By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avengers is THE best super hero movie thus far.

How many times have you seen it, or plan to, in theaters?

0 0 0%

1 18 50.00%

2 4 11.11%

3 6 16.67%

4 1 2.78%

5 0 0%

6 0 0%

7 0 0%

8 0 0%

see dirty insides 7 19.44%

Total:36
rocketpig said:

Why wouldn't you include midnight showings? And if it was the most hyped, why didn't it have a stronger midnight showing?

And seriously, you're grasping at straws. If you remove this and that, then the movie was more hyped. Even though it didn't release in as many theatres. And because it doesn't have as loyal a fanbase, even though that makes no sense because "loyal fanbases" go to see the same movies multiple times, even if they're not very good.

And you're still discounting how The Avengers broke records on its second weekend. Yes, The Avengers was hyped. No, you still don't have a lick of evidence to show that it was the most hyped. I presented the one number we can prove to show a movie's hype and that's number of theatres shown. You keep making stuff up to somehow discount the only evidence we have of anything.

Why? Because you want it to be the most hyped movie of all time. Me, I don't really care.

Because the midnight gross doesn't depend on the hype of a movie,but on the loyalty of the fanbase.The top 5 midnight grosses are from book adaptations,such movies tend to have a more loyal fanbase than a comic-book movie.

Just like you said,Iron Man 2 opened in more theaters than The Avengers. But it's not even in the Top 10 midnight-grossing movies.It's not a sign of hype.

Around the Network

d21lewis said:

Honorable Mentions to: Captain America, Kick Ass, The Incredible Hulk, Superman, Batman (1989), Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen, Hellboy, 300, A History of Violence, Blade (the forgotten hero in this Marvel revolution) and Thor.

OMG, how could I forget about Blade! That film was awesome! (not so much the sequels though).

If the highest opening week-end ever,even adjusted for inflation, isn't a sign that it's the most hyped movie ever,then I have no idea what else could be a sign.
You're the one that has to get some evidence that it ISN'T the most hyped movie ever.
Theater counts and midnight grosses hold no weight in such a matter.

Mordred11 said:

You're the one that has to get some evidence that it ISN'T the most hyped movie ever.

No, I'm not the one that needs to "get evidence" because you cannot prove a negative. You're the one making grandiose claims, not me.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Mordred11 said:

No, I'm not the one that needs to "get evidence" because you cannot prove a negative. You're the one making grandiose claims, not me.

You're the one that doesn' knowt anything about the box office,you even think reviews are relevant to a movie's opening.Ridiculous.

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
rocketpig said:
Mordred11 said:

You're the one that doesn' knowt anything about the box office,you even think reviews are relevant to a movie's opening.Ridiculous.

Yes, it's ridiculous to think that when a movie gets really good reviews, more people go to see it.

RIDICULOUS, I SAY.

But you're right. Obviously, I should defer to your 17 year old wisdom and the completely baseless claims that go along with it, even if the dots don't connect. I'll just slip the logical portion of my brain into my knapsack for a moment while we continue to discuss this topic.

Anyway, I'm done talking to you. I have work to do today.

rocketpig said:

Yes, it's ridiculous to think that when a movie gets really good reviews, more people go to see it.

RIDICULOUS, I SAY.

But you're right. Obviously, I should defer to your 17 year old wisdom and the completely baseless claims that go along with it, even if the dots don't connect.

Now you're bringing out the age argument.Surely you must be more experienced with how a movie performs,because you're older.MAKES SENSE.

Let me tell you a little secret. Not even 5 damn percent of the people that went to see the Avengers know/care about it's reviews.

I have to say rocketpig, I've agreed with virtually everything you've said in this thread.

Scoobes said:
I have to say rocketpig, I've agreed with virtually everything you've said in this thread.

Well, thank you.

Yeah rocketpig really holds any argument I'd state, but in a far better way.

Really, the only super hero movies I think are close are TDK, Batman Begins, Spiderman1/2, Superman (original), Xmen FC, ... and really that's about it.

Watchmen was ok, but it was also very dry. Sin City was just ok and really without the T&A.. meh. The most of the other movies you all list are average at best.

Avengers has comedy and action that the new Batman stories lack. It has better characterization and action than spidey or superman... XmenFC was far closer of a movie, but that lacked the intensity that makes you want to go see it over and over again.

I have watched those movies more than once, but not in a theater. Avengers makes you want to watch it again in a theater before its gone. I went on the 2nd weekend and there were a good number of people there who have seen it three times already. That's the pull this movie has. TDK and others simply don't have that.

Transformers sold a ton at the theater on hype alone. Avengers is selling far more because its a superb movie and well worth the 2.5hrs and $10.