By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avengers is THE best super hero movie thus far.

How many times have you seen it, or plan to, in theaters?

0 0 0%

1 18 50.00%

2 4 11.11%

3 6 16.67%

4 1 2.78%

5 0 0%

6 0 0%

7 0 0%

8 0 0%

see dirty insides 7 19.44%

Total:36

It was very good, not great.

Best non-TDK comic book movie, easily. I am glad it cements Joss Whedlon as a viable writer/director, as he's one of those rare qualities like J.J. Abrams or Chris Nolan.

One of the greatest popcorn movies, but certainly not in my top 10 by a long shot. Really worth the $5 I spent, though.

*edit*

The scary thing is, a movie this good is going to likely be drown out by the exception quality of other movies. I have been looking forward to this year at movies since I knew The Avengers and TDKR was coming out. There are about a dozen solid movies coming out this year, and TA may be the 3rd or 4th best once it comes out. Of course, I am going to watch Prometheus in IMAX or whatever format I can pay for, as I've been excited about it for two years now. I hope it re-invigorates the sorely lacking Sci-fi genre, as its been pretty much dead for a decade since The Matrix: Reloaded killed it.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

Best non-TDK comic book movie, easily. I am glad it cements Joss Whedlon as a viable writer/director, as he's one of those rare qualities like J.J. Abrams or Chris Nolan.

It's been a long time coming for Whedon to get a shot at a blockbuster movie.

Me, I just want to kiss whoever decided to give him a shot at commenting on the original script (that's how this all started, a 3-4 page memo written by Whedon and sent to someone at Marvel Studios) and then had the balls to let him scrap everything, do a massive re-write, and then direct the entire shebang. Guys with his kind of talent who are also massive comic book fans are a real rarity. His love for the characters is apparent throughout the movie. He knew exactly what an Avengers movie should be.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

Me, I just want to kiss whoever decided to give him a shot at commenting on the original script (that's how this all started, a 3-4 page memo written by Whedon and sent to someone at Marvel Studios) and then had the balls to let him scrap everything, do a massive re-write, and then direct the entire shebang. Guys with his kind of talent who are also massive comic book fans are a real rarity. His love for the characters is apparent throughout the movie. He knew exactly what an Avengers movie should be.

wow, I didn't know that backstory. That's awesome.

mrstickball said:

I hope it re-invigorates the sorely lacking Sci-fi genre, as its been pretty much dead for a decade since The Matrix: Reloaded killed it.

Prometheus does look awesome. Did you not like Inception though?

rocketpig said:
mrstickball said:

Didn't know that about Joss. So great that they did let him do this. Whoever greenlit him as director needs to get a big bonus, stat!

(Should be easy enough, given that the movie is heading to $1.3-1.4 billion easily)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
rocketpig said:

wow, I didn't know that backstory. That's awesome.

Yep, that's what I heard on a podcast a month or two ago. Pretty fantastic story.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

mrstickball said:

Best non-TDK comic book movie, easily. I am glad it cements Joss Whedon as a viable writer/director, as he's one of those rare qualities like J.J. Abrams or Chris Nolan.

One of the greatest popcorn movies, but certainly not in my top 10 by a long shot. Really worth the $5 I spent, though.

They are all great and along with Brad Bird, they are my favorite middle generation directors.

rocketpig said:

It's about time for Whedon to have a blockbuster movie. long overdued.

I'm hoping for a Serenity sequel next!

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

rocketpig said:
hunter_alien said:
Thing is people in this thread know what a good comic is, they tend to neglect what a good movie is. Most superhero scripts are just goofy, and thats why they need some change (Snyder knows this, and thank god that he directed Watchmen). The Avengers was a good comic book adaptation but it was only a decent movie, at best. After reading plenty of comic books, and watching far more movies, I have to say, movies are a far more artistic medium IMO. I know that comparing the two is pointless (just like comparing any 2 different artforms), but the truth is that people usually forgive far more in comic books, especially super-hero themed ones.

I doubt taht we will ever see any superhero movie, that will be a top-end movie. Like it or not writing fresh scripts and ideas, almost always has better results

I'm fairly confident I know what a good movie is, having watched over 90 of the Top 100 AFI movies of all time, along with a smattering of the highest rated foreign flicks.

