By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - My Diablo III first impressions

Mummelmann said:

There is one thing that is starting to annoy me a great deal, I'm at the end of Act III on Nightmare, most mobs are a wash, even the Elites. But, out of all the times I've been killed on Nightmare difficulty, 90% of them are upon mob death, they have silly post-mortem attacks like explosions, freezing and (gasp) Arcane Sentinel Orbs that fry you with lasers. Is this how they plan on making the game difficult? I didn't run into a single hard enemy on Act I, because none of them had instakill abilitites on death.

Feels like a cheap shot.

vlad; the health globe system is kinda broken, I'd agree, I know I praised it in the OP but I'm getting a bit tired of globes dropping behind boss gangs when you're forced to retreat. You keep moving backwards, slowing, shooting and dodging and using a health potion, you finally kill the boss group and have a long trail of utterly useless health globes ahead of you.
Feels kinda like regenerating health in FPS games at this point.

Why remove the old potion system? The whole annoyance with potions was that they took up a lot of space in your inventory, that issue is solved both by potions taking up a single slot with stacks of fifty and every single item taking far less inventory space. Potion drops are also very common, there is no point in such a high drop rate when there's a long cooldown.
Also, the inventory system, allbeit less annoying that the one in Diablo II, simply doesn't make any sense to me. Two small gems essentially take up the same space as a large two-handed hammer or a suit of armor.

Still not too pleased with the difficulty, I remember seeing the Blizzard video where they talked about tweaking the difficulty to the point where testers said "Stop!" and then doubled it. Well, either they're talking nonsense or the baseline difficulty is just really, really low (the latter is by far the most likely since this game is designed to appeal to groups outside of diehard Diablo fans as well).

Hoping for a real challenge in Hell mode!

Edit; glad I didn't write what I thought about, that the server issues are largely resolved for EMEAA. I can't log in due to server issues now...

Go Blizzard!

I died 3 times in Act 2 on nightmare, twice because I teleported in the middle of a screen full of mobs, with absolutely zero spirit. Lastly, because Belial explodes or osmethign when he dies, and I died quite literally as my loot was being dropped. I'm not entirely sure what happened there actually. But yeah, I finished act 2 nightmare at level 45, I also found a legendary weapon, and a ridiculously kickass fist weapon, so now even my little shadow kills things fast.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Mummelmann said:

There is one thing that is starting to annoy me a great deal, I'm at the end of Act III on Nightmare, most mobs are a wash, even the Elites. But, out of all the times I've been killed on Nightmare difficulty, 90% of them are upon mob death, they have silly post-mortem attacks like explosions, freezing and (gasp) Arcane Sentinel Orbs that fry you with lasers. Is this how they plan on making the game difficult? I didn't run into a single hard enemy on Act I, because none of them had instakill abilitites on death.

Feels like a cheap shot.

vlad; the health globe system is kinda broken, I'd agree, I know I praised it in the OP but I'm getting a bit tired of globes dropping behind boss gangs when you're forced to retreat. You keep moving backwards, slowing, shooting and dodging and using a health potion, you finally kill the boss group and have a long trail of utterly useless health globes ahead of you.

Why remove the old potion system? The whole annoyance with potions was that they took up a lot of space in your inventory, that issue is solved both by potions taking up a single slot with stacks of fifty and every single item taking far less inventory space. Potion drops are also very common, there is no point in such a high drop rate when there's a long cooldown.
Also, the inventory system, allbeit less annoying that the one in Diablo II, simply doesn't make any sense to me. Two small gems essentially take up the same space as a large two-handed hammer or a suit of armor.

Still not too pleased with the difficulty, I remember seeing the Blizzard video where they talked about tweaking the difficulty to the point where testers said "Stop!" and then doubled it. Well, either they're talking nonsense or the baseline difficulty is just really, really low (the latter is by far the most likely since this game is designed to appeal to groups outside of diehard Diablo fans as well).

Edit; glad I didn't write what I thought about, that the server issues are largely resolved for EMEAA. I can't log in due to server issues now...

Go Blizzard!

I died 3 times in Act 2 on nightmare, twice because I teleported in the middle of a screen full of mobs, with absolutely zero spirit. Lastly, because Belial explodes or osmethign when he dies, and I died quite literally as my loot was being dropped. I'm not entirely sure what happened there actually. But yeah, I finished act 2 nightmare at level 45, I also found a legendary weapon, and a ridiculously kickass fist weapon, so now even my little shadow kills things fast.

Act II nightmare at 45? Damn. I'm at 42 and I'm already in the last half XD. Only died once on Act II, because of those damn Fallen suicide bomber enemies. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
vlad321 said:
Mummelmann said:

Feels like a cheap shot.

