By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The importance of Xenoblade Chronicles

Tagged games:

Xenoblade Chronicles, like The Last Story, is overhyped and overrated JRPG game JUST because it's for the Wii. After playing both, none of these two games are better than Star Ocean 4/Lost Odyssey on the 360 or FF13-2 on the PS3 in quality or story and overall, which I would compare to. Xenoblade does not represent anything new in the JRPG market.

Around the Network

I love star ocean, and one of the best features is the battle system of the series. The extremely active combo based attacks make for a different experience that some RPGfans prefer. Teo, I think this speaks to your tastes. This game has much more in common with an mmorpg, so obviously some won't prefer it. I enjoy this game quite a bit. The first JRPG since Star Ocean Til The End of Time to really Keep me interested the whole time and surprise me with it's landscapes. I disliked Final Fantasy XIII's halls and corridors world so much that I stopped playing it. I do need to get back to it because it is a final fantasy, but I digress. Give xenoblade a try, it's massive scale will impress you if nothing else.

Yes. This is a game that would be insanely gorgeous if rendered in Xbox or ps graphics, but honestly, the art style, and grand scale make up for its not high def graphics. It's a great game, don't let misconceptions deter you from playing it.

Teo said:
Xenoblade Chronicles, like The Last Story, is overhyped and overrated JRPG game JUST because it's for the Wii. After playing both, none of these two games are better than Star Ocean 4/Lost Odyssey on the 360 or FF13-2 on the PS3 in quality or story and overall, which I would compare to. Xenoblade does not represent anything new in the JRPG market.

Except that Xenoblade is better in quality and story than the games you mentioned, and represents a non-linear style of JRPG that is all too rare these days.

See? Isn't it great when someone states their opinion as fact?

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
Teo said:

Except that Xenoblade is better in quality and story than the games you mentioned, and represents a non-linear style of JRPG that is all too rare these days.

Lost odyssey and ffxiii-2 are both non linear and they are both good, it's ffxiii that was disappointing not ffxii2 that game is fun.

PullusPardus said:
F0X said:
Teo said:

Lost odyssey and ffxiii-2 are both non linear and they are both good, it's ffxiii that was disappointing not ffxii2 that game is fun.

Compared to Xenoblade, they aren't very open. I don't even want to think about FFXIII-2 (the story was somehow worse than the first). Lost Odyssey is the only other really awesome console JRPG this gen (though I have half a mind to count Dark Souls), but I think Xenoblade wins by wrapping up its story and gameplay all on one disc. A Wii disk, to boot. Lost Odyssey dragged on for quite a while.

I love stating my opinion as fact in order to make a point that isn't getting across.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Conegamer said:
Not bad, but I think it would have been better had you played the game...

And what was wrong with my thread? You merely need to check the poll in that thread or a selection of posts to see just how much people are enjoying the game, and how 'important' it is...

...... Are you talking to me? You know I did not write this right? Last time I wrote an actual thread was 2010.

I was close! But Gamestop gives you zilch when it comes to trade ins! I actually feel like I will play it too!

With Gamestop you have to be patient and wait for the right deals to come along. For example, today I traded in MLB 12 The Show (Vita) and Uncharted Golden Abyss. Together both of these games cost you ~$90. I got back $30 for Uncharted and $24 for MLB The Show since it was a "Trade towards pre-owned and get an additional 50%.

Doing that got me the 50%, then with my Pro Rewards card I got back another 10% on top of that. Then I got Sonic Generations used and Rayman Origins PS3 new. I ended up with $12 left over after that. With the card I also got 10% off used games, so I had %'s all over the place. Works nice when you get 10% for trading (1) in and then another 10% when buying used. Plus I probably earned some points today which I will trade in for some PSN Cards to buy a new PSP RPG on my Vita.

So in the end I traded (2) used games for (1) New and (1) Used and also a new subscription for my Pro Rewards, which comes with the Game Informer sub for 1-year. All while costing me nothing but 10 minutes of my time.

If you are not patient and wait for the right deal to come along then you will will get robbed on the prices when doing trades.

However, this is about Xenoblade, and for that you should no doubt get robbed on the prices of trades if it enables you to get this wonder of a JRPG. One of the best titles I have played this generation.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Well, i bought it, so lets see what the big deal is (after i get through the finale of Sacred Stones and run through Kid Icarus)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

KeptoKnight said:

I dont know whether to play this or not...
i want to play a game that I can sympathize with the character like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Mass Effect any others?

What about Xenoblade how is it?

The characters, writing, and scripted events in this game are obscenely well done. Mostly with a subtly and intelligence you don't usually find in JRPG's. You'll get a few kneejerk 'lol tropes' players, but that's because they don't really have the capacity to critically evaluate a game. If you like the above, you'll be fucking blow away by Xenoblade.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Teo said:

Nope. I'll dispense with personal opinion and just say--by any objective critical criteria you could use to evaluate a JRPG, Xenoblade is considerably better than Lost Odyssey and miles beyond Star Ocean, FF XIII-2, etc. Only other RPGs that come close in the past 5 years would be World Ends With You and Tales of Vesperia.

Which of course you'll just counter with ''blah blah my opinion'' to which I say--you claim that Xenoblade "does not represent anything new in the JRPG market". This exposes such a gapingly ignorant awareness of JRPGs, the market, and Xenoblade that I can only say that your opinion is invalid. Everybody is entitled to an informed opinion. Otherwise it's just bullshit.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

KeptoKnight said:

I dont know whether to play this or not...
i want to play a game that I can sympathize with the character like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Mass Effect any others?

What about Xenoblade how is it

The characters, writing, and scripted events in this game are obscenely well done. Mostly with a subtly and intelligence you don't usually find in JRPG's. You'll get a few kneejerk 'lol tropes' players, but that's because they don't really have the capacity to critically evaluate a game. If you like the above, you'll be fucking blow away by Xenoblade.

I am going to play it after I finish Assassins Creed Rev. I forgot to mention I loved Dragon Quest 5.

i am going to play Xenoblade first then Dragon quest IX DS.