By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avengers is THE best super hero movie thus far.

How many times have you seen it, or plan to, in theaters?

0 0 0%

1 18 50.00%

2 4 11.11%

3 6 16.67%

4 1 2.78%

5 0 0%

6 0 0%

7 0 0%

8 0 0%

see dirty insides 7 19.44%

Total:36
rocketpig said:

Okay, I have to ask. Outside of the visuals, what makes Sin City so great? Its schlocky dialogue? The gratuitous T&A? The corny acting? Once you get past the stunning visuals, the movie is incredibly mediocre. I enjoy the movie and have watched it a half dozen times but as an overall movie, The Avengers is a better film. The Watchmen was okay. Spider-Man 2 was decent.

Outside of TDK, all the movies you listed are somewhere between mediocre and good, not great.

There is nothing quite like Sin City's atmosphere,there was absolutely no boring moment for me.The violence displayed in the movie was both brutal and entertaining at the same time.Overall,I just love the storyline,and the movie stays very true to it's original material.

In my eyes,it's a timeless classic,because it shows the dark side of humanity in a very entertaining,but disturbing way.

Saying that Sin City is mediocre places you in the minority,since it's highly rated between both critics and audiences.

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
rocketpig said:

Okay, I have to ask. Outside of the visuals, what makes Sin City so great? Its schlocky dialogue? The gratuitous T&A? The corny acting? Once you get past the stunning visuals, the movie is incredibly mediocre. I enjoy the movie and have watched it a half dozen times but as an overall movie, The Avengers is a better film. The Watchmen was okay. Spider-Man 2 was decent.

Outside of TDK, all the movies you listed are somewhere between mediocre and good, not great.

There is nothing quite like Sin City's atmosphere,there was absolutely no boring moment for me.The violence displayed in the movie was both brutal and entertaining at the same.Overall,I just love the storyline,and the movie stays very true to it's original material.

In my eyes,it's a timeless classic,because it shows the dark side of humanity in a very entertaining,but disturbing way.

Saying that Sin City is mediocre places you in the minority,since it's highly rated between both critics and audiences.

Ugh. "The dark side of humanity?" Sin City is a classic Frank Miller wankfest. I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit (and I didn't call the movie mediocre, I said once you get past the visuals, it's a mediocre film... but hey, visuals still count) but it's the kind of "dark realism" that a juvenile thinks is real while adults roll their eyes. Hell, Miller's "dark and gritty realism" is what caused the early 90s to be called "the death of comic books". Miller does a decent job with Sin City but it's not even close to his best work and by the time the comic came out in the early 90s, I was getting tired of those kinds of stories because, well, because I was growing up.

Again, Sin City is stunning visually and a decent movie overall but it's far from perfect and it didn't receive anything close to the ratings of either TDK or The Avengers. It's currently sitting at 78% on Rotten Tomatoes compared to 93 for The Avengers and 94 for TDK. I don't put a lot of stock into reviews but when a movie is sitting over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, you can almost be sure it's a quality film.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

Ugh. "The dark side of humanity?" Sin City is a classic Frank Miller wankfest. I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit (and I didn't call the movie mediocre, I said once you get past the visuals, it's a mediocre film... but hey, visuals still count) but it's the kind of "dark realism" that a juvenile thinks is real while adults roll their eyes. Hell, Miller's "dark and gritty realism" is what caused the early 90s to be called "the death of comic books". Miller does a decent job with Sin City but it's not even close to his best work and by the time the comic came out in the early 90s, I was getting tired of those kinds of stories because, well, because I was growing up.

Again, Sin City is stunning visually and a decent movie overall but it's far from perfect and it didn't receive anything close to the ratings of either TDK or The Avengers. It's currently sitting at 78% on Rotten Tomatoes compared to 93 for The Avengers and 94 for TDK. I don't put a lot of stock into reviews but when a movie is sitting over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, you can almost be sure it's a quality film.

The Avengers is getting all these good ratings because the majority are blinded by the action,visuals and humour , and can't see that what lies behind those components is a mix-up of crappy acting and a weak plot.

I'm not saying the movie ain't good,it just isn't nearly as good as the majority claims it to be. It's a 8.5/10 at most, not 10/10 , 9.5/10 or 9/10 as they say.

spurgeonryan said:
You guys serious about Prometheus? I think it will be lucky to push out any more than Battlefield does this weekend.

I don't care a damn about box office.  If Scott delivers anything close to Alien the film will be superior than most other fare this summer.  I'm just glad to see a high profile picture that doesn't try and squeeze itself into a PG-13.

One thing for sure - with Scott and that budget only The Dark Knight Rises has a chance of being visually close to Prometheus - and I don't mean number of effects I mean composition and constructions of shots.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
rocketpig said:

The Avengers is getting all these good ratings because the majority are blinded by the action,visuals and humour , and can't see that what lies behind those components is a mix-up of crappy acting and a weak plot.

Yes, reviewers are reknown for falling for quick visuals masking a weak story and acting, which is why the Transformers movies have a 57, 35, and 27 on Rotten Tomatoes.

Oh, wait. That's right, Rotten Tomatoes is brutal toward films, with very few getting over 90%. Even fewer of those movies are action-y type films.

Go ahead and find a movie on Rotten Tomatoes that has scored over 90% and is a bad film.

It's more than slightly ironic that you're talking about people being blinded by visuals and action while trumpeting the cause of Sin City.

rocketpig said:
Mordred11 said:
rocketpig said:

Yes, reviewers are reknown for falling for quick visuals masking a weak story and acting, which is why the Transformers movies have a 57, 35, and 27 on Rotten Tomatoes.

Oh, wait.

Go ahead and find a movie on Rotten Tomatoes that has scored over 90% and is a bad film.

The Transformers or any for that matter has never had as much hype as The Avengers. You can't compare The Avengers with any other popcorn flick.It's one of a kind in terms of anticipation.

I didn't say The Avengers is a bad film.Didn't I say that it's a 8.5/10 ? The acting and plot may be average or even lower,but it's still one of the most entertaining movies out there.

Mordred11 said:
rocketpig said:

Oh, wait.

The Transformers or any for that matter has ever had as much hype as The Avengers. You can't compare The Avengers with any other popcorn flick.It's one of a kind in terms of anticipation.

I didn't say The Avengers is a bad film.Didn't I say that it's a 8.5/10 ? The acting and plot may be average or even lower,but it's still one of the most entertaining movies out there.

The Transformers didn't have as much hype as The Avengers? Wha? I think you're confusing "hype" with "non-shitty reviews". Every summer, there are 2-3 films that receive Avengers level of hype. The thing is that most of the hype dies quickly because the movies kinda (or completely) suck.

The Star Wars prequels, LOTR, Transformers, Avatar, the final Harry Potter films, Pirates of the Caribbean, and yes, your beloved The Dark Knight... The list goes on and on and on of movies that have gone into the mega-hype machine. The thing is that you don't remember it because a) you're probably young and b) many of those movies were mediocre or flat-out sucked ass.

I wouldn't say The Avengers is THE best superhero movie, but I would say it's the most entertaining one. Take it as a single movie, it does not build up each character enough since there are so many of them. However, action sequences are great and it was a lot of fun.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

spurgeonryan said:
Crappy acting? I think maybe there is a cultural translation problem here. The acting was well done, and the plot was just fine! Does anyone who is not a Batman fan even know what was actually going on in TDK? Or was it the great performance by Heath Ledger alone and the music that made that movie what it is today?

It's really hard to argue that the acting in Avengers was bad. The characterization was the movie's strong point, much more than the plot itself. Every character had a "star moment" and were loved by the audience at one point or another. The biggest letdown was probably Jeremy Renner but that's hardly his fault considering he barely got any real screen time in the first 2/3rds of the movie. The characters drove this movie. That's pretty much impossible if the actors are performing badly.