By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why Ricky Gervais is an atheist

TheProphet said:
bluesinG said:
TheProphet said:
bluesinG said:
TheProphet said:
 As to creation, the Bible does not give a date. Some people have tried to use the Bible to make that calculation many years ago. However, nowhere does the Bible say just how long ago. The Bible does say emphatically that God created the universe. NASA has discovered the age of the universe. It has a beginning, therefore it was created. If you believe that the universe created itself out of nothing then you are taking an enormous leap of faith. Something does not come from nothing. Where did all the matter come from?" An where did intelligence come from? There is no law of physics that says that life, and especial intelligence, will come into being. That's like saying that there is a law of nature that turns rocks into brains. It is false. There is no such law.

Who created god? Did god create themself out of nothing?

I don't see how saying "god has existed since the beginning of time; there was nothing before god" makes any more sense than saying "the universe has existed since the beginning of time; there was nothing before the universe."

fyi, time was created with the universe. This was discovered by our smartest scientists. God did not exist from the beginning of time. God existed BEFORE time. The universe is about 14 billion years old according to NASA. Time was created with the matter of the universe. Since God can create time and matter God must be able to control time. The only way to control time is to be immune to it. i.e. (that is) God is timeless, immortal, always was. Therefore God was not created, but is immortal. This Biblical description of God is in perfect harmony with our most advanced science. For people who believe in God, which is over ninety percent of the world, we have no conflict between science and our believe in God. 

I hope you realize the flawed logic of that statement. In any case, you're avoiding the question: Where did god come from? Who or what created god?

Logically, saying "god has always existed; nothing created him or caused him to exist" is no more satisfying than saying "the big bang was the beginning of time; we don't know what caused it".

The logic is not flawed. Perhaps my explanation was inadequate. I will try again.

The universe and time were created. Only a God could create time and a universe.  

Woah, what? How'd you know the universe and time were created? How could you possibly know what created them? These are huge leaps in logic.

Around the Network

I always wondered what difference there would make if there were a god.

The universe is really big. And really old. Lots of shit has happened/is happening that we don't know about. Who's to say there wasn't some being created? Who's to say that being wasn't powerful? Who's to say that powerful being wasn't self-aware? Who's to say that self-aware, powerful being wasn't also aware of everything there is to know?

Hell, for all we know, the universe IS god. Yep, let's just say that. The universe is god. Seems plausible to me.

But of course, that deviates from most Earthly definitions of god.

pezus said:
Jay520 said:

The universe is really big. And really old. Lots of shit has happened/is happening that we don't know about. Who's to say there wasn't some being created? Who's to say that being wasn't powerful? Who's to say that powerful being wasn't self-aware? Who's to say that self-aware, powerful being wasn't also aware of everything there is to know?

Hell, for all we know, the universe IS god. Yep, let's just say that. The universe is god. Seems plausible to me.

Actually, now that I think about & after skimming that, the universe = God does sound absurd. If God = Universe, doesn't that defeat the purposing of God existing in the first place? Why come up with the name "God" at all? Why not just call it the universe?

There seems to be a religion based around anything. There may actually be a few religions that some athiests fit into.

pezus said:
Jay520 said:
pezus said:
Jay520 said:

Actually, now that I think about & after skimming that, the universe = God does sound absurd. If God = Universe, doesn't that defeat the purposing of God existing in the first place? Why come up with the name "God" at all? Why not just call it the universe?

There seems to be a religion based around anything. There may actually be a few religions that some athiests fit into.

That's exactly what I've wondered. But you know, it's all about money and power.

And the bitches & hoes. Don't forget the bitches & hoes.

Jay520 said:

Don't you think it would be better to give everyone the oppurtunity to prove that they can respond to peaceful words? Rather than being blunt or aggressive to them just because your past debaters were shitheads?

I find it very interesting that you say when you were sensitive & peaceful, that it got you no where. However, in this very thread, you've witnessed and acknowledged that sensitivity & peacefulness trumps bluntness & aggressiveness even when the message is the same. If people respond logically to Ricky's words and not yours, doesn't that prove that you're WORSE off by being blunt? Doesn't peaceful words seem to elicit more logical response then aggressive? (based off this thread)

Makes me wonder A.) Where you ever as peaceful as you say you were? B.) Do you prefer to elicit a strong, passionate response (like the one's you say you've recently been getting), or an actual logical response (like the responses to Ricky), and C.) Who were these people that you communicated with for the "better part of a decade", who has determined your pre-impressions of people today?

Of course I think it would be better, but history has taught me that tact doesn't get you anywhere when dealing with a collective group that falls back on the "it's faith, deal with it" argument every time they've been shown beyond a reasonable doubt that they're wrong.  the only way to make the world see how dated religious beliefs are and move on from them is to make it clear that such behaviour is not really acceptable, at least not when there are millions of people worldwide doing all they can to inject religious beliefs and attitudes into politics, education, and other aspects of the world that the spiritual has no place. 

