By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avengers is THE best super hero movie thus far.

How many times have you seen it, or plan to, in theaters?

0 0 0%

1 18 50.00%

2 4 11.11%

3 6 16.67%

4 1 2.78%

5 0 0%

6 0 0%

7 0 0%

8 0 0%

see dirty insides 7 19.44%

Total:36
pezus said:

Well Titanic has 88%

I think Titanic is largely overrated but it's hard to deny that it's a high quality film.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

The Transformers didn't have as much hype as The Avengers? Wha? I think you're confusing "hype" with "non-shitty reviews". Every summer, there are 2-3 films that receive Avengers level of hype. The thing is that most of the hype dies quickly because the movies kinda (or completely) suck.

The Star Wars prequels, LOTR, Transformers, Avatar, the final Harry Potter films, Pirates of the Caribbean, and yes, your beloved The Dark Knight... The list goes on and on and on of movies that have gone into the mega-hype machine. The thing is that you don't remember it because a) you're probably young and b) many of those movies were mediocre or flat-out sucked ass.

What the hell are you talking about?

The Avengers had the highest opening week-end ever by FAR. It's opening weekend is twice as big compared to the HIGHEST grossing Transformers movie ( Revenge of the Fallen )

I guess that all those people that watched it in it's first weekend already knew that it doesn't suck,so that's why they went and watched it right? No.

It's the result of unprecedented hype,built over the course of 4-5 years. You can't count the reviews in here,because reviews aren't relevant in the OW gross of a movie,if you know anything about the boxoffice.

Mordred11 said:
rocketpig said:

The Transformers didn't have as much hype as The Avengers? Wha? I think you're confusing "hype" with "non-shitty reviews". Every summer, there are 2-3 films that receive Avengers level of hype. The thing is that most of the hype dies quickly because the movies kinda (or completely) suck.

The Star Wars prequels, LOTR, Transformers, Avatar, the final Harry Potter films, Pirates of the Caribbean, and yes, your beloved The Dark Knight... The list goes on and on and on of movies that have gone into the mega-hype machine. The thing is that you don't remember it because a) you're probably young and b) many of those movies were mediocre or flat-out sucked ass.

What the hell are you talking about?

The Avengers had the highest opening week-end ever by FAR. It's opening weekend is twice as big compared to the HIGHEST grossing Transformers movie ( Revenge of the Fallen )

I guess that all those people that watched it in it's first weekend already knew that it doesn't suck,so that's why they went and watched it right? No.

It's the result of unprecedented hype,built over the course of 4-5 years. You can't count the reviews in here,because reviews aren't relevant in the OW gross of a movie,if you know anything about the boxoffice.

Reviews release before the movie opens. You knew that, right? Avengers was certainly hyped but no more than any other major summer blockbuster.

FYI, The Avengers actually opened in slightly fewer theatres than Deathly Hallows and... The Dark Knight. It actually opened in fewer theatres than Iron Man 2. But I guess since it was so hyped, they didn't need to actually put it in as many theatres.

*brain implodes from contradictory statement*

spurgeonryan said:
The Avengers is the first movie I have seen that has seen a totally packed second weekend like this. People were in line for tickets after the tickets were sold out. One person said they were hoping that some people would leave because they either could not find a seat or were sick. Hype and word of mouth pushed the movie to what it was second week. First week for that matter. I told everyone that it was one of the best movies I have ever seen, because of the experience. If my experience was great I do not care if there was a mediocre camera man, or if there was not enough metaphors or shadows, or color , or editing in the movie. If Epic Movie made me laugh the whole time along with the whole theater I would have said that was great as well. In fact I saw The Three Stooges the other day. It was a horrible movie, but the whole theater was laughing at something so it made it fun. Plus they did a good job for a Stooges movie, but it was just not my thing. Some guy was in the back laughing his ass off at every last scene! What I am saying is that The Avengers gave you that experience.
I hated The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship the first time I saw it. But since the whole theater clapped and loved it I decided to see it again. Now it is one of my top ten of all time.
I would give both TDK and The Avengers a 9.5/10. Although to be truth full if I was a reviewer I would have given The Avengers a 10/10.

I have seen pretty much every major blockbuster movie worth watching in the theatre since Jurassic Park.

I have never seen an audience as rambunctious, giddy, and engaged as they were during The Avengers. I couldn't hear large portions of dialogue because the audience was laughing, clapping, and cheering so loudly. And I didn't even see it opening day since I was out of town for the weekend. This was a Sunday night crowd who obviously weren't huge comic book fans.

