By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal Engine 4 vs. Playstation 3 games (God of War III, Ascension, Uncharted 3, The Last of Us etc)

PlaystaionGamer said:
yes but look at UE3 games this gen, there not that amazing. good but not amazing. that will once again probably happen next Gen. UE4 will look good but compared to Uncharted 4 and what not.. not amazing

Durp?

Around the Network

I am very impressed with UE4 and can't wait for games with those graphics.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

loool, i think most people missed the point from the post and comparison. These next gen pics are probably the least impressive we've seen leading up to a new generation. Of course they're better then the ps3 and current pc games, but what happens when you don't a million lava particles conveniently hovering over your hammer,..... The game won't look too far off what we've come to expect.

I'm excited but in comparison to previous generations, this is more a half step. Like the dreamcast vs gamecube. We're at a point where games are looking like HQ GCI, thats as good as graphics need to be. But without a doubt we will see more impressive things then those UE4 pics, we've haven't even seen it in motion, that could change everything.

Zim said:
Scoobes said:
pezus said:
Scoobes said:

Wait, what? How high was the resolution?!

5039*2827, according to my count

So... quite high

I couldn't remember if someone had posted these at high res so here we go. Just for you Scoobes. These are at 4178x2546 resolution (taken from good old neogaf). When they load just click on them to enlarge.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot_283087j0ij7.jpeg 
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot_283086ffeyh.jpeg 
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=screenshot_283085y7iqu.jpeg 

That screenshot with him walking to the door? Good grief the particles on that magic spell/portal on the right are staggering. 

Thanks Zim! These are some mightily impressive shots! Can't wait to see this thing in full motion!

Around the Network
zarx said:
Zim said:
flagstaad said:
I see the difference but is not a HUGE one, and the effort to develop those "future" games will be way higher just to make it look better and more effort means more money.
If the resolution is 4 times better I really don't care, my tv goes up to 1080p and I am not planning to buy a new one in at least 6-7 years, so I am good for at least this next generation.

Here's the thing. If the resolution can be 4 times higher while maintaing 30fps or whatever. Then if they decide to just stick to 1080p then well you could do far more impressive effects, higher framerate etc.

I don't know if the tech demo itself was at these crazy high resolutions but if it was then it would imply VERY positive things for specially designing a console game with 1080p max in mind.

Thanks crissindahouse.... that is worrying lol.

I think a lot of people will be shocked when a lot of games are 720p 30fps next gen so that developers can push the assets and effects as far as possible. Just like a lot of games today are sub 720p. Especially if the hardware isn't a huge leap over current hardware because developers will be desperate to show that next gen games are doing things that aren't possible on old hardware, a lot of people can't tell the difference between 720p with lots of AA and good upscalling vs 1080p anyway, a lot of devs will choose to use the power for other things.

I suspect 1080p with 60fps will be the bare minimum. Even a mid-range graphics card can max out the vast majority of games whilst maintaining that sort of resolution. Some games may dip to 30 but even my old 4850 could maintain some impressive framerates at 1080 resolution with most games on "High" settings. With the benefit of having full knowledge of the hardware on the consoles, developers should be able to squeeze some extra juice out of the hardware too.

Nsanity said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
yes but look at UE3 games this gen, there not that amazing. good but not amazing. that will once again probably happen next Gen. UE4 will look good but compared to Uncharted 4 and what not.. not amazing

Durp?

LOL yes.. the Uncharted Engine looks far better. that lighting is good just not Uncharted 3 good. 

thanks for proving my point though :D 

Im not wasting my weekend arguing with a nobody who calls himself PlaystaionGamer.

Texture wise there doesn't seem to be a massive difference, but everything else blows PS3 games away.

Scoobes said:

I suspect 1080p with 60fps will be the bare minimum. Even a mid-range graphics card can max out the vast majority of games whilst maintaining that sort of resolution. Some games may dip to 30 but even my old 4850 could maintain some impressive framerates at 1080 resolution with most games on "High" settings. With the benefit of having full knowledge of the hardware on the consoles, developers should be able to squeeze some extra juice out of the hardware too.

I doubt it, if devs wanted to do that there would be more 60fps games this gen, and less sub 720p games. 1080p 60 will be standard for racers and fighters and some action games. But the big blockbuster action/shooter games won't be CoD will likely be 720p 60 but games like Epics next gen shopeice will be 720p 30. You won't be able to make games that "look like Avatar" (to a casual observer from 10ft+ away) at above 720p 30fps even with a GPU on the level of a GTX670. 

Devs are already talking about it

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-focus-does-pixel-count-matter?page=1

http://timothylottes.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/games-vs-film.html

Note the comments on the blog especially

If next gen consoles are really a huge leap in power then devs will go for 1080p 30 as a standard baseline but that will require very powerful consoles. Sony said that PS3 games would be 1080p but you can count the number of games that do on one hand, and MS origonally had a policy that all games had to be 720p or higher, a policy that lasted about a year until Bungie failed to meet the target with Halo 3. Developers will likely make similar decisions next gen, they will choose graphical details over resolution and framerate for the most part. And for the reason why just look at this thread where many people don't think that the UE4 shots are that much better than current gen, most devs won't sacrifice level of detail for resolution or framerate at the risk of looking last gen. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!