This thread has not gotten  us anywhere. While people have mostly been pretty civil, there's still a metric tonne of faulty logic being thrown around on top of the pile of poor debate skills.  also, 'based on this thread' means nothing.  I've written dozens of essays and papers for school and in debate articles online explaining in an even MORE objective and detached ways that religion makes no sense (not talking about it being me who didn't believe, simply laying down the facts and counter facts to come to a conclision, the way a debate SHOULD work), and that didn't do anything, just got more of the same faulty logic and 'don't judge me based on my religion' and 'I have a right to have faith' kneejerk reactions we get the world over when they're backed into a corner.  'proving' something means at least some sort of consistency, if anything, this thread has only proven that you can't have a rational argument with those who believe in god (at least on the subject on whether God exists or not, or what religion is right). 

I do prefer to elicit a strong, passionate response if only to get people to put their best foot forward rather than just spouting nonsense.  The places I used to discuss this was in school (debate club, law class, philosophy class, history class etc), amongst my friends (all of which are known to be very intelligent), with my ex girlfriend (who is a nurse and very intelligent, aside from her faulty logic when it comes to religion), amongst others online, and even on other forums, and I always, ALWAYS get the same responses:  a wave of people insisting that they're allowed to have faith, or that you can't prove god exists so we shouldn't bother.  The only people I've ever had a decent debate with were my friends...who are all atheists and have come up with more logical, rational arguments in favor of religion than any fundamentalist or other religious type I've ever met.  

so yes, I've spent a lot of time being civil, but unless you're Ghandi, peace does not equal progress.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
TheProphet said:
bluesinG said:
TheProphet said:
bluesinG said:
TheProphet said:
 As to creation, the Bible does not give a date. Some people have tried to use the Bible to make that calculation many years ago. However, nowhere does the Bible say just how long ago. The Bible does say emphatically that God created the universe. NASA has discovered the age of the universe. It has a beginning, therefore it was created. If you believe that the universe created itself out of nothing then you are taking an enormous leap of faith. Something does not come from nothing. Where did all the matter come from?" An where did intelligence come from? There is no law of physics that says that life, and especial intelligence, will come into being. That's like saying that there is a law of nature that turns rocks into brains. It is false. There is no such law.

I don't see how saying "god has existed since the beginning of time; there was nothing before god" makes any more sense than saying "the universe has existed since the beginning of time; there was nothing before the universe."

fyi, time was created with the universe. This was discovered by our smartest scientists. God did not exist from the beginning of time. God existed BEFORE time. The universe is about 14 billion years old according to NASA. Time was created with the matter of the universe. Since God can create time and matter God must be able to control time. The only way to control time is to be immune to it. i.e. (that is) God is timeless, immortal, always was. Therefore God was not created, but is immortal. This Biblical description of God is in perfect harmony with our most advanced science. For people who believe in God, which is over ninety percent of the world, we have no conflict between science and our believe in God. 

I hope you realize the flawed logic of that statement. In any case, you're avoiding the question: Where did god come from? Who or what created god?

Logically, saying "god has always existed; nothing created him or caused him to exist" is no more satisfying than saying "the big bang was the beginning of time; we don't know what caused it".

The logic is not flawed. Perhaps my explanation was inadequate. I will try again.

The universe and time were created. Only a God could create time and a universe.  

Since God created time with the universe there was no time until God created it. (I realize this is a difficult concept, but it is worth trying to understand.) Therefore there could never be anything before God because time did not exist before God created it. 

The reason this explanation is satisfying because it is based on a consistent appreciation of advanced science.  It is not based on a faulty comparison between before and after time was created. 

I know what you meant to say. When time began, god already existed.

But you still haven't addressed my argument. You've argued that (1) something can't spontaneously come into existence from nothing, and (2) the big bang was something, so therefore (3) the big bang must have been caused/created by something (for example, god).

By the same logic, I'm arguing that (1) if something can't spontaneously come into existence from nothing, and (2) god is something, then (3) god must have been caused/created by something.

To accept the existence of god, I think you have to accept that either (a) something (for example, god) CAN spontaneously come into existence from nothing, or (b) god was caused/created by something. So which one of those two premises (a or b) do you accept? Can something spontaneously come into existence from nothing, or was god caused/created by something?

TheProphet said:
bluesinG said:
TheProphet said:
bluesinG said:
TheProphet said:

Since God created time with the universe there was no time until God created it. (I realize this is a difficult concept, but it is worth trying to understand.) Therefore there could never be anything before God because time did not exist before God created it. 

The reason this explanation is satisfying because it is based on a consistent appreciation of advanced science.  It is not based on a faulty comparison between before and after time was created. 

sweethart, you need to realize that the logic of a omnipotent being creating anything is flawed at it's core.

