By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - My Diablo III first impressions

"First impression: Error 75
Second impression: Error 37
Third impression: Lag in single player..."

I would go this way however:

First impression: Not Diablo Game

Second impression: Obviously, it wasn't made by Diablo Team (the ones who made Diablo I and II)

Third Impression: Nice bug with Templar which can lead to unplayable situation (You won't be able to log in again)

Fourth Impression: One doesn't simply kill Error 37 Boss

Around the Network
zgamer5 said:
vlad321 said:
Slimebeast said:
vlad321 said:
Slimebeast said:
vlad321 said:
My score is a 6.

I subtract around 3.5 points for Blizzards moronic decision.

So the game is a 9.5 out of 10?

Why do u subtract points? Because it demands constant online?

No, it's a 6. And yes, among other fuck ups.

Could you elaborate? I always like to hear your opinion on gameplay mechanics being dumbed down and that stuff.

Do u mean it would have been 6+3.5=9.5 if it hadn't been for "Blizzards moronic decision"?

Yes. Though the items in this game are kind of lacking and simple, much mroe simple than in D2, and I feel liek there is just less variety. Maybe when I get deeper it will get better. While it is true, you CAN rune your ksills and stuff and there are tons of combinations, the truth is that you are still left with like only a handful of skills instead of 30 from D2.

why do people throw random numbers?

every class in diablo 3 has 30 skills and each skill has about 5 runes 

You either can't count. Or are counting the passive skills, which seriousl, why would you even bother to do that? In either case, you are wrong. The monk for example has 20 or so.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Alright after putting in a LOT of time (Blizzard can still suck my dick though) here is what it comes down to.

The game starts to get tedious. Maybe it's because there's so few skills to play with in each class. However more than likely it's because the items are just damned boring.

Why is there only 4 gem types? What happened to runes and rune words? Furthermore there is like a dozen or so stats on items tops. And given any single class, you probably care only about half of those. Classes are homogenized (since when is a spell considered an "on hit" effect?). The loot/stat system is just extremely boring. I remember when having +1 to all skills was something that was awesome, but not necessarily and maybe replace. Now all you have is one big number "damage." So now when I upgrade a piece it's "oh it better have my primary stat," and everything past that is quite literally just a second thought, because all the other stats are so pointless in comparison.

Another problem is the lack of skills. By level 20 I had unlocked all of my skills, and say what you will, the runes are NOT like new skills. They just modify the previous one, if you are lucky they give it a new animation, if not, just a change in the color of the particle effects.

FInally the difficulty, I know it gets harder, and I will need a group at Inferno. It could also be just the class I am playing, but as a monk I self heal far faster than I get damaged, even in Nightmare. Also I don't know who's idea was to design health globes to fall in the middle of a battle when you are surrounded, but they were damned idiots (probably same ones that thought always online is a good idea). The only time I ever came close to dying is because I ran into a bunch of "extra health" monsters so I couldn't just kill the weaker ones for health globes. It's even more embarrassing to have health globes drop in the middle of boss fights. I have used a total of 5 potions in the last 23 hours I have played. That right there means that the health globe mechanic is dumb and broken.

Summary: The game was a lot of fun, but frustrating, and now it's already getting a little boring. It does not have the OOMPH that Diablo 2 did, something is missing.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

they just ruined diablo...

the wow sub-team simply raped the diablo ip and just delivered a pathetic world of diablo...

in comparison to the predecessors, "diablo 3" is such an enormous downgrade, beyond a doubt!

and honestly, this is one of the biggest disappointments in my short life, i could cry...

R.I.P. Diablo

vlad321 said:
Alright after putting in a LOT of time (Blizzard can still suck my dick though) here is what it comes down to.

The game starts to get tedious. Maybe it's because there's so few skills to play with in each class. However more than likely it's because the items are just damned boring.

Why is there only 4 gem types? What happened to runes and rune words? Furthermore there is like a dozen or so stats on items tops. And given any single class, you probably care only about half of those. Classes are homogenized (since when is a spell considered an "on hit" effect?). The loot/stat system is just extremely boring. I remember when having +1 to all skills was something that was awesome, but not necessarily and maybe replace. Now all you have is one big number "damage." So now when I upgrade a piece it's "oh it better have my primary stat," and everything past that is quite literally just a second thought, because all the other stats are so pointless in comparison.

Another problem is the lack of skills. By level 20 I had unlocked all of my skills, and say what you will, the runes are NOT like new skills. They just modify the previous one, if you are lucky they give it a new animation, if not, just a change in the color of the particle effects.