That's a testament to just how enjoyable this movie is to watch.

rocketpig said:

Reviews release before the movie opens. You knew that, right? Avengers was certainly hyped but no more than any other major summer blockbuster.

FYI, The Avengers actually opened in slightly fewer theatres than Deathly Hallows and... The Dark Knight. It actually opened in fewer theatres than Iron Man 2. But I guess since it was so hyped, they didn't need to actually put it in as many theatres.

You can ask anyone that knows a bit about how a movie performs,and they will tell you that reviews aren't important when it comes to the opening week-end. They are relevant in the legs/holds of a movie.

How should I know why it didn't open in more theaters? FYI the tickets were already sold out days before the movie or the reviews came out.

Around the Network

Twilight Eclipse has the widest opening ever,but was not even close to being as the most anticipated movie ever.

The Avengers was a very good movie and so was TDK, but I still feel Spiderman II is the best superhero movie I have ever seen. It has the perfect mix of action, horror, comedy, with a great villian and well rounded out characters.

Mordred11 said:
rocketpig said:

You can ask anyone that knows a bit about how a movie performs,and they will tell you that reviews aren't important when it comes to the opening week-end. They are relevant in the legs/holds of a movie.

How should I know why it didn't open in more theaters? FYI the tickets were already sold out days before the movie or the reviews came out.

Your argument holds no water. You're claiming that it was this monster movie but Marvel Studios and Disney didn't even bother to put it in the most theatres. The Avengers doesn't even have the highest opening day gross, that goes to Deathly Hallows Pt 2. The Avengers' strength is that it just keeps going. It had a record-breaking second weekend as well.

So the second film of the Twilight saga wasn't the most anticipated movie ever? Well, maybe the shitty first movie deterred a few folks. Still, it's strongly in the top ten of opening day numbers, as are all those terrible movies.

You want The Avengers to be the most hyped movie of all time but you have zero evidence to prove it as such. Every summer, there are movies just as hyped as The Avengers, you just have failed to see it for some reason. Wait. I see your'e 17. How on earth would you know how hyped past movies have been? You've been paying attention for what, 3-4 years?

Or do you honestly believe that Avatar was not as widely hyped as The Avengers? Because reality has a different take on the situation.

rocketpig said:

Your argument holds no water. You're claiming that it was this monster movie but Marvel Studios and Disney didn't even bother to put it in the most theatres. The Avengers doesn't even have the highest opening day gross, that goes to Deathly Hallows Pt 2. The Avengers' strength is that it just keeps going. It had a record-breaking second weekend as well.

So the second film of the Twilight saga wasn't the most anticipated movie ever? Well, maybe the shitty first movie deterred a few folks. Still, it's strongly in the top ten of opening day numbers, as are all those trashy movies.

You want The Avengers to be the most hyped movie of all time but you have zero evidence to prove it as such. Every summer, there are movies just as hyped as The Avengers.

Or do you honestly believe that Avatar was not as widely hyped as The Avengers? Because reality has a different take on the situation.

THIS argument holds no water.

The Avengers actually has the highest opening day gross ever,if you don't include the midnight showings.The midnight gross is the only thing that DH2 has ahead of The Avengers,but that's not a sign of more hype,it's a sign of more fanbase loyalty.

Mordred11 said:
rocketpig said:

So the second film of the Twilight saga wasn't the most anticipated movie ever? Well, maybe the shitty first movie deterred a few folks. Still, it's strongly in the top ten of opening day numbers, as are all those trashy movies.

You want The Avengers to be the most hyped movie of all time but you have zero evidence to prove it as such. Every summer, there are movies just as hyped as The Avengers.

THIS argument holds no water.

The Avengers actually has the highest opening day gross ever,if you don't include the midnight showings.The midnight gross is the only thing that DH2 has ahead of The Avengers,but that's not a sign of more hype,it's a sign of more fanbase loyalty.

Why wouldn't you include midnight showings? And if it was the most hyped, why didn't it have a stronger midnight showing?

And seriously, you're grasping at straws. If you remove this and that, then the movie was more hyped. Even though it didn't release in as many theatres. And because it doesn't have as loyal a fanbase, even though that makes no sense because "loyal fanbases" go to see the same movies multiple times, even if they're not very good.

And you're still discounting how The Avengers broke records on its second weekend. Yes, The Avengers was hyped. No, you still don't have a lick of evidence to show that it was the most hyped. I presented the one number we can prove to show a movie's hype and that's number of theatres shown. You keep making stuff up to somehow discount the only evidence we have of anything.

Why? Because you want it to be the most hyped movie of all time. Me, I don't really care.