By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal Engine 4 vs. Playstation 3 games (God of War III, Ascension, Uncharted 3, The Last of Us etc)

pezus said:
Cheebee said:
Next gen will be disastrous for lots of development studios I think. Seeing how many of them have gone under this past gen because development has become so costly, with them having to sell insane amounts of copies just to break even... Next gen will be much worse. Also, game prices will probably go up another 10 Dollars/Euros.

You know that tech gets cheaper as time goes on, and that at a very fast rate. Just because the graphics will be improved doesn't mean that the games have to cost more. 

Huh? Game development costs rise with each new gen.

But then again, there is this PR line in the UE4 leak:

"It will streamline game development, allowing studios to do in 12 months what can take two years or more today."

But taking Epic's past lies and hyperbolic statements into consideration I'll take that with a massive grain of salt until I can see how true it is.

Around the Network

Is this really a serious comparison? For one thing, those screen shots are way too small to do them justice. In the full shots the resolution is over 3 times more than PS3 can even handle; you'd need at least two gaming monitors to be able to display the res the demo is at. Then there's all effects that the PS3 hardware isn't capable of producing.

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 games are fantastic for the hardware and ND and Sony Santa Monica need to be applauded for their technical skills in getting their games to look as good as they do. However, there's only so much they can do versus modern hardware & techniques.

Scoobes said:
Is this really a serious comparison? For one thing, those screen shots are way too small to do them justice. In the full shots the resolution is over 3 times more than PS3 can even handle; you'd need at least two gaming monitors to be able to display the res the demo is at. Then there's all effects that the PS3 hardware isn't capable of producing.

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 games are fantastic for the hardware and ND and Sony Santa Monica need to be applauded for their technical skills in getting their games to look as good as they do. However, there's only so much they can do versus modern hardware & techniques.

The resolution of the screens is a good point, when looked at on a high res screen, those shots will look fantastic.

pezus said:
Scoobes said:

I think the rez is closer to 15 times higher than most PS3 games

Lol, I know. But some games are played at 1920x1080, like... Wipeout HD

brendude13 said:
Scoobes said:

The resolution of the screens is a good point, when looked at on a high res screen, those shots will look fantastic.

Yep, although considering most people don't have multiple monitors and HD/1080p is likely the highest res HDTV will be for a while, I doubt many games will see similar resolutions to the demo. I suspect most games will probably be about half the res of the demo, but will support 3D.

Of course, this all depends on the hardware of the next consoles too.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Scoobes said:
pezus said:
Scoobes said:

I think the rez is closer to 15 times higher than most PS3 games

Lol, I know. But some games are played at 1920x1080, like... Wipeout HD

That's still almost 7 times as much! Crazy, isn't it?

Wait, what? How high was the resolution?!

pezus said:
Scoobes said:

5039*2827, according to my count

So... quite high

pezus said:
Scoobes said:

I have Final Fantasy XIII CG artwork that is like 5000 x 8000.

Scoobes said:
pezus said:
Scoobes said:

So... quite high

I couldn't remember if someone had posted these at high res so here we go. Just for you Scoobes. These are at 4178x2546 resolution (taken from good old neogaf). When they load just click on them to enlarge.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot_283087j0ij7.jpeg 
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot_283086ffeyh.jpeg 
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot_283085y7iqu.jpeg 

That screenshot with him walking to the door? Good grief the particles on that magic spell/portal on the right are staggering. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Ps3 images are surely impressive but sorry to say UE 4 is technically better by a huge margin...http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=283086, view the full screen shots and then make the final verdict...we need to see some of those on next xbox and Ps4.