By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the 360 in trouble?

Diomedes1976 said:
Well the 360 is a viable plattform so no it wont have too much trouble .

But ,as the "console wars " go ,it just cant keep the second place for too long .The PS3 is selling strong in Eu/others and has dramatically improved its performance in Japan and NA to relatively good numbers .The NA 360 lead in weekly sales over the PS3 isnt so big (last month we have data from NPD things were like 517K PS3 against 807k 360) to counter the differences in EU and Japan in the PS3 favour .

Well, I wonder whether a lot of the reason the PS3 outsold the XBox 360 worldwide was because of a short term increase caused by all the news about Blu-Ray ...

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Diomedes1976 said:

But ,as the "console wars " go ,it just cant keep the second place for too long .The PS3 is selling strong in Eu/others and has dramatically improved its performance in Japan and NA to relatively good numbers .The NA 360 lead in weekly sales over the PS3 isnt so big (last month we have data from NPD things were like 517K PS3 against 807k 360) to counter the differences in EU and Japan in the PS3 favour .

Well, I wonder whether a lot of the reason the PS3 outsold the XBox 360 worldwide was because of a short term increase caused by all the news about Blu-Ray ...

Nope - the impact of that hasn't been seen yet (whatever it turns out to be).  The latest figures are extremely unlikely to show results of Warners move.  I don't expect much impact until the final swing takes place (i.e. either Universal or Paramount - probably Universal as Variety confirm they are no longer locked in - switch sides or Toshiba themselves throw in the towel).  At that point we'll see what impact a BR win has.

people seem to be forgetting two very important factors. with the new falcon motherboards becoming more and more common, failure rates(MS's worst problem) are going to drop qutie alot. secondly if 360 sales start to drop microsoft still has the 'big price drop' card up it's sleeve, a card Sony has already had to use.

Currently Playing: Gears 2, World at War, GTA IV, Banjo Nuts and Bolts

The Greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

MrMafoo said:
madskillz said:
I, however, see potential in the PS3, but will refrain from buying one until I see more games that I like and full BC, not software emulation.

They will never not use software emulation going forward. Just out of curiosity, why is it so important for you? It's much better BC then the 360 and you bought that console. Plus, you own a PS2.

There are just a few games I enjoy playing on my Xbox that aren't compatible with my 360. As much as I'd like to just send the Xbox packing, I can't. The same with my PS2. Oh, I love my PS2, but if I got a PS3, I want to send my PS2 out the door, or downstairs. I can carve out a space for my PS3, but it will require the PS2 to begone. And BC is very important to me. I was just playing Halo 2 for the past few days on my 360. I like games from the days of NES, and if I can keep the games and toss the system, sweet. 

MrMafoo said:
madskillz said:
I, however, see potential in the PS3, but will refrain from buying one until I see more games that I like and full BC, not software emulation.

They will never not use software emulation going forward. Just out of curiosity, why is it so important for you? It's much better BC then the 360 and you bought that console. Plus, you own a PS2.

Damn right.

Honestly, this argument about PS2 software backwards compatibility is petty and pathetic. There have yet to be any serious complaints from the hardcore or casual EU community or from 80GB PS3 owners regarding BC, and Sony has been using software BC for the PS1 since the Slim was released in 2004, so what makes you think they can't do it for PS2 BC?

As far as MS obtaining profitability with the 360, I wouldn't say it's anymore likely than Sony obtaining it with the PS3. MS may have had a profitable quarter, but that was most likely due to Halo 3. They also had a profitable quarter during the launch of Halo 2. MS may be making a profit on hardware(for the Premium anyway), but that doesn't factor in shipping, packing, storage, distribution, etc. There's also the fact that MS spends more money on advertising than both Sony AND Nintendo, and they also spend a lot more money buying exclusive content, titles, paying developers, etc. MS simply hasn't brought along enough money to cover their expenses, nor have they gotten a return on the money they've paid to developers. All the 360 has really done from that standpoint is to make money for third-party devs, not MS.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network

microsoft has a shot if it does a big price drop,like a 100$dollar one with GTA4 that should help alot and microsoft should now focus to release more games that appeal to the european market instead of japan like they been doing until now

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

HappySqurriel said:
Diomedes1976 said:

no i think its mostly because in the holidays people are willing to pay alot for gifts

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
HappySqurriel said:
Diomedes1976 said:

no i think its mostly because in the holidays people are willing to pay alot for gifts

But why were they buying more PS3s than 360s are presents?

Nidan said:

Sony will have to outsell MS by 147,000 units per week for the next year to catch MS lead by the end of 2008, which means that if MS continues the same sales numbers during 08 as 07 they would have to be selling as much as the Wii.

BINGO! And only the most diehard Sony fanboys could even conceive of this happening. At best Sony will catch up in late 2009,  but by then there's a good chance people will be talking about the XBox 720 launch in 2010.

What i find hard to believe is many people on this site are claiming Sony has had a huge boost in sales, which is true, however this was done on the back of a great plan from sony, instead of dropping the price on it lucrative bravio LCD screens, it is giving away PS3's, which have been counted in the sales numbers.

