By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - My Diablo III first impressions

Lafiel said:

I like Diablo 3 quite a lot.
It's fun to play and I don't have any lags when I play with my friends. Definitely more fun to me than D2, which I quit at ~lvl39 Necro and again at roughly the same lvl Druid after the expension released.

I do understand that people might want to decide for themselves which skilltree to use and so on to have a more individual character, but deciding on which skills and rune combinations to use in combat seems fine to me, especially because I don't want to play 30 hours again after realizing that my skillset sucks.

I have to agree here, even though I might seem a bit upset in the OP, the gameplay itself is just so much fun. Easily on par with DIablo I and II.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
lestatdark said:
Sensei said:
Diablo III is good, but not "Diablo II good". The main problem of Diablo III is the existance of Diablo II, which was too good. Nothing can live up to such standards.

Actually (and this is exclusively IMO), there's a game that lived up to D2 standards and went above them: Titan Quest. 

Hmm, while Titan Quest was certainly an incredible game, I just never spent as many hours chugging away at it as I did with Diabli II. I really don't know why, on the surface its a better title on almost all accounts.

In the last years I probably have spent more time on Titan Quest than I did in the same time span with DII. The "make your own class" theme opens up just too many possibilities xD.

@Lafiel - Couldn't have said it better myself. I've been playing DIII a lot and even though there's something I'd personally change, i'm loving the game a lot.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
Mummelmann said:
lestatdark said:
Sensei said:
Diablo III is good, but not "Diablo II good". The main problem of Diablo III is the existance of Diablo II, which was too good. Nothing can live up to such standards.

Actually (and this is exclusively IMO), there's a game that lived up to D2 standards and went above them: Titan Quest. 

Hmm, while Titan Quest was certainly an incredible game, I just never spent as many hours chugging away at it as I did with Diabli II. I really don't know why, on the surface its a better title on almost all accounts.

In the last years I probably have spent more time on Titan Quest than I did in the same time span with DII. The "make your own class" theme opens up just too many possibilities xD.

@Lafiel - Couldn't have said it better myself. I've been playing DIII a lot and even though there's something I'd personally change, i'm loving the game a lot.

The Masteries system is a touch of genius, the best in any hack'n slash by far.

vlad321 said:
Slimebeast said:
vlad321 said:
Slimebeast said:
vlad321 said:
My score is a 6.

I subtract around 3.5 points for Blizzards moronic decision.

So the game is a 9.5 out of 10?

Why do u subtract points? Because it demands constant online?

No, it's a 6. And yes, among other fuck ups.

Could you elaborate? I always like to hear your opinion on gameplay mechanics being dumbed down and that stuff.

Do u mean it would have been 6+3.5=9.5 if it hadn't been for "Blizzards moronic decision"?

Yes. Though the items in this game are kind of lacking and simple, much mroe simple than in D2, and I feel liek there is just less variety. Maybe when I get deeper it will get better. While it is true, you CAN rune your ksills and stuff and there are tons of combinations, the truth is that you are still left with like only a handful of skills instead of 30 from D2.

why do people throw random numbers?

every class in diablo 3 has 30 skills and each skill has about 5 runes 

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

so far i have a level 5 barbarian

im pissed off that i didnt have time to explor the citadel and now its going to take a long way to get back to it.

didnt want to save deckard without exploring the whole dungeon but i found him by mistake :(.

the gameplay isnt that exciting early on but its fun, the first time i had 20 guys around me i freaked out, but i ground slammed and did massive aoe damage to kill them, damn those stuns are long.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

Is everyone aware of this deeper class building? Can someone explain to me, if they're using it, how it works exactly?

http://www.toptiertactics.com/2012/05/diablo-3-elective-mode-information/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_21998

There is a slim chance I might start playing D3 this weekend if my brother agrees to play with me. It seems like everyone I know is playing... peer pressure...sigh.. :P

wfz said:
Is everyone aware of this deeper class building? Can someone explain to me, if they're using it, how it works exactly?

http://www.toptiertactics.com/2012/05/diablo-3-elective-mode-information/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_21998

There is a slim chance I might start playing D3 this weekend if my brother agrees to play with me. It seems like everyone I know is playing... peer pressure...sigh.. :P

Basically you're not restricted to using only 4 or 5 skills per hotkey and can put any skill on any of the 6 hotkeys. It opens up a shitload of possibilities XD.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Galaki said:
First impression: Error 75
Second impression: Error 37
Third impression: Lag in single player...

