By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 6 New Gaming Innovations That Are Way Older Than You Think

Gamer_of_the_Year said:

Shouldn't this thread read simply "6 gaming innovations...." without the "new". I mean YOU put NEW in the thread title and then called what you just called "new" older than "we" think...lol

But you just said yourself their new lol

i didn't make the article and ripped the title directly from the source

Around the Network
Acevil said:
o_O.Q said:
Mummelmann said:
Did anyone honestly believe that the Wii invented motion contolled gaming though? I hardly think that's the case, especially not the kind of crowd who are likely to find themselves on a site like this one.

yes actually many do, many also believe nintendo brought analogue sticks to gaming first, touchscreens etc 

articles like this just go to show how little we actually know about the history of gaming and even technology in a general sense

Nope most people think Nintendo innovated technology not invented. They however do help create the market however for others to "borrow" into their products. Like Ipod gets credited for digital music player, it is was innovator, and the product that made the market, but it has small history before hand. 

(I know certain fans do act like Nintendo invented everything, but in general their accomplishments shouldn't be taken away like specific fanbase tries to take away from them)

well i can only speak from my experiences and i can honestly say that on many occasions i have seen what i mentioned before, if you disagree well thats cool

Cracked.com is awesome. I can spend hours on that site reading articles.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

tagged for future Sony copied this and that threads

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

good read. This goes to show you that timing is everything.

Around the Network

I knowed about MUDs obviously - I play them. Not often today, but that's a lot of fun if you like adventure-games and RPG and cool graphics is not that important. There are hundreds of MUDs out there, they cost nothing. But a very cool thing is, that they can be expanded dynamically. So new quests, monsters, NPCs etc. are added over time. You can play them without an end. That's why Multi Undergraduate Destroyer is a matching title. Try http://www.mudconnect.com/

That "touch-screen" seems not to be a real touch-screen. The name light-pen and the wiring of the pen to the console show, that they use another technology. CRTs (the technology the old bulky TVs use) is using a ray, that illuminates a pixel on the screen. Strong magnetic field deflect this ray, so it hits different pixels. It will be lead around the full screen, to hit each pixel, and the intensity of the ray is changed to make the pixel brighter or darker. Over time the pixel is getting darker, until it is hit again from the ray. That's why these things flicker. A "light-pen" has a simple camera, to detect this brightness refresh. If it is known which pixel is illuminated in this moment, you can reconstruct the position on the screen, the pen is pointing to. So no touch, but an early pointing device. But the use-cases are very similar.

The LCD-3D-thing is looking great. But I remember such LCD-games (not in 3D, I didn't know about that thing), and the gameplay is restricted, as the screen cannot be filled freely.

And who doesn't want to be the "Friend of Dolphins".

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]