Why would a god create something? He would alredy know how it would look, and what would happen to it and how it would end, even before he started.

There is absolutely no reason for a perfect being to create.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

TheProphet said:
The reason Ricky Gervais is an atheist is because he hasn't really bothered to think about it

First the intellectual argument. There is plenty of evidence for God in science. One only has to look and think for themselves. The universe has a beginning. It was created. That agrees with the Bible that was written thousands of years ago. Life is really complicated. The chance of life resulting from random mutations is so low it is ludicrous. The only intelligent explanation is that there is a very intelligence creator. The alternative is to believe that everything came from nothing. Since that never happens it is a very poor explanation. So Ricky Garvais is dead wrong when he thinks that science does not support a belief in God. I know some scientist believe this, but they are a small group of irrational people. Most intelligent people believe in God. The argument for atheism from science is not credible.

Hi. First, welcome to VGChartz. Second, I really don't want to look like I'm bashing you, so I'm sorry if I cause offence.

You seem to think you are coming at this from a "scientific" perspective, which you are most certainly not. Here's the deal with science; if theory A is wrong, it doesn't mean theory B is right. You seem to think that is how it works.

Let's assume for a minute that evolution/abiogenesis is wrong, and let's assume that everything couldn't have come from nothing - Then why does that make God's existence fact?

For example. If I say our space and time was caused by the big bang (theory A) and you say it was created by god because something had to initiate it (theory B), then you can prove theory A is wrong all you like, but it doesn't make theory B right. The actual answer could be theory C, or D.

I haven't seen you take this into consideration in this thread so far. All I've seen you say is "the universe had a beginning, all things that have a beginning need an origin. The origin can only be God". I'm sorry, but that just doesn't cut it and in no way falls under "science". All you have are a bunch of made up premises and then an arbitrary conclusion.

How can you test this? How can you find out that your conclusion is the correct one given your premises? How can you even test that your premises are correct? - you can't just rely on knocking down other theories and then claiming yours the victor, it doesn't work like that.

highwaystar101 said:
TheProphet said:
The reason Ricky Gervais is an atheist is because he hasn't really bothered to think about it

First the intellectual argument. There is plenty of evidence for God in science. One only has to look and think for themselves. The universe has a beginning. It was created. That agrees with the Bible that was written thousands of years ago. Life is really complicated. The chance of life resulting from random mutations is so low it is ludicrous. The only intelligent explanation is that there is a very intelligence creator. The alternative is to believe that everything came from nothing. Since that never happens it is a very poor explanation. So Ricky Garvais is dead wrong when he thinks that science does not support a belief in God. I know some scientist believe this, but they are a small group of irrational people. Most intelligent people believe in God. The argument for atheism from science is not credible.

Hi. First, welcome to VGChartz. Second, I really don't want to look like I'm bashing you, so I'm sorry if I cause offence.

You seem to think you are coming at this from a "scientific" perspective, which you are most certainly not. Here's the deal with science; if theory A is wrong, it doesn't mean theory B is right. You seem to think that is how it works.

Let's assume for a minute that evolution/abiogenesis is wrong, and let's assume that everything couldn't have come from nothing - Then why does that make God's existence fact?

For example. If I say our space and time was caused by the big bang (theory A) and you say it was created by god because something had to initiate it (theory B), then you can prove theory A is wrong all you like, but it doesn't make theory B right. The actual answer could be theory C, or D.

I haven't seen you take this into consideration in this thread so far. All I've seen you say is "the universe had a beginning, all things that have a beginning need an origin. The origin can only be God". I'm sorry, but that just doesn't cut it and in no way falls under "science". All you have are a bunch of made up premises and then an arbitrary conclusion.

How can you test this? How can you find out that your conclusion is the correct one given your premises? How can you even test that your premises are correct? - you can't just rely on knocking down other theories and then claiming yours the victor, it doesn't work like that.

And that is why some of us understand that one cannot apply a scientific approach to philosphical issues and vice versa. Religious zealots that have no grasp on science and its application is nothing new. Have you seen Kent Hovind trying to explain the Great Flood?

Mummelmann said:
highwaystar101 said:
TheProphet said:

And that is why some of us understand that one cannot apply a scientific approach to philosphical issues and vice versa. Religious zealots that have no grasp on science and its application is nothing new. Have you seen Kent Hovind trying to explain the Great Flood?

Are you saying that the Hovind "theory" doesn't make any sense and that it is full of holes!?! How dare you! Dr Hovind's "theory" is watertight (unlike the crust of the Earth, which shot out subterranian water to the moon under the pressure of the Earth's crust, apparently).

The thing is, if religious people want religion to compete with accepted scientific theories (like many of them do), then they need to understand the structure of science. They can't just say any old stuff and expect to get away with it.