By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The importance of Xenoblade Chronicles

Tagged games:

Obviously what I say is my opinion, do I have to say it after every sentence? It's 2012.

Apparently saying a game is overrated means the game sucks to a lot of you. I bought the game, which means it's good enough already. I only buy games I know I like and I can tell what I like pretty quickly with ZERO influence from any publication or score.

That being said, this game is average. The script and dialogue is generic at best, these problems plague almost every game anyways. Like Star Ocean 4 and Lost Odyssey. The story is mildly interesting and I already know roughly where it's going and how it will end.

I find it amusing how the mmorpg style is being praised left and right when FFXII was criticized for having it (and once something "bad" about a game is dragged, everything else gets thrown under the bus as well). WKC was severely criticized for its crappy battle system but the mmorpg style was brought up to bash the game some more.

Now if you Nintendo defenders* excuse me, I have an average JRPG game to finish and shelf along my imported copy of the average Last Story.

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
Teo said:
Xenoblade Chronicles, like The Last Story, is overhyped and overrated JRPG game JUST because it's for the Wii. After playing both, none of these two games are better than Star Ocean 4/Lost Odyssey on the 360 or FF13-2 on the PS3 in quality or story and overall, which I would compare to. Xenoblade does not represent anything new in the JRPG market.

Nope. I'll dispense with personal opinion and just say--by any objective critical criteria you could use to evaluate a JRPG, Xenoblade is considerably better than Lost Odyssey and miles beyond Star Ocean, FF XIII-2, etc. Only other RPGs that come close in the past 5 years would be World Ends With You and Tales of Vesperia.

Which of course you'll just counter with ''blah blah my opinion'' to which I say--you claim that Xenoblade "does not represent anything new in the JRPG market". This exposes such a gapingly ignorant awareness of JRPGs, the market, and Xenoblade that I can only say that your opinion is invalid. Everybody is entitled to an informed opinion. Otherwise it's just bullshit.

I imported from europe in the fall an dplayed it on dolphin and its gorgeous.

It depends what you look for in a JRPG. I mean, I think Persona 3, and 4 had a better story, characters, battlesystem, challenge which imo made them better games. 

However those games get repetetive, and xenoblades extremely open and beautiful and more open then pretty much any other JRPG in existence. It's extremely long, but that's where the improvements stop for me. Like FF13 it lacks minigames which would have enhanced the world, the battle system locks you into one party member something Persona 3 and FF13 was heavily cricized for,, the warning animations are annoying. The AI's pretty dumb land sometimes attacks the wrong thing, and it doesn't have quite the customization of games with similar battle systems like Dragon Age and FF12 with gambit systems which take the place of an AI.

Trails in the story's dialogue and characters I find much more charming. The story's alright, but it's worse than xenosaga 1 or 3, despite being a much better game. It's tied for my 4th favorite JRPG this gen, behind TWEWY, DQV and TiTS, It's a great game, but it's got issues that are quantifiable and bug certain people a different amount. 

edit: I'm not saying that my other favorite JRPG's don't have flaws they most definitely do, and I can definetly see how some people could think xenoblade is the best game ever etc.

Teo said:
Obviously what I say is my opinion, do I have to say it after every sentence? It's 2012.

Apparently saying a game is overrated means the game sucks to a lot of you. I bought the game, which means it's good enough already. I only buy games I know I like and I can tell what I like pretty quickly with ZERO influence from any publication or score.

That being said, this game is average. The script and dialogue is generic at best, these problems plague almost every game anyways. Like Star Ocean 4 and Lost Odyssey. The story is mildly interesting and I already know roughly where it's going and how it will end.

I find it amusing how the mmorpg style is being praised left and right when FFXII was criticized for having it (and once something "bad" about a game is dragged, everything else gets thrown under the bus as well). WKC was severely criticized for its crappy battle system but the mmorpg style was brought up to bash the game some more.

Now if you Nintendo defenders* excuse me, I have an average JRPG game to finish and shelf along my imported copy of the average Last Story.

Like I said the first time in response to you, I think that this game just doesn't match up with your interests in RPGs.  It is very different from most JRPGs of yore, and especially if you like a more involved battle experience, the auto-attacking is going to not sit well with you.  I don't share your gripes with the story, I like it a lot so far, but if does roughly follow the same template that all JRPGs follow, so I can see where you have your misgivings.  

What I don't understand is your complaining about people's reactions to your posts, you are stating your opinion, but you are obviously trolling with some of your statements about the game.  If you don't want Nintendo-Maniacs jumping down your throat, don't insult them at every turn, simple enough. I find your opinion honest and open, you don't share the out right love for XBC that I do, but you also don't hate it as you are going to finish it.  However, if you don't want people to over react to your posts, you would be well served to not use hyperbole as much.

Oh, and don't call people idiots, some of the mods have sticks up their asses about that and you will get banned.  I know you didnt yet, but if you do, ban hammer.  Now, what are the odds of me being banned for that last comment?

