By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox 360 a Success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes it is. 333 77.26%

No it isn't. 68 15.78%

I love it when you recycle, d21! 30 6.96%

Total:431

Only one thing has come to mind that wasn't a success to me as a rather big 360/MS fanboy (making the recent pledge that the PSP will be most likely my last Sony product.) - reliability.

I don't mind sinking in $35 a year for Live (that's what I've paid pretty much every year, or less, thanks to online card deals). I am a bit peeved to spend so much on the hardware itself. I've had two controllers go crappy on me since launch, and will probably be getting 360 #3 in the future. First 360 lasted near 4 years but got the RROD. I then sold the re-furb to a friend of mine for $100, but turned around and had to spend near $280 on a elite (so basically spend $180).

Now the newer "slim" systems have a bigger hard drive and come in sexy editions (see the Starwars one or Gears one) and I'll probably be spending close to $400 on a new system. So I've basically spent a good grand just on hardware alone which is more expensive then the PS3. Knowing the low failure rate of Wii's and PS3's the 360 is probably the most expensive system to date... if you have the luck I do (and probably others do, considering the system has been out for so long).

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
VGKing said:
UltimateUnknown said:

A lot of people here may not care, but the 360 has seriously changed the way many people play their console games with Xbox Live. I would even say the 360 made online gaming relevant and mainstream on consoles. XBL is the gold standard for how an online gaming service is to be run on consoles.

So no, its not just a success commercially and in profitability, but its also a machine that has majorly changed the gaming landscape if you look at the current gaming trends.

PS3 has online as well though. So if somehow Microsoft decided to not make a succesor to the original XBox, PS3 would have been the online gaming platform of choice worldwide.

I think that the 360 success in America is both a blessing and a curse. Things can easily change each gen so if MS doesn't get 360 up and running in Japan and the other European countries, they could be in trouble is the PS4 or Wii U ends up taking America.

If you look back at the online capabilities of consoles. MS provided almost everything first. 

First online service to provide a flawless system. (XBOX)

First to provide online games. (XBOX)

First to provide on demand TV. (360)

First to provide on-demand Movies. (360)

First to provide live TV shows. (360)

Alien front online for the dreamcast says , what? to the bolded                                 .

NetLink for Saturn says, what? to the bolded :P

I LOVE ICELAND!

Wagram said:
Am I the only person that picked "no" on all of these threads?

Why would you though?

360 was a success (not as big as it could have been with better marketing in some other countires than uk and usa). after the first box i did fear the next fast death when i bought my 360 at release but it went to be a succesful story for years. and i don't believe microsoft failed in japan. i just believe nobody will be succesful in japan if they have competitiors from their own country.

the whole car market in japan is only japanese cars. i believe foreign cars are only 5% of the whole market. if they have the chance to chose between japanese or western product they chose the japanese one. maybe nike and adidas are succesful there but if there would be a big japanese shoe company with worldwide succes i think nike and adidas wouldn't have a chance in japan.

maybe i'm wrong but i think that's how it works there, you can't compete against their own products when they are strong in that category.

but vice versa japanese car manufacturers are very succesful in usa. same with consoles/handhelds. so i think us-americans buy more foreign stuff than japanese customers do.

maybe apple but apple is another category, they are that "i have to have it" company which works almost on the whole planet whyever.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
VGKing said:
UltimateUnknown said:

A lot of people here may not care, but the 360 has seriously changed the way many people play their console games with Xbox Live. I would even say the 360 made online gaming relevant and mainstream on consoles. XBL is the gold standard for how an online gaming service is to be run on consoles.

So no, its not just a success commercially and in profitability, but its also a machine that has majorly changed the gaming landscape if you look at the current gaming trends.

PS3 has online as well though. So if somehow Microsoft decided to not make a succesor to the original XBox, PS3 would have been the online gaming platform of choice worldwide.

I think that the 360 success in America is both a blessing and a curse. Things can easily change each gen so if MS doesn't get 360 up and running in Japan and the other European countries, they could be in trouble is the PS4 or Wii U ends up taking America.

If you look back at the online capabilities of consoles. MS provided almost everything first. 

1. Huh? You mean on consoles? Because PC did it first.
2. Actually Dreamcast had the first online games....
3. I'm pretty sure you can buy TV shows on PSN as well. 
4. Netflix, VUDU, Hulu, Amazon Instand Video, all on PS3. I guess 360 was the first to do Netflix? I don't remember.
5. Live TV shows? Like what?

Around the Network
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
VGKing said:
UltimateUnknown said:

The first two are right and Microsoft should be commended for it, but the multimedia capabilities that you listed came to the Wii (some of them), PS3 and Xbox 360 roughly at the same time, and it was all down to third party companies.

zero129 said:
VGKing said:
Financially successful? Well I gotta say yeah. It has been for years.
Did it live up to MS expectations? I would say no. They have been stuck in 2nd place all gen in will drop to 3rd in ~2 years.
Did it provide the type of games that justified its existence? I guess so.

Is the 360 the underdog console that overcame all odds to become a hit or is the 360 the console that had all of the potential to be king, only to be overtaken in sales and games by its rivals? The latter.

So taking into account the RROD epidemic, I would still say the 360 has been successful. But I still don't think Microsoft is happy with it. It could have been so much more.

It sold almost 3 times the amount the original Xbox sold, i would say in MS eys it was a big success, they also kept the PS3 in 3rd place for over 5-6 years also a big success from what the PS3 came from. No point in trying to downplay the 360's success VGKing as its just not going to happen. It was the Underdog as almost everyone thought once the PS3 launched it was going to destory the 360 well look here we are today and guess who is still in 2nd place?.

Even if it did drop to 3rd place it still done better then the PS3 as it has made MS money, The PS3 has lost all the money the PS1+2 ever made.

Also to you're other comment about online

If it wasn't for MS and the Original Xbox and Sony seeing how well online was on the 360 i bet they would of left it as an after thought just like they did on the PS2. So yes it was a huge success for MS in everyway

Not downplaying anything. XBox 360 is an extremely successful console. But the RROD epidemic really held it back. The price hasn't changed since 2009 as well...if Microsoft kept the price as low as possible and if RROD never happened, the 360 would have surpassed the Wii by now.

But Microsoft seems to be only focused on profit right now. Do they really need to though? Getting a really cheap 360 out there and increasing brand awareness and marketshare to the poing of total domination could have been possible. Microsoