By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: NSMB2 will outsell the top 10 PSV games shown off at E3 2012 combined

Will this prediction become true?

Yes, definitely. 244 53.39%

Probably. 103 22.54%

Maybe. Maybe not. 42 9.19%

Unlikely. 33 7.22%

Impossible. 35 7.66%

Total:457
leatherhat said:
Soul sacrifice will outsell NSMB2

I will stand by this prediction until the day I die

Ok, while Rol's prediction seems doable, this prediction sounds crazy.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Gilmour said:

Best PSV game so far is Uncharted Golden Abyss with around 500,000 copies sold.

If every of the 10 PSV games can reach that score, we have a total of 5,000,000 copies (and this is the best case senario).

NSMB2 Will sell far more than 5M.

At the moment the best-selling 3DS-game has 5 million now. I expect NSMB to break 10 million lifetime, but I also expect the Vita to sell more units. It will surely reach more than 5 million after the holidays and Uncharted breaks 1 million. At that point NSMB will not have 10 million (I think). But both will sell more later. And here is the thing we all don't know. Maybe the Vita will take the way of the PS3 with a late success. That would also mean these games will sell more. That makes Rol's prediction likely, but far from a sure thing.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

We're talking Global, right?

Assuming NSMB2 sells at least 25m LTD (NSMB on DS sold 28m), each of the PS Vita announced games would have to at least sell 2.5m each... Looking at PSP sales charts, current PS Vita market share, 5 of the 10 games will need to at least sell 4-7 millions. Even if Monster Hunter is announced, as well as a GTA game (Top 2 PSP titles), they would have to sell 7m and 5m, respectively, again, and Vita would still need another two to three titles that are at least 3-4 millions sellers to top NSBM2... Nintendo would have to be on top of their game and continue the barrage of announcements to maintain their momentum.

If this is does happens, Malstrom would only be proven right that there really is need for more production of 2D Mario.

logic56 said:
amp316 said:
As ridiculous as it seemed at first glance I actually took the time to think about your statement and have to say that you are 100% correct.

Things look bleak for the Vita, don't they?

a game.... completely unrelated to any of the Vita's core gaming experiences, from a franchise that has ALWAYS sold a tons of units, mostly to people who would probably never buy a Vita, means things look bleak for Vita....how the hell does that work? honest question

Considering that the 3DS and the Vita are direct competitors I would say that it's a pretty bleak situation that there 10 top selling selling games won't outsell 1 on the 3DS regardless of whether that game is Mario or not.  Sorry, but that's not a recipe for success.

Or are the Vita and 3DS not competitors?  Honest question. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
logic56 said:
amp316 said:
As ridiculous as it seemed at first glance I actually took the time to think about your statement and have to say that you are 100% correct.

a game.... completely unrelated to any of the Vita's core gaming experiences, from a franchise that has ALWAYS sold a tons of units, mostly to people who would probably never buy a Vita, means things look bleak for Vita....how the hell does that work? honest question

Considering that the 3DS and the Vita are direct competitors I would say that it's a pretty bleak situation that there 10 top selling selling games won't outsell 1 on the 3DS regardless of whether that game is Mario or not.  Sorry, but that's not a recipe for success.

New Super Mario bros wii sold  over 25 million units more than the top 5 ps3 exclusives games combined  and it meant absolutely fuck all so why the hell would this be any different? other than a bunch of Nintendo fans trying their hardest to feel important

thread translation "see we are can sell lots o gamez though, guys.....guys"

and they are about as much competitors with each other as the PS3 is to the wii, remember that console?? the one Nintendo fans want people to believe/care was the market leader this gen, I know I hardly remember it either, but if memory serves me right it sold over 30 million units more than ps3 with it's top 10 games that probable sold more than the top 50 ps3 games, and on a scale of zero to no one guess how much it mattered?

it's cute though and really sad especially considering it will be the same game they've been making since forever

lol watch this, hey everyone here who currently owns NSMB for the DS, quickly, play it in your 3DS....you are now playing NSMB2....

that's my secret for not caring about Nintendo games, I just play the old ones lol

Around the Network
logic56 said:
amp316 said:
logic56 said:
amp316 said:

New Super Mario bros wii sold  over 25 million units more than the top 5 ps3 exclusives games combined  and it meant absolutely fuck all so why the hell would this be any different? other than a bunch of Nintendo fans trying their hardest to feel important

and they are about as much competitors with each other as the PS3 is to the wii, remember that console?? the one Nintendo fans want people to believe/care was the market leader this gen, I know I hardly remember it either, but if memory serves me right it sold over 30 million units more than ps3 with it's top 10 games that probable sold more than the top 50 ps3 games, and on a scale of zero to no one guess how much it mattered?

