the system released though, so I guess they've made the content cheaper by now. It still doesn't compare to the ridiculously low prices of smartphones though. Sure, the games are way more advanced and offer more content, but the smartphone games offer more content per dollar.

Well lemme see here:

Uncharted was a huge seller on consoles, and golden Abyss is quite good
Resistance was at one point a huge seller, it's getting a sequel in a week
Call of Duty is THE seller, and it's getting an iteration on Vita (we'll see if it's new or a port soon)
Assassin's Creed is a huge seller, it'll be coming out on consoles
Grand Theft Auto is rumored to have a game in the works for Vita (rumored!)
Final Fantasy X HD will likely be a huge seller, as FFX was a quite successful game

Not to mention the waves of original content like Gravity Rush and Soul Sacrifice that could really push the system if they take off.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Well lemme see here:

Uncharted was a huge seller on consoles, and golden Abyss is quite good
Resistance was at one point a huge seller, it's getting a sequel in a week
Call of Duty is THE seller, and it's getting an iteration on Vita (we'll see if it's new or a port soon)
Assassin's Creed is a huge seller, it'll be coming out on consoles
Grand Theft Auto is rumored to have a game in the works for Vita (rumored!)
Final Fantasy X HD will likely be a huge seller, as FFX was a quite successful game

Not to mention the waves of original content like Gravity Rush and Soul Sacrifice that could really push the system if they take off.

Yeah, they all have potential. Question is though if people are willing to spend money on both a home console version and a portable version with less content. Because that's a lot of money.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

AndrewWK said:
SunofKratos said:
I would say they must going both ways.Create new IPs which will become big by the time and offer big old IPS to sell the system.

For future system sellers i easily see a new God of War or Gran Turismo on the Horizon.
Also what is Sony Bend doing right now. maybe working on Uncharted Golden Abyss 2.
Then there will be the Killzone vita game and maybe a new IP from Insomniak games?

Isn´t Insomniac done with Sony? They are Multiplatform now for what I know.

No. They will continue making games for Sony systems. They just won't be exclusive.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

As I see it, even creating new successful IP's could be a struggle for the company.

If they create a hardcore title, then it's not very likely to sell very well (as far as I know, feel free to prove me wrong) and even if it somehow would, then people would demand a superior home console version.

If they create a casual title though, then it's not very likely to sell well because of all the competition from smartphones and the 3DS. And on top of that: Casuals mostly prefer their games cheap, but from what I have heard the online store for the Vita is very expensive. (again, feel free to fill me in)

Sony pretty much painted themselves into a corner, in my opinion. Expensive hardware does not leave much room for casual buyers, and portable gaming does not leave much room for hardcore buyers.

Are you forgeting about 3rd parties? It's not completely up to Sony to create the next big thing.