I would just say that this was a great BACK UP plan - their original plan produced an overpriced piece of hardware no one wanted. 

Moreso, this has had some effect on the momentum of Sony's PS3, however these promotions can only be short lived, until other manufacturer counter sonys plan with price reductions on their LCD screens. Launching their giveaway only 2 months from christmas allowed them to win the Christmas battle in the LCD area, while helping to promote the PS3.

If you evaluate the sales volume over the period (NOV/DEC 07) MS clearly sold more units than Sony. Interesting enough i visited a number of retailers in Australia, and found that they were completely sold out of both Wiis and 360's. They did have a sign on the wii stand saying " sorry sold of off Wiis, but plenty of PS3s so thumbs up". talking to some salespeople, they said that they had sold out od 360s before christmas and couldn't get any until the suppliers reopened after new year.

While Australia is no more indicative of the whole market than my home town, the really telling number is the overall sales. Even with a $100 price drop, 2 new models, the BR advatage, and the strong branding of the PS name, Sony still couldn't beat out the 360. The sales of high ticket items tend to dry up fast after the holidays, and right now I don't think Sony has much more room to cut with the PS3.

Im not saying that the PS3 wont outsell the 360, but if it did, i would expect it will take another 2 years of astonishing numbers, and by then the war is lost. If MS ends the generation with +/- 20% market share compared to Sony, then that is a great victory for MS.

Also anyone saying that MS blew any profit they were going to make last year with their $50 price drop is dreaming. The $50 price reduction was factored in to their plan. Also the $1 billion cost for the RROD was written off Mid last year.

Reports last year stated that MS would have either been in the black or come damn close were it not for the RROD issue. This year, they have cut the cost of the 360 with the new Falcon set (along with normal cost drops that occur with time), nearly doubled their user base, sold oodles of software AND don't have to deal with the RROD. The odds are very good that they'll be in the black this year, and wil have plenty of room to cut prices even further - maybe more than people are expecting. 

I think MS will counter strongly this year, with a large competitive game lineup, and a more competitive price. My predictions is that we will be able to see the winners and losers from this generation by the end of 2008. My forecast is as follows

At the moment, it doesn't appear that MS has as strong a lineup as Sony, but it's close enough that a curveball or two (like a delay or disppointment for a big Sony title, or a new 360 IP taking off) could change the balance.

•  Nintendo Biggest winner, with the largest amount of profit, and largest install base ( as long as they innovate over 2008)

Almost certain, and we should also start seeing some of those titles that have gone into development due to the bandwagon effect.

• MS will turn constant profits in the gaming division from Mid 2008 onwards due to their install base. They will finish the generation with a market share 10-15% lower than  Sony.

Agree with the first half, not sure of the second. I can see MS ending up between +5% over Sony, or -10% under it by the time MS switches to a new platform. Of course it is then possible for the PS3 to beat the 360 after the fact, as the SNES did to the Genesis.

• Sony will sell more units than MS by the end of the generation, however would have conceded the most amount of market share to both MS and Nintendo. They will report a small net profit from the PS3 business, but will need to change their plans for the PS4. 

The price is stil going to be a big factor with the PS3. It simply puts a ceiling on their user base. Unless Sony is desperate, I think MS will hit the mass market prices more than a year ahead of them. That's going to make it hard for Sony to keep up and still maintain a profit.

I think what we will see is a NA market that is in MS's camp, and Europe/Japan in Sony's. I think this will encourage MS to write off Japan in the near future and play hardall in the EU, hoping to do there in the next gen what they did this time in NA.

I think, barring any major shift by MS (huge price drops and major marketing moves), that the X360 will come in third.  IMO, their major problem was that RROD was just too much bad publicity for them, and killed them in Europe.  Japan, I don't believe they had any chance.

So, before any price drops, convincing potential customers that the RROD is gone should be priority #1.  If they really believe that the newer boxes are RROD-proof, allow for a trade-in at a minimal charge, throw in a game as well.  Of course, it might be too late in the generation for that drastic of measure.  (Now that seems strange to say, but ...)

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=XB&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=260

shows X360 vs XBox.  In their second year of sales, X360 did better than XBox, so I wouldn't be suprised to see that trend continue in X360 third year.  Considering how badly Xbox did in its fourth and especially the fifth year, MS has to be concerned of the X360 doing the same.  MS has to be thinking about a new box at the end of 2010.  

"Yea, I think it'll end in third. Sony have done one thing right this generation, and that is treating Europe as an important marked. Neither MS or Nintendo does that, and it's allowing Sony to get a foothold in Europe. Stupid....just stupid. "

True.  Which is rather sad, considering that Sony was last to that market this generation.  But with the sales numbers that Europe and Other are putting up, I think it will get more attention as time goes by.

"Back to my point

Ultimately, if the plan is well laid out and converged properly, then adoptance in Japan and Europe is just a matter of time as multiple systems will be levered off one another, when you buy an xbox you are buying more than just a gaming machine, you are buying a machine that will do alot more:

• Search
  • Gaming
  • Media distrubition (shoping, renting, iptv)
  • Music
  • Video
  • home automation.
  • Video calling etc."

I thought the box that did that was called a PC?

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.