Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your View on Global Releases. (Why Don't We Have More of Them?)

Tagged games:

NintendoPie said:
RolStoppable said:
Oh my god, my eyes! What kind of map is that? Since when is Latin America considered a continent?
(...)

I changed it just for you, Rol.

I have no idea what it shows now. Explain yourself.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:
This is, of course, a much bigger factor for games which are text-heavy, like JRPG's, or puzzle games, like Layton.

So, things like Pokemon (which are RPG's but have little actual discussion) might be able to get a Global Release? Pokemon is a very large franchise so I would think that would be a good idea for it. 

Sadly, I don't think so. All the names have to be translated, as do the descriptions for each 'mon, and the guides, and the descriptions, and all the other trainers...

 

It's not so big an issue as many, though.

 

I think it should be possible to do Japan then Europe/America, though. Or the other way round. If everything is translated for the EU countries, then America should follow suit quite swiftly after.



 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:
This is, of course, a much bigger factor for games which are text-heavy, like JRPG's, or puzzle games, like Layton.

So, things like Pokemon (which are RPG's but have little actual discussion) might be able to get a Global Release? Pokemon is a very large franchise so I would think that would be a good idea for it. 

Sadly, I don't think so. All the names have to be translated, as do the descriptions for each 'mon, and the guides, and the descriptions, and all the other trainers...

 

It's not so big an issue as many, though.

 

I think it should be possible to do Japan then Europe/America, though. Or the other way round. If everything is translated for the EU countries, then America should follow suit quite swiftly after.

Well, it could be done where it is released in Japan first then America and the major English Speaking Countries in Europe, later on they could make it to where Germany and Spain (etc.) would have a translated version into their language. Do you think that would work better?



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

Language (translation) is the biggest problem for simultaneous releases.
Smaller games and games with little text can be translated rather quickly, but RPGs take longer.
Layton games take very long because some riddles depend on language and/or special knowledge that might not be known in other regions. So those parts have to be adapted, which takes time.



Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:
This is, of course, a much bigger factor for games which are text-heavy, like JRPG's, or puzzle games, like Layton.

So, things like Pokemon (which are RPG's but have little actual discussion) might be able to get a Global Release? Pokemon is a very large franchise so I would think that would be a good idea for it. 

Sadly, I don't think so. All the names have to be translated, as do the descriptions for each 'mon, and the guides, and the descriptions, and all the other trainers...

 

It's not so big an issue as many, though.

 

I think it should be possible to do Japan then Europe/America, though. Or the other way round. If everything is translated for the EU countries, then America should follow suit quite swiftly after.

Well, it could be done where it is released in Japan first then America and the major English Speaking Countries in Europe, later on they could make it to where Germany and Spain (etc.) would have a translated version into their language. Do you think that would work better?

Well, not really, because every game released in the UK have to have the 5-in-1, even if it's English-speaking with the other languages merely being subtitles. 

And if you do it your way, having a RPG released in Jan. 1st 2000, you'd get the American version in June, the English version in October, the rest in Europe in February 2001 and other countries in October. That's 22 months from inital release.

TBH, the way it is now, where we wait about 5 months for most games, is perfectly fine. We'll be seeing the next Layton in September or October.



 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Not having global release dates is going to push people towards piracy. Why would they wait when they can get the game from their "Russian friend"?



Mazty said:
Not having global release dates is going to push people towards piracy. Why would they wait when they can get the game from their "Russian friend"?

True. This is one of the things I was thinking of.



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

I have to mirror Rol's objection, supposedly the map is "fixed" now but I am still at a loss as to what criteria the world is being split into.

Oh, and global releases for all games would be nice, but it's not always feasible for small budget games or small developers.



not sure about what you said with apple. they release products on different continents at the same time but therefore not every country on that continent if i'm right. as example i believe the ipad 3 came oute first in usa, japan, germany, uk , france, australia but not in countries like portugal, poland, greece and so on. but a game will release in whole europe at the same time. so it doesn't release on all continents but therefore in more countries of that continent.

maybe i'm wrong but i believe it was like this.

ahh and one apple product alone is almost bigger than the whole gaming market so it's more profitable for them to do that.



It takes time to translate and go through the bureaucracy for some games.

Oh, and your map hurts. No offense, but I cried a little.



Love and tolerate.