The Avengers was a very good movie, just as Star Wars was a very good movie, just as ET was a very good movie. I don't see anyone here arguing how well The Avengers compares to Casablanca, The Hustler, or On The Waterfront. They're not even comparable past the fact that all of them are "movies". The Avengers is a lot of fun, is well-written, and is a great summer blockbuster. Does that mean it's Schindler's List? Of course not. But that doesn't mean it doesn't do what it's supposed to do very, very well.

PS. If you don't think comics are an artistic medium, you haven't read many comics. Maus says "hi".

PPS. The fact that you think Snyder directing The Watchmen was a good thing (my God, one of the most painful and terrible sex scenes put on film since Cronenburg's Crash) puts into doubt whether you actually know what makes a movie "good". The movie was decent but Jesus-Tap-Dancing-Christ, many of his music choices were agonizing (Sound of Silence during a funeral scene? Yay, Captain Obvious! Hallelujah during a sex scene? Someone shoot the director already.) and the way he dealt with most of the cast just felt a little... lacking. Again, not a bad film but certainly not something that should be put on a pedastal. I mean, this is the guy that brought us Sucker Punch and 300. His storytelling ability could use a bit of refinement.

Rocketpig this was not a personal insult, adressed to you, and in no way derrogative on you work in the comick industry. Its just a general observation. Its not an attack, its a rather ill-expressed opinion, but its just that, an opinion, my friend. Tough here is my next batch

1. NO, I do bealiev that comics are an artistic medium, I only think that movies are far superior. Yes I actually tend to hierarchise them. the only ones that I actually think are on par with movies are novels and games. Shoot me if you want, but its still my opinion.

2. The sex scene in watchemn was discussed over and over and over. Tell me ONE movie that doeasnt has a questionable scene, quality wise. Snyder tries IMO its best, but lets be honest, its obvious that he is pushed partially to make his movies commercially successfull, and that needs scarifices. Is it the best movie ever? By far. But never the less I consider it to be the best comick book adaptation ever. He is a young director, and as such, he needs time to create his own stile. And thus far, he is one of the most promissing from hollywood. Story or not, you have to admit, that his vision is at least a reath of fres air in the already crowded action genre.

3. Sucker Punch... I actually enjoyed that movie. Its his homage to movies like One Flew Over the Cookos Nest, the Matrix and pretty much the entire video game industry. Is it on the convulted and immature side? Yes, but at least he is not trying to be a snob director, like we usually see. Remember he only directed 3 movies and one animated movie thus far, and I cant wait to see his next one, after he is done with The Man of Steel.

4. AFI top 100??? Are you serious. You cant even judge a movies quality by your own. You need a critics list for that? I actually now that list, and have watched EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Im a massive movie buff, every day I devour at least one. The truth is, that list is biased, and my god Im glad that I can make up my own mind about a movies quality. And tbh, the european/asian film industry is far superior lately (and not just) to the US one. This last paragraph... well you can take it as a friendly advise, or as an insult... your choice m8

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

rocketpig said:
Mordred11 said:
rocketpig said:
Mordred11 said:

You're the one that has to get some evidence that it ISN'T the most hyped movie ever.
Theater counts and midnight grosses hold no weight in such a matter.

No, I'm not the one that needs to "get evidence" because you cannot prove a negative. You're the one making grandiose claims, not me.

You're the one that doesn' knowt anything about the box office,you even think reviews are relevant to a movie's opening.Ridiculous.

Yes, it's ridiculous to think that when a movie gets really good reviews, more people go to see it.

RIDICULOUS, I SAY.

But you're right. Obviously, I should defer to your 17 year old wisdom and the completely baseless claims that go along with it, even if the dots don't connect. I'll just slip the logical portion of my brain into my knapsack for a moment while we continue to discuss this topic.

Anyway, I'm done talking to you. I have work to do today.

Are you really going there? And since when age has to do anything with good taste. I know plenty of 17 year olds, who have better understanding of movies as an artform, then most people 30+ that I know. Mordred has a point. Advertising brings in 80% of the revenue in most cases, the last 20%... well word of mouth my friend. Lets be honest, that crapfast that was Avatar didnt get to 2.7 billion, because people saw the true quality in it

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:

Are you really going there? And since when age has to do anything with good taste. I know plenty of 17 year olds, who have better understanding of movies as an artform, then most people 30+ that I know. Mordred has a point. Advertising brings in 80% of the revenue in most cases, the last 20%... well word of mouth my friend. Lets be honest, that crapfast that was Avatar didnt get to 2.7 billion, because people saw the true quality in it

Its a story that as old as movies themselves, but the story is told well and it is a fantastic world, IP, and reinvention of 3D.