Go Blizzard!

Act II nightmare at 45? Damn. I'm at 42 and I'm already in the last half XD. Only died once on Act II, because of those damn Fallen suicide bomber enemies. 

I have had the best ruby i could get in a helmet since act 2 in normal.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
lestatdark said:
vlad321 said:
Mummelmann said:

Feels like a cheap shot.

Go Blizzard!

I have had the best ruby i could get in a helmet since act 2 in normal.

At Nightmare you can get better gems than in Normal, because you can use the Page of Jewelcrafting to improve Shen. I have a lot of Radiant Gems on various pieces of my gear (all of them Topazes, that way I have a huge Int boost that gives me 1.3K DPS).

Health is not an issue for me, I have about 4.5K at the end of Act II Nightmare, and my weapon gives me +37 HP recovery per hit (and since Firebombs with Flash Fire hit about 6 times per use, that's a recovery of +201 HP per second) I usually never go into the critical HP area now. The problem with the Fallen suicide bombers is that they do about 7K damage to all classes except Barbs and Monks (which have a natural 30% damage resist) and my armor only absorbs 33% of that damage.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Switched to a decent crossbow and turned on Sharpshooter as Passive skill last night, I'm now at around 11.000 DPS!

Finished nightmare last night, Diablo wasn't so bad but I died about a dozen times in the last half of Act IV, the difficulty took an incredible turn for the worse. I actually ran into a group of Elites that were practically immortal, there was no way to defeat them. They were a group of Corrupted Angels, Fast, Vampiric and attacking while I had both the Templar and Tyrael in the party. Had only 36.000 HP or so each but they munched on Tyrael and the Templar for ten seconds and their HP was back to full. Managed to get one down to around 3000 HP but the HP bar shot right up again as I vaulted away to heal and he attacked Tyrael.
The followers deal so little damage that it really has no effect.

On a very positive note; the auction house has become a lot more reasonable in terms of pricing.

Edit; and we're back to Error 3003. This is beyond stupid. Blizzard, get your shit together! I want to be able to play single player in the game that I own and have paid full price for!

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

Switched to a decent crossbow and turned on Sharpshooter as Passive skill last night, I'm now at around 11.000 DPS!

Finished nightmare last night, Diablo wasn't so bad but I died about a dozen times in the last half of Act IV, the difficulty took an incredible turn for the worse. I actually ran into a group of Elites that were practically immortal, there was no way to defeat them. They were a group of Corrupted Angels, Fast, Vampiric and attacking while I had both the Templar and Tyrael in the party. Had only 36.000 HP or so each but they munched on Tyrael and the Templar for ten seconds and their HP was back to full. Managed to get one down to around 3000 HP but the HP bar shot right up again as I vaulted away to heal and he attacked Tyrael.

On a very positive note; the auction house has become a lot more reasonable in terms of pricing.

Edit; and we're back to Error 3003. This is beyond stupid. Blizzard, get your shit together! I want to be able to play single player in the game that I own and have paid full price for!

11K DPS??? And me thinking that 1.9K DPS was decent for nightmare XD. Then again, the WD Firebomb is seriously OP .

Current PC Build

11k dps lol
starting nightmare today with 240 dps on my wizard...go team!

lestatdark said:
Mummelmann said:

11K DPS??? And me thinking that 1.9K DPS was decent for nightmare XD. Then again, the WD Firebomb is seriously OP .

I'm up to 14.3k DPS now... Demon Hunter packs a punch! But I see weapons in the AH with up to 1300 DPS, which is more than triple my weapon's damage output. People are critting around the 200k mark with Inferno gear.

We killed Leoric on Hell, he had 1.33 million HP.

Mummelmann said:
lestatdark said:
Mummelmann said:

I'm up to 14.3k DPS now... Demon Hunter packs a punch! But I see weapons in the AH with up to 1300 DPS, which is more than triple my weapon's damage output. People are critting around the 200k mark with Inferno gear.

how many people were in the group?

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
Mummelmann said:
lestatdark said:
Mummelmann said:

how many people were in the group?

We were only two. He wasn't really that dangerous though, with Dodge and Vault his attacks are useless and the mobes he spawns are weak and serve only to heal you. I think the greatest main story challenge thus far for us has been the first boss on Act IV on Nightmare, he is surrounded by an endless horde of weak mobs, they cause quite a bit of damage, move quickly and prevent him from being hit. Got him with piercing attacks through his minions after a while. Diablo was fairly easy on Nightmare though.

So far, the story bosses in Hell are weaksauce, the only real challenge is Elites and boss groups in the world, some of them are truly badass. (Jailer + Mortar is always fun).