Plezbo said:
Teo said:

Like I said the first time in response to you, I think that this game just doesn't match up with your interests in RPGs.  It is very different from most JRPGs of yore, and especially if you like a more involved battle experience, the auto-attacking is going to not sit well with you.  I don't share your gripes with the story, I like it a lot so far, but if does roughly follow the same template that all JRPGs follow, so I can see where you have your misgivings.  

What I don't understand is your complaining about people's reactions to your posts, you are stating your opinion, but you are obviously trolling with some of your statements about the game.  If you don't want Nintendo-Maniacs jumping down your throat, don't insult them at every turn, simple enough. I find your opinion honest and open, you don't share the out right love for XBC that I do, but you also don't hate it as you are going to finish it.  However, if you don't want people to over react to your posts, you would be well served to not use hyperbole as much.

Oh, and don't call people idiots, some of the mods have sticks up their asses about that and you will get banned.  I know you didnt yet, but if you do, ban hammer.  Now, what are the odds of me being banned for that last comment?

If you read what I said carefully you will see I didn't call or implyied anyone was an idiot for attacking my opinion, and I'm definately not complaining or in a sour mood, just imagine a happy face after every thing I say.

My only discontent is the undeserving praise of the game and the medicore state of RPGs this gen.

Teo said:

The reason you're being called out for having opinions is because they aren't relevant in this discussiong. We're talking about Xenoblade's importance within the JRPG genre. Your opinion of the game has no bearing here. It's like this

Person A: Avatar had a pretty huge impact on the movie industry. Look at the flood of 3D movies after that!

Teo: no way lol i fukken hated avatar.

Person A: That doesn't matter. That's your opinion. It means nothing. We're discussing the importance of Avatar within the film industry.

Teo: Other shit had 3d and the story was boring!

Person A: Can we maybe discuss this with at least a semblance of critical objectivity?

Xenoblade is flawed. It is imperfect. It is, however, a very well designed and produced game that notably reconciles the JRPG format with newer trends in gaming; it does this, for the most part, in innovative and effective ways (which you disinegenuosly reduce to "MMORPG style". It is high profile thanks to metascores, whether or not they're deserved. It will, to some extent, impact the future development of JRPGs. You not liking the game doesn't change this. 

& cut out the "nintendo defenders shit". Nobody but fifteen year old kids blindly defend some corporate entertainment product. It's a lame card to try and pull: senselessly reduce the other person with made up accustaions because your own arguments don't hold water.  I play games broadly and indiscriminately, which seems to be more than you can claim. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network
Teo said:

Apparently saying a game is overrated means the game sucks to a lot of you (no, saying it 'brings nothing new to the genre' annoys me, because it shows a lack of capacity to critically discuss a game's place within an established canon.) I bought the game, which means it's good enough already (well thank god it has your approval,). I only buy games I know I like (gee you must be pretty good at guessing what games are like before you buy them) and I can tell what I like (key: what you like. we're discussing its place within the JRPG genre as a whole, not 'what Teo likes') pretty quickly with ZERO influence from any publication or score (this is actually cognitively impossible; the only way to have ZERO influence is to not know something exists. preconceptions are inevitable neurological phenomena. that said--I know what you're trying to say. Surprise! I do that too. So do most people. Liking the game doesn't mean I'm making my decisions thanks to other people.)

That being said, this game is average (to you.)The script and dialogue is generic at best, these problems plague almost every game anyways (or: you don't like the script/dialogue. would you like to explain how they're generic at best?) Like Star Ocean 4 and Lost Odyssey. The story is mildly interesting and I already know roughly where it's going and how it will end (this is also irrellevant since we're discussing its impact on the genre as a whole, not how much you happened to enjoy the story). 

I find it amusing (amusing? clearly you are aloof and wise)how the mmorpg style (would you care to expand on what this 'style' is?)is being praised left and right (by who? me?)when FFXII was criticized for having it  (by who? same people who are praising Xenogears? I loved XII)(and once something "bad" about a game is dragged, everything else gets thrown under the bus as well)(This is irrellevant and not neccesarily true). WKC was severely criticized for its crappy battle system(WKC suffered from poor gameplay design all around. A game does not start and end at its battle system). but the mmorpg style (stop using this like it's a hard absolute thing that is used the same way in every game)was brought up to bash the game some more (okay sure but whatever, nothing to do with Xenoblade)

Now if you Nintendo defenders* (nobody has defended Nintendo. wtf does liking Xenoblade have to do with Nintendo?)excuse me, I have an average JRPG game to finish and shelf along my imported copy of the average Last Story. (Why the presumption that liking Xenoblade=liking Last Story? Oh right because you paint other people in broad cartoon strokes)

Here. This is why people argue with you. Because your posts are loaded with nonsense as illustrated by underlined commentary.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Teo said:

If you read what I said carefully you will see I didn't call or implyied anyone was an idiot for attacking my opinion, and I'm definately not complaining or in a sour mood, just imagine a happy face after every thing I say.