I honestly thought the OP was going to be this.

So, I'm only level 28 or so, but I can stay this the only thing I like about D2 (which I loved!!! I played for almost a decade) better than D3 is the fact that it had the necromancer in it. I guess that and you got to see more animations. That is all.

Sure there is less reason to "roll a new character" since you can change skills on the fly, thus making the only reason to roll new character is to have two different sets of items. Sure, a weapon swap/skill swap would be good, but that's not a major complaint. I *ABSOLUTELY LOVE* the fact that skill damage is based on weapon damage. This makes any character class just as good as another (more or less) at MF/GF. No longer is MFing purely a sorc/pally thing, horray!

The lack of stat points is a little :-/ but, pretty much the only stat distribution in D2 was str, dex = as much as you need for gear. The rest into vitality. Only exception were if you wanted max block (more dex) or were an energy shield sorc (more energy). Plus, now you sorta customize your stats via your gear. Your gear gives much more stats than it used to.

Uniques (now legendary) also have 1 completely random affix on it, allowing for potentially even more uber stuff. So far I'm loving it and I'm not even out of normal.

I *LIKE* having 6 skills to select from instead of 2. I *LIKE* not having skill points with a skill tree as it makes skills of all levels more viable. Anyone remember D2 pre 1.10? Save all skill points until level 24/30 and start pumping into the one-2 skills you will ever use in the game. That made anything up to 24/30 a joke as you never wanted to "waste" skill points in shitty skills. You got friends to help you or just prayed your normal attack was enough.

Another thing to note, this is the first patch. Anyone remember D2 1.01 (after the day 0 patch)? That's right, very few exceptional items, NO elite items. No unique exceptional or elite items. A lot of the skills were jacked (lightning mastery reduced mana consumption!). A lot of content and balance changes were added via patches and expansions, expect the same.

EncodedNybble said:
So, I'm only level 28 or so, but I can stay this the only thing I like about D2 (which I loved!!! I played for almost a decade) better than D3 is the fact that it had the necromancer in it. I guess that and you got to see more animations. That is all.

Sure there is less reason to "roll a new character" since you can change skills on the fly, thus making the only reason to roll new character is to have two different sets of items. Sure, a weapon swap/skill swap would be good, but that's not a major complaint. I *ABSOLUTELY LOVE* the fact that skill damage is based on weapon damage. This makes any character class just as good as another (more or less) at MF/GF. No longer is MFing purely a sorc/pally thing, horray!

The lack of stat points is a little :-/ but, pretty much the only stat distribution in D2 was str, dex = as much as you need for gear. The rest into vitality. Only exception were if you wanted max block (more dex) or were an energy shield sorc (more energy). Plus, now you sorta customize your stats via your gear. Your gear gives much more stats than it used to.

Uniques (now legendary) also have 1 completely random affix on it, allowing for potentially even more uber stuff. So far I'm loving it and I'm not even out of normal.

I *LIKE* having 6 skills to select from instead of 2. I *LIKE* not having skill points with a skill tree as it makes skills of all levels more viable. Anyone remember D2 pre 1.10? Save all skill points until level 24/30 and start pumping into the one-2 skills you will ever use in the game. That made anything up to 24/30 a joke as you never wanted to "waste" skill points in shitty skills. You got friends to help you or just prayed your normal attack was enough.

Another thing to note, this is the first patch. Anyone remember D2 1.01 (after the day 0 patch)? That's right, very few exceptional items, NO elite items. No unique exceptional or elite items. A lot of the skills were jacked (lightning mastery reduced mana consumption!). A lot of content and balance changes were added via patches and expansions, expect the same.

Diablo II didn't really come fully into bloom until 1.10, the balancing, synergies and item adds and tweaks made it so much better. I'm pretty sure Diablo III can become really, really great in the future with patches and community content.