By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What system sellers could PS Vita possibly have?

Monster Hunter would make Vita explode in Japan.

An exclusive GTA would do great things also. San Andreas stories? I would love that.

Uncharted definitely sold systems, another Uncharted on Vita would give it a significant boost.

I don't think the Vita has many obvious system sellers, it's the library as a whole that will sell it. I think very few games will do much on there own, some people may see Bioshock (for example) and want it for that particular game, but I think what will happen far more often is people will see Bioshock, Uncharted, GTA, AC, Motorstorm RC, Resistance, Gravity Daze, Unit 13 LBP, Call of Duty, Escape Plan etc. + E3 announcements... all these great games on the system, it may not be one particular game that pulls people, but the library as a whole. Once these games have been seen in action, some have been released and Vita gets a price drop, it'll do very well.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

As I see it, even creating new successful IP's could be a struggle for the company.

If they create a hardcore title, then it's not very likely to sell very well (as far as I know, feel free to prove me wrong) and even if it somehow would, then people would demand a superior home console version.

And if they create a casual title, it's not very likely to sell well because of all the competition from smartphones and the 3DS. On top of that: Casuals mostly prefer their games cheap, but from what I have heard the online store for the Vita is very expensive. (again, feel free to fill me in)

You're pretty much bang on. Sony is really stuck now. They can't create a new IP as it may not sell (Gravity Rush if you look at pre-orders), they can't create a console experience because people will get it on the consoles (Mortal Kombat), Nintendo have taken Monster Hunter for at least another 2-3 years I'd say, and as the sales continue to fall, 3rd parties will begin to lose confidence and move over to the 3DS or can the games altogether (Assassin's Creed 3DS).

No 3rd party game sold that good on the 3 ds(1 mill+). None that I can think of at least.

Also, there are games that are specifically designed for the Vita. Escape Plan, Gravity Daze/Rush and LBPPSV are great examples.

AndrewWK said:
Conegamer said:

You're pretty much bang on. Sony is really stuck now. They can't create a new IP as it may not sell (Gravity Rush if you look at pre-orders), they can't create a console experience because people will get it on the consoles (Mortal Kombat), Nintendo have taken Monster Hunter for at least another 2-3 years I'd say, and as the sales continue to fall, 3rd parties will begin to lose confidence and move over to the 3DS or can the games altogether (Assassin's Creed 3DS).

No 3rd party game sold that good on the 3 ds(1 mill+). None that I can think of at least.

Well, there is Monster Hunter 3G (1.45 mil) and Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (vgchartz says 0.8 mil, but 1mil+ was confirmed long ago).

And in the meantime, the top selling PS Vita software looks like this:

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Uncharted: Golden Abyss PSV 2011 Action Sony Computer Entertainment 0.18 0.22 0.11 0.05 0.56
2 FIFA Soccer PSV 2012 Sports Electronic Arts 0.03 0.14 0.01 0.02 0.21
3 Hot Shots Golf PSV 2011 Sports Sony Computer Entertainment 0.03 0.03 0.14 0.01 0.20
4 Little Deviants PSV 2011 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 0.11 0.04 0.00 0.01 0.16
5 Rayman Origins PSV 2012 Platform Ubisoft 0.04 0.08 0.00 0.02 0.14
6 Dynasty Warriors Next PSV 2011 Action Tecmo Koei 0.01 0.01 0.10 0.00 0.12
7 Unit 13 PSV 2012 Action SCEA 0.03 0.05 0.02 0.01 0.12
8 Wipeout 2048 PSV 2012 Racing Sony Computer Entertainment 0.04 0.06 0.00 0.01 0.12
9 Lord of Apocalypse PSV 2011 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.00 0.00 0.09 0.00 0.09
10 Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention PSV 2011 Role-Playing Nippon Ichi Software 0.02 0.01 0.06 0.00 0.09

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
AndrewWK said:
Conegamer said:

Well, there is Monster Hunter 3G (1.45 mil) and Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (vgchartz says 0.8 mil, but 1mil+ was confirmed long ago).

And in the meantime, the top selling PS Vita software looks like this:

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Uncharted: Golden Abyss PSV 2011 Action Sony Computer Entertainment 0.18 0.22 0.11 0.05 0.56
2 FIFA Soccer PSV 2012 Sports Electronic Arts 0.03 0.14 0.01 0.02 0.21
3 Hot Shots Golf PSV 2011 Sports Sony Computer Entertainment 0.03 0.03 0.14 0.01 0.20
4 Little Deviants PSV 2011 Platform Sony Computer Entertainment 0.11 0.04 0.00 0.01 0.16
5 Rayman Origins PSV 2012 Platform Ubisoft 0.04 0.08 0.00 0.02 0.14
6 Dynasty Warriors Next PSV 2011 Action Tecmo Koei 0.01 0.01 0.10 0.00 0.12
7 Unit 13 PSV 2012 Action SCEA 0.03 0.05 0.02 0.01 0.12
8 Wipeout 2048 PSV 2012 Racing Sony Computer Entertainment 0.04 0.06 0.00 0.01 0.12
9 Lord of Apocalypse PSV 2011 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.00 0.00 0.09 0.00 0.09
10 Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention PSV 2011 Role-Playing Nippon Ichi Software 0.02 0.01 0.06 0.00 0.09

Well that are two 3rd party games for the 3ds. But the 3DS sold more then 17million units.

Around the Network

how many of these threads have we had in the past week alone....

logic56 said:

Not as many as we'll have after E3.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

logic56 said:

Not a single one regarding this topic.

A more interesting question to ponder would be how many pointless posts you have made this week, and whether the number is on a decline or an upward trend.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
logic56 said:

A more interesting question to ponder would be how many pointless posts you have made this week, and whether the number is on a decline or an upward trend.

pointless is your analysis

I had this same conversation Rol before

and we've had plenty of this absolutely retarded topic, maybe not in the past week would we've definitely had them

tell me, you fucking expert, bearer of unbelievable intellect, when...in PlayStation history has ANY game been known to be a system seller?

edit: becasue to you people think if it isn't market leader than it failed, to make that easier,  during the ps1 and ps2 era

logic56 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
logic56 said:

pointless is your analysis

I had this same conversation Rol before

and we've had plenty of this absolutely retarded topic, maybe not in the past week would we've definitely had them

tell me, you fucking expert, bearer of unbelievable intellect, when...in PlayStation history has ANY game been known to be a system seller?

edit: becasue to you people think if it isn't market leader than it failed, to make that easier,  during the ps1 and ps2 era

No need to be so rude.

GTA: San Andreas was certainly a system seller. Other games I'd certainly include in that list would be Gran Turismo (used to really push consoles in Europe), Crash Bandicoot (before his franchise was abandoned and milked) and Final Fantasy (in particular VII).

Just like every console the PS and PS2 sold because they had games people wanted.