My only discontent is the undeserving praise of the game and the medicore state of RPGs this gen.

I know man, I was joking, sorry. 

I really like this game, the world entraps me.  It's just such a cool thing for me.  In any other way it contains nothing unseen or unheard of in a game before, just maybe not in this configuration.  You aren't impressed, cool.  I can hear you on the state of RPGs though.  On SNES and PS there were so many cool, innovative RPGs to devour. Around the PS2 era, FMVs definitely took over from every facet, and budgets exploded for RPGs.  If you didn't have those killer CGI FF clone story interludes, you wouldn't get the media attention or the sales.  After FF7, it seemed possible that if you made a game with epic movies, it would have epic sales.  In RPGs, which were already story heavy, it didn't seem like cheating to advertise cutscenes as part of the gameplay experience.  Around this time, at least for me, RPGs lost their way, and for the most part, this trend has continued through to this day.

I find Xenoblade to be a great example of one that breaks through the modern malaise.  But I can vouch that recent games in the genre have been less than average for the most part.

blaydcor said:
Teo said:

Apparently saying a game is overrated means the game sucks to a lot of you (no, saying it 'brings nothing new to the genre' annoys me, because it shows a lack of capacity to critically discuss a game's place within an established canon.) I bought the game, which means it's good enough already (well thank god it has your approval,). I only buy games I know I like (gee you must be pretty good at guessing what games are like before you buy them) and I can tell what I like (key: what you like. we're discussing its place within the JRPG genre as a whole, not 'what Teo likes') pretty quickly with ZERO influence from any publication or score (this is actually cognitively impossible; the only way to have ZERO influence is to not know something exists. preconceptions are inevitable neurological phenomena. that said--I know what you're trying to say. Surprise! I do that too. So do most people. Liking the game doesn't mean I'm making my decisions thanks to other people.)

That being said, this game is average (to you.)The script and dialogue is generic at best, these problems plague almost every game anyways (or: you don't like the script/dialogue. would you like to explain how they're generic at best?) Like Star Ocean 4 and Lost Odyssey. The story is mildly interesting and I already know roughly where it's going and how it will end (this is also irrellevant since we're discussing its impact on the genre as a whole, not how much you happened to enjoy the story). 

I find it amusing (amusing? clearly you are aloof and wise)how the mmorpg style (would you care to expand on what this 'style' is?)is being praised left and right (by who? me?)when FFXII was criticized for having it  (by who? same people who are praising Xenogears? I loved XII)(and once something "bad" about a game is dragged, everything else gets thrown under the bus as well)(This is irrellevant and not neccesarily true). WKC was severely criticized for its crappy battle system(WKC suffered from poor gameplay design all around. A game does not start and end at its battle system). but the mmorpg style (stop using this like it's a hard absolute thing that is used the same way in every game)was brought up to bash the game some more (okay sure but whatever, nothing to do with Xenoblade)

Now if you Nintendo defenders* (nobody has defended Nintendo. wtf does liking Xenoblade have to do with Nintendo?)excuse me, I have an average JRPG game to finish and shelf along my imported copy of the average Last Story. (Why the presumption that liking Xenoblade=liking Last Story? Oh right because you paint other people in broad cartoon strokes)

Here. This is why people argue with you. Because your posts are loaded with nonsense as illustrated by underlined commentary.

Thank you for underlining your assumed opinion on what I meant right after my opinon you didn't comprend.

It added so much to the conversation.

At least Plezbo undertands what I wrote and you just put words in my mouth.

Teo said:
blaydcor said:

commentary.

Thank you for underlining your assumed opinion on what I meant right after my opinon you didn't comprend.

My point is that we're talking about the significance of Xenoblade within the JRPG canon/market. Your opinion and enjoyment of it means jack shit. It is irrellevant within this context; it's equally irrellevant that I enjoyed it. 

I completely understand what you're saying. I don't know <i>why</i> you're saying it, since it's not what we're trying to discuss. And I don't know why you insist on saying it in an inflammatory, absolutist way. That's not how you critically unpack a game. Shit gets annoying. 

blaydcor said:
Teo said:
blaydcor said:

commentary.

My point is that we're talking about the significance of Xenoblade within the JRPG canon/market. Your opinion and enjoyment of it means jack shit. It is irrellevant within this context; it's equally irrellevant that I enjoyed it. 

I completely understand what you're saying. I don't know why you're saying it, since it's not what we're trying to discuss. And I don't know why you insist on saying it in an inflammatory, absolutist way. That's not how you critically unpack a game. Shit gets annoying. 

You are just defending the game by saying that my opinion is irreleveant to the discussion when my opinion is more inclusive of everything else in the JRPG genre. Enjoying the game has everythign to do with it.

Here is a clue, this game has no more importance in the JRPG market than Star Ocean 4 or Infinite Undiscovery do. The only importance this game holds is the JRPG genre on the Wii console.