By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How was the VGC of Old?! Newbs and Vets welcome alike!

Was it better in the old days?

Hellz yeah! 53 59.55%

Naaaw, I don't know... 5 5.62%

I don't care... 5 5.62%

w00T?! Noooooo! 3 3.37%

I miss my old friends/frienemies :( 5 5.62%

Now is not the time to look back! 8 8.99%

Meeh, show resultz 10 11.24%

Total:89

Yes, Rol and twesterm are still here. Just twesterm is not on much or funny.

Around the Network

That's great! The other day I was having music lessons with a girl from Austria and I remembered Rol, so I decided to tell this girl about him and asked her how popular Kim possible was in Austria.( Yep, she kicked me out of the room)

DanneSandin said:
amp316 said:
The biggest difference is that back then there were many members with very strong personalities. Nowadays more and more people are posting in similar styles and it makes the forums suffer overall.

Show some creativity people!

Would you care to expand that? How do we get the standard up? =)

It's not so much the standards as it was that there were stronger personalities that made you take notice of them.  Presently everyone seems to tailor their threads and comments in order to say what they want, but be careful to not offend anyone.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think that everyone should go around being a jerkface, but they shouldn't be afraid to ruffle some feathers either. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

sethnintendo said:
Mummelmann said:
sethnintendo said:
Gilgamesh said:

The only joker I know of left on this site would be D21.  He is about the only one on this site that can make me laugh.  Almost everyone else has a lame sense of humor.

Hmm, what about badgenome and amp316? D21 is a helluva funny guy though, you're absolutely right about that.

Yea, I forgot to mention a few others and I covered my ass by mentioning badgenome later.  Amp is alright but I view him as an old timer whose humor usually pleases the old and young.  He has made me laugh a few times but I view him more of a Jay Leno comedian than someone that can make me really laugh. 

If I can't get a stoner like you to giggle, then I'm doing something wrong.  You must be into the higher brow stuff like Paulie Shore, Jack Black, and Bill and Ted. 

By the way, I can't stand Jay Leno!  Please do not ever compare me to him ever again.

*Holds applause sign up over head*

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Mummelmann said:
Hmm, all this got me thinking; am I the only member who has never changed his avatar? Not even once in almost five years.

I know of another guy that's never changed his avatar.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
NiKKoM said:
It was awesome.. we had threads without spurgeonryan.. good times.. nowadays he is just everywhere...

This.

And we had more Dutchmen posting, but then we lost our third World Cup final and a lot of our fellow countrymen disappeared forever.

But we're going to win the EC, so all will  be well

Gilgamesh said:
DanneSandin said:

Oh man, I wouldn't even now where to "branch out"... what the hell? :P But I agree that ppl need to lighten up! It's not until recently I've understood what ppl like Rol is doing (well, at least in some cases)... I think I saw you over att the Wii fad thread, right? I found that quite amusing! But what is a thread of epic propotions to you?!

DMeisterJ caught cheating for example. The OP is missing but basically what happened in the thread was a well known user was found at GAF which at the time was some serious wars going on back and forth. But anyway a well known user from VG Chartz (DMJ) was posting in GAF and saying how he liked it so much, anyway Benga  (at the time a Site Administer) was in GAF looking around and found DMJ in there posting how he likes GAF more. Anyway Benga made a thread about it and people were making fun of him calling him a whore and DMJ was playing along just as much. He also got banned for a few hours and since Benga was a site admin he wrote "site whore" above his avatar on his profile and DMJ made a bunch of alts trying to keep coming back and giving his explanation lol it was great. There are a handful of times I actually bursted out laughing at a thread, and this was one.

Another one is every year ioi was watched the F1 and he would like one guy and I think thesource liked another. Anyway at the time thesource was a site admin and ioi got pissed because his guy lost and anyone who liked the other guy would get a ban by ioi and in the end thesource ended up banning ioi. It happened a couple times both with pretty halarious.

Another time there was a thread and I forget who but maybe ioi banned all the mods on the site for the night for some reason lol

There was some fun with Trashleg and ioi one night when there were arguing (not really seriously) about something and ioi was like I'm the boss you can't ban me, which she ended up doing then he baned her lol something like that funny thread.

Basically when the mods or site admins get involved it makes a thread pretty fun.

Found it! Also added it back to the original OP.

Edit: actually it was ioi that banned him for (literally) being a "filthy site whore" LOL

amp316 said:
Mummelmann said:
Hmm, all this got me thinking; am I the only member who has never changed his avatar? Not even once in almost five years.

I know of another guy that's never changed his avatar.

I did change mine once, but I think there are very few people here left that remember my old avatar. (Hell there are propbably many people here now that don't recognize my current one)

Mummelmann said:

I've never changed mine. Day one pick and its stayed teh same.

For me it was two things that directly affected each other.

1) real chartZ
2) real discussions

When I jumped on board ioi had amazing tools and chartz to help you get anything you wanted to make a solid point. That also helped make great threads. We could post great trending graphs that were actually from this site, not excel. From that people actually made well good arguments and had lengthy discussions.

Now, you try to make big threads to stimulate conversation about games and sales and ... well you get gilgamesh threads instead. Not that his threads are bad, their just not based on the site's topic generally. Those seem to be the only threads that last anymore.

However, this is probably due to this gen being over for the last couple of years. As the next gen ramps up throughout 2013.... we'll be back in business I hope. Hopefully, ioi will add back in better charting and graphs too.