By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 to have the most million sellers by the end of the gen

Chris Hu said:
Turkish said:
selnor said:
Not sure why 1 million sellers is the focus.

Software in general for the 2 360 is eating PS3 alive. PS3 has no chance of selling more software than the 360. That doesn't include the huge digital sales 360 gets either compared to the lackluster PSN sales.

Uh no, it is certain PS3 is closing the gap in software numbers. Sony releases how many PS3 games have been shipped, Microsoft don't. The numbers could be very close.

Its totally irrelavant how many games Sony ships since it only makes money if the game actually sells a lot of those games shipped will eventually be send back to Sony if they are not sold.

No. Sold=sold to Sony, shipped games do not go back to Sony, thats why when a game sells like shit it gets pricecuts. And yes, shipped IS relevant becoz those are the only official numbers we get. Eventough not all shipped games are actually sold, the shipped numbers still increase becoz of new games, wich means actual sold to customer increase aswell.

Around the Network

I think so, depends on PS3 outlasting the 360 though...

Both consoles are gonna get pretty much the same support from 3rd parties, other than rare occasions. These games are starting to sell similarly too. It's gonna come down to 1st Party support. Sony pump out more exclusives, so logic would dictate that the PS3 will slowly but surely catch the 360 number.

Chris Hu said:
When it comes to total software sold both the 360 and the PS3 will be stuck in the slot that they are at now 5th and 6th place. The DS has a slight change of surpassing the Wii in total software sales but the gap between the DS and 360 is to large for the 360 to overtake. Like wise the gap between the 360 and PS3 is to large for the PS3 to overtake the 360. If everything goes right for the PS3 the rest of this generation then it might narrow the 88.41 million sales gap by 30 million but who knows since the 360 has still one of its biggest sellers in Halo 4 coming out this November. Also total software sales is much more important then the number of million seller since MS, Nintendo and Sony don't get paid more if a game sells more then a million copies as a matter of fact a game that sells over a million copies is much more likely to sell a lager amount of its total sales at discount prices and has a higher change of being bundled.

there are a couple of issues with you logic that I need to point out ( including your previous post to):

-360 games are undertracked, but by that logic some PS3 games are harder to track outside of the US, and Sony is also offering DD. SO I dont see how thats an advantage for MS.

- big japanese games often pass the million mark WW, while they struggle to pass the half million mark on the 360.

- Sony has no big seller as Halo, but it has far more games lined up that could cross the million mark.

- some western games sell far more on the 360... that doesnt stop the PS3 version to push over a million sales ( ME, Borderlands, Skyrim etc.).

- Halo 4 will sell less then the next CoD on the 360 alone, like it or not. Also, sales will be cannibalized by eachother...

So overall (except my halo argument) IMO all signs point that the PS3 will easily pass the # off million sellers the 360 will have LT, and worst case Im seeing the LT software sales to be in the 50 million mark LT from eachother, but I wouldent be surprised if when all is said and done theer will be a virtual tie ( just as Im expecting on the HW front).

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Turkish said:
Chris Hu said:
Turkish said:
selnor said:

Software in general for the 2 360 is eating PS3 alive. PS3 has no chance of selling more software than the 360. That doesn't include the huge digital sales 360 gets either compared to the lackluster PSN sales.

Uh no, it is certain PS3 is closing the gap in software numbers. Sony releases how many PS3 games have been shipped, Microsoft don't. The numbers could be very close.

Its totally irrelavant how many games Sony ships since it only makes money if the game actually sells a lot of those games shipped will eventually be send back to Sony if they are not sold.

No. Sold=sold to Sony, shipped games do not go back to Sony, thats why when a game sells like shit it gets pricecuts. And yes, shipped IS relevant becoz those are the only official numbers we get. Eventough not all shipped games are actually sold, the shipped numbers still increase becoz of new games, wich means actual sold to customer increase aswell.

I guess you never worked in retail.  Unsold invetory like games and movies will eventually be send back to manufactures if all unsold games would be heavily discounded as soon as they are not sold then their would be no incentive for consumers to buy new merchandise.  Trust me a lot of unsold inventory gets send back to manufactures which then send it to none mainstream retailers and outlet chains that sell it at a heavily discounted price.  Or if a game really bombs like ET on the Atari 2600 it will just get destoyed and dumbed somewhere.

Chris Hu said:
Turkish said:
Chris Hu said:
Turkish said:
selnor said:

I guess you never worked in retail.  Unsold invetory like games and movies will eventually be send back to manufactures if all unsold games would be heavily discounded as soon as they are not sold then their would be no incentive for consumers to buy new merchandise.  Trust me a lot of unsold inventory gets send back to manufactures which then send it to none mainstream retailers and outlet chains that sell it at a heavily discounted price.  Or if a game really bombs like ET on the Atari 2600 it will just get destoyed and dumbed somewhere.

yeah, but games never go back to Sony or publishers. Sold=sold

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Chris Hu said:
Turkish said:
Chris Hu said:
Turkish said:
selnor said:

yeah, but games never go back to Sony or publishers. Sold=sold

Shipped does not mean sold.  I worked in retail before and unsold inventory does get send back to manufactures all the time don't believe me ask some people that work in retail about it.  Did you even read my response.  Also I guess you never heard about ET on the Atari 2600 million of unsold copies got destroyed and buried in a New Mexico landfill.  Unsold merchandise gets send back, dumbed or destroyed all the time the only think that doesn't apply to is big pieces of merchandise like automobiles.  Also like I said before their would be no incentive for customers to buy new merchandise if all they had to do is wait a couple of weeks for every unsold piece of merchandise to be heavily discounted.

Ail said:
scorptile said:
ok so how many games in the next few months will be million sellers for ps3 cause if anyone doesnt realize the next gen starts when the "Wii U" hits shelves, and current gen is considered over.

That is opened for debate......

Here is the trailing 12 month software revenue in the US per console.

As you can see, PS3 and Xbox360 are not really in huge decline mode....

If they peaked it was actually very very recently...

O god those PSP numbers.

I knew it was bad but, holy jeebus.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

I miss the time when PS3 only had 5 million sellers after one year and that people made predictions that PS3 will never come close 'with total million sellers' as Wii and for sure X360...

Millenium said:
I don't see if happening tbh.

What? How? Even I see it and I'm one of those Nintendo Zombies.

NintendoPie said:
Millenium said:
I don't see if happening tbh.

What? How? Even I see it and I'm one of those Nintendo Zombies.

Noted for later harassment.