it's cute though and really sad especially considering it will be the same game they've been making since forever

lol watch this, hey everyone here who currently owns NSMB for the DS, quickly, play it in your 3DS....you are now playing NSMB2....

that's my secret for not caring about Nintendo games, I just play the old ones lol

Wii was/is in a market of three competitors, so the PS360 was slightly ahead in sales all of the time. And 3rd party offerings were too little and too late to the Wii Party. Nobody expected the Wii success, not even Ninty, imo.

That's a completely different situation with 3DS/Vita. If anything it's a situation like DS/PSP, which ended in a software drough for PSP in the western market and a slightly better position in Japan. The difference in PSP/DS vs 3DS/Vita situation is that the 3DS head start makes things even worse for vita. Adding that a price cut for Vita would be expensive for Sony and probably not possible until end 2013, and the fact that Ninty is releasing NSMB2, one should be worried about the Vita future.

Ignoring facts and bashing the Mario series won't make things easier to understand.

After reading through this thread, I'm convinced that Michael Patcher is a user here. And his username is Gilgamesh.

OT: You might as well have said EVERY game shown at E3.

logic56 said:

The only sad part here is the Vita sales, and that's why Rol is so certain that the top 10 games shown on e3 this year won't rival the sales of NSMB2...

And why is it sad that Nintendo keeps making a game (forever) that people truly enjoy? Isn't it more sad that Activision dishes out the same game EVERY year? Before NSMB came out in 2006 (or whatever when) there hadn't been a 2d mario for 15 years... And since then we've only gotten 1 more game in the same series... And then you got Sonys top selling 1st party series Uncharted and GoW... The seem to released every second or third year - and that's a hell of alot more frequent than 2D mario...

Take your trolling elsewhere

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

logic56 said:

1.) New Super Mario bros wii sold  over 25 million units more than the top 5 ps3 exclusives games combined  and it meant absolutely fuck all so why the hell would this be any different? other than a bunch of Nintendo fans trying their hardest to feel important

2.) thread translation "see we are can sell lots o gamez though, guys.....guys"

3.) and they are about as much competitors with each other as the PS3 is to the wii, remember that console?? the one Nintendo fans want people to believe/care was the market leader this gen, I know I hardly remember it either, but if memory serves me right it sold over 30 million units more than ps3 with it's top 10 games that probable sold more than the top 50 ps3 games, and on a scale of zero to no one guess how much it mattered?

1.) That's a very bad comparison. For one, he said 10 games, not 5. That's double the difference. Secondly, the PS3's best selling games are NOT exclusives, so by you including only exclusives, you are leaving out the PS3's biggest sellers. Rol is talking about the PSV's best sellers, period, not just exclusives. So now go do your comparison again with ten (not five) of the PS3's best sellers (not best selling exclusives).

2.) I'm not sure what you mean here. This is a sales website, so it's only natural that there will be topics about sales.

3.) Yes, the 3DS & Vita are direct competitors. The 3DS appeals to casual gamers, but it appeals to hardcore gamers, the Vita's target demographic.

I deleted the rest of your post because you really started to dwell off into irrelevancy.

ninty_shareholder64 said:

Wii was/is in a market of three competitors, so the PS360 was slightly ahead in sales all of the time. And 3rd party offerings were too little and too late to the Wii Party. Nobody expected the Wii success, not even Ninty, imo.

That's a completely different situation with 3DS/Vita. If anything it's a situation like DS/PSP, which ended in a software drough for PSP in the western market and a slightly better position in Japan. The difference in PSP/DS vs 3DS/Vita situation is that the 3DS head start makes things even worse for vita. Adding that a price cut for Vita would be expensive for Sony and probably not possible until end 2013, and the fact that Ninty is releasing NSMB2, one should be worried about the Vita future.

Ignoring facts and bashing the Mario series won't make things easier to understand.

like you ignoring that Mario selling a lot means fuck all to a PlayStation console, you are aware of that fact right, Mario has historically sold way more than anything on PlayStation and every single time it mean absolutely nothing, I get how Nintendo fans what people to care (because without there's *crickets*)

I think that was clear

and the only people worried about Vita are people who hate Sony.....and people who listen to people who hate Sony