FInally the difficulty, I know it gets harder, and I will need a group at Inferno. It could also be just the class I am playing, but as a monk I self heal far faster than I get damaged, even in Nightmare. Also I don't know who's idea was to design health globes to fall in the middle of a battle when you are surrounded, but they were damned idiots (probably same ones that thought always online is a good idea). The only time I ever came close to dying is because I ran into a bunch of "extra health" monsters so I couldn't just kill the weaker ones for health globes. It's even more embarrassing to have health globes drop in the middle of boss fights. I have used a total of 5 potions in the last 23 hours I have played. That right there means that the health globe mechanic is dumb and broken.

Summary: The game was a lot of fun, but frustrating, and now it's already getting a little boring. It does not have the OOMPH that Diablo 2 did, something is missing.

Then here's your problem. Substitute the Monk for a Witch Doctor or a Wizard and I guarantee you that you'll use 5 potions in the fight against the Butcher in Nightmare or more. There's a reason General chat is crowded with people asking for monks and demon hunters for Inferno and not every other class. 

I agree that the decision for the Health drop was ridiculous (I was against it the moment they announced it), but given the also moronic decision of putting an insanely large cooldown on potions that immediatly puts the less boss killer proficient classes in a huge disadvantage, it's one of those "lesser" evil scenarions.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:

Then here's your problem. Substitute the Monk for a Witch Doctor or a Wizard and I guarantee you that you'll use 5 potions in the fight against the Butcher in Nightmare or more. There's a reason General chat is crowded with people asking for monks and demon hunters for Inferno and not every other class. 

I agree that the decision for the Health drop was ridiculous (I was against it the moment they announced it), but given the also moronic decision of putting an insanely large cooldown on potions that immediatly puts the less boss killer proficient classes in a huge disadvantage, it's one of those "lesser" evil scenarions.

heh, I didn't use a single one as a WD...  largely thanks to the healing wells in that area (and spirit walk + soul harvest/syphoon rune + spirit walk passive that progs when receiving lethal damage)

and without health drops I'm pretty much fucked as a WD

lestatdark said:

My problem is playing 1 of the 5 classes I am allowed to play? You think I knew how things scaled when I picked the monk 4 days ago?

By the way on the self healing, I don't even use the healing aura, at that point it would just be ridiculous. I hate the globe drops, absolutely hate them. They shouldnt drop during bosses. That or bosses shouldn't have spawns. As it stands spawns are there just to heal youm not hurt you.

Also 1 more thing, kind of spoilerish. Back in DIablo 2 we were killing Lesser Evils from the get-go in Act 1, then ended up murdering the 3 prime evils. While yes, the act 4 develpoment is pretty awesome in this regard, it felt kinda dumb going up to act 4, story wise. I mean, seriously? The Butcher as an act boss? They didnt even do that in Diablo 1.

Lafiel said:
lestatdark said:

heh, I didn't use a single one as a WD...  largely thanks to the healing wells in that area (and spirit walk + soul harvest/syphoon rune + spirit walk passive that progs when receiving lethal damage)

My problem was that I didn't have much Vitality going into that fight and I paid for it dearly. I couldn't even reach the healing wells before going into critical hp >_<).

@vlad321 - When I said that was your problem I didn't mean that it was your fault .

Diablo 1 didn't use acts, but it separated areas between floors. The Butcher was the "area" boss in floor 3 before you switched into the Skeleton King area which went into floor 8. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
Lafiel said:
lestatdark said:

My problem was that I didn't have much Vitality going into that fight and I paid for it dearly. I couldn't even reach the healing wells before going into critical hp >_<).

@vlad321 - When I said that was your problem I didn't mean that it was your fault .

Diablo 1 didn't use acts, but it separated areas between floors. The Butcher was the "area" boss in floor 3 before you switched into the Skeleton King area which went into floor 8. 

True, but nonetheless, story-wise, until act 4 the game is very bleh.

The final problem is that levelling sucks. I am not looking forward to the next level anymore, because I will get something I eally dont give a shit about. In Diablo 2 I knew I would get 1 skill point and it would make 1 of the skills I want more awesome. Here it's just "yay, i shone briefly!" and that's about it.

The game is jsut lacking a lot, a LOT, of the small things which didnt seem that important in Diablo 2, but are actually what made the game fun to play over and over and over.  Also, levelling to 99 actually took a LONG time, there weren't many level 99s, so there was almost always something to do in Diablo 2, even just level. Here, not so much.

I was planning of picking this up next saturday. This thread does make it (a bit) a lesser buy.
One question though:

Are there still server problems for EMEA? I thought those problems were only for the first week?

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.