By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Manchester has a title at last!!!!!!!!!!!

Man U is like the New York Yankees in American baseball -- a "global" brand which people love or hate.

Man U has the resources to buy players and the resources to grow players. To compete with it, you have to have deep pockets. Also, the unequal distribution of TV revenue and performance bonuses in the EPL gives some clubs more funds to work with (although half the money is distributed equally, which does help all the clubs). Such a system helps maintain the status quo.

As an event, watching it on my couch in the US, the match was unbelievable. I just wish more people on the west side of the Atlantic realized what happened in that match and what it meant.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:
kennyrester said:
highwaystar101 said:
And in unrelated news, it looks like Alex McLeish has been sacked (according to Goal.com). Thoughts?

Great! I can't stand him and Villa have been appalling this season from what I've seen. You must be thrilled.

I really have tried to support him this season, when people had a go at him I tried to counter them with some positives. But after a while I just couldn't defend him any more because there was very little left to defend.

I'm probably happier that he has gone, but Aston Villa's problems run far deeper than McLeish.

Yeah I know there were injuries, financial problems etc. but God, the negativity of the man. Lambert seems to be an early favourite to take over, how would you feel about that?

kowenicki said:
crissindahouse said:
kowenicki said:

Carl2291 said:
Apparently, Man U's starting 11 in the last 3 games cost more than Man City's.

Ive not done the maths though... But people putting City down for spending mobey are silly.

Rooney. £27m
Young £20m
Ferdinand £30m (most expensive defender in thr world at the time)
Nani £20m
Smalling £12m
Evra £6m
De Gea £17m
Carrick £18m
Valencia £16m

Thats just off the top of my head... City arent the only ones who spend Millions upon Millions.

add in...

Anderson £20m (!!!!??)

Jones £17m

and numerous others that have truned out to be flops (Bebe, Kleberson, Forlan and veron anyone?  combined fees £50m)

and people can see that United havent brought any really decent players through youth for a very long time and they are a buying club.

the difference is, that city is spending more as the whole revenue is. at least in 2009 they did that. revenue was 100 million euro and they spent 120 million pound for new players.   manu doesn't do that. manu has what? 400 million revenue? if the spend 200 million in a few years and city is spending 160 million with 160 million revenue in one year, it's pretty simple to understand the difference.  can't be so hard to understand...

clubs should get a percentual limit of revenue for player transfers. this would make everything much better and wouldn't be such a joke like it is atm in the premier league.. yes, it is a joke if a cub is obviously spending much more as it is economical sustainable.

yeah that will be great...

big clubs stay big, small clubs stay small....  so whilst historically it was ok if some clubs like Man U and others had money pumped in or had huge debts to fund their current position... now thats not allowed any more.  Protectionist!  thats all this is about.  The big clubs want to stay where they are and dont want anyone crashing their party. 

lol i bet yoiu would think otherwise if a billionair would pump money in ten third-league clubs winning the championchips the next 40 years and liverpool, manu, arsenal and others would play in the second league then...

why are they so big? because they won titles, they grew with the fanbase and they won prize money. they deserve to have a better position than someone coming from nowhere with sheik abdullahs money.

do you wish to tell me that in the german league, where it isn't possible to play mr sheik, that we have a unfair league and the premier league is more fair? pahahahaha now THIS is funny. in germany, even the club without money can survive in the league because there aren't 5-10 who get everything from a sheik. your league is fair because a few clubs get money from billionairs? what's with all other clubs? don't they suffer because of that? don't they have a problem to reach champions league or even euro league because of that? you say exactly the opposite of the real situation, just a few clubs get a huge advantage against others in the premier league because of the billioniars.

has to be great to come from second league in premier league in uk to compete against 10 billionairs clubs and some others. yeah, very nice system.

"if you are lucky, even with a smaller fanbase, a sheik will get interest in your club and if you have no luck, like all other clubs, you can hope to stay in premier league because you wonÄt have a chance against the sheik club anymore""

kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:

Like always you seem to hate on United for no reason at all. How can you not be bitter, if you're a United fan and the title slips away like it did here, during the final minutes. It's a normal reaction. What do you mean by United not being a Manchester club? 

do you support Man U?

I "support" them as in they are my favourite team but I am not a fanatic. And I do not really care about the geographical placements of the clubs. So, could you answer the question now?

like many United "fans" and "supporters" you know nothing of the local history, local rivalries and national rivalries.

Utd is in Trafford, in the city of Salford.  Why are United your favourite team?  I will never understand someone that supports a team outside of the area they come from let alone the country in which they live... weird...

I hate man U for very good reasons revolving around my entire life living in the area and supporting a different smaller club from the same area.

Trafford isn't in Salford. Trafford borders Salford and is a borough of Greater Manchester just like Salford and Manchester are. The difference is that Salford and Manchester are cities of Gtr Manchester as well as boroughs.

OT: Didn't City concede a goal against 10 men? It's a shame goal difference is the decider instead of something like how many local or English players are in the team. Why would people support players from outside the area they come from let alone the country which they live?

Joey Barton shouldn't have been sent off. He only did what every City fan would have done to Tevez a few months ago.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

sad im late to the party to help kowenicki out! amazing match, amazing comeback, and im so happy manure united got sent home empty handed.

on other notes, what people here dont understand is that MONEY DOESNT BUY YOU TITLES. If it did, then the dominance barca had the last 4 years in la liga and in europe would have never happened, because big spender real would have crushed them every single time. football is about being a good team, believing you can win and keeping on playing till the last minute. city came back from an 8 point gap btw them and man u to win the title in amazing fashion. one month ago i told myself that man u were champions but fortunately it didnt happen.

im a chelsea fan and i would have never expected us to reach the champions league, especially because we beat the barca which always have that 12th man advantage on the pitch.

this season i learned that no matter what, if you believe in your team and if you are willing to fight and cheer them on no matter what you can do anything, and a great example of that is montepelier wining ligue 1 in france when two seasons ago they were in ligue 2.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

Merson's reaction pretty much resonated with every neutral and City fan across the nation, in fact the world.

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

zgamer5 said:
sad im late to the party to help kowenicki out! amazing match, amazing comeback, and im so happy manure united got sent home empty handed.

on other notes, what people here dont understand is that MONEY DOESNT BUY YOU TITLES. If it did, then the dominance barca had the last 4 years in la liga and in europe would have never happened, because big spender real would have crushed them every single time. football is about being a good team, believing you can win and keeping on playing till the last minute. city came back from an 8 point gap btw them and man u to win the title in amazing fashion. one month ago i told myself that man u were champions but fortunately it didnt happen.

im a chelsea fan and i would have never expected us to reach the champions league, especially because we beat the barca which always have that 12th man advantage on the pitch.

this season i learned that no matter what, if you believe in your team and if you are willing to fight and cheer them on no matter what you can do anything, and a great example of that is montepelier wining ligue 1 in france when two seasons ago they were in ligue 2.

In 2009 Mourinho bought tons of players for Inter and they won the triple (and they beat Barca...). Surely without Mou they wouldn't have made it so far, but on the other hand without Sneijder, Eto'o, Milito and Lucio they would have never won the CL either.
Oh and they had (and still have) a $300m deficit....
Ignoring for now that there was no Italian player in their starting eleven in the finals, which is another very sad point.

Barozi said:
zgamer5 said:

In 2009 Mourinho bought tons of players for Inter and they won the triple (and they beat Barca...). Surely without Mou they wouldn't have made it so far, but on the other hand without Sneijder, Eto'o, Milito and Lucio they would have never won the CL either.
Ignoring for now that there was no Italian player in their starting eleven in the finals, which is another very sad point.

ofcourse money helps, but it also about being a team, it was the 2nd year for mourinho as coach for inter and even though he spent money(he sold zlatan which also made it possible) its not the money which brought inter the titles. they won vs a very dominatant barca as 10 men and they smashed bayren in the final, such wins are due to their overall team play.

zgamer5 said:
Barozi said:
zgamer5 said:

ofcourse money helps, but it also about being a team, it was the 2nd year for mourinho as coach for inter and even though he spent money(he sold zlatan which also made it possible) its not the money which brought inter the titles. they won vs a very dominatant barca as 10 men and they smashed bayren in the final, such wins are due to their overall team play.

That's more than a little help though. Inter had 6 fresh players on the pitch in the CL finals. Bayern had one (Robben).
Also never heard anything again about this: http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/figc-announce-investigation-inter-milan-deals-motta-milito-905461

Barozi said:
zgamer5 said:
Barozi said:
zgamer5 said:

That's more than a little help though. Inter had 6 fresh players on the pitch in the CL finals. Bayern had one (Robben).
Also never heard anything again about this: http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/figc-announce-investigation-inter-milan-deals-motta-milito-905461

possibly has to do with clauses in the contracts of militato and motta having to do with their clubs performance. such as bayern owning money to the previous club of neur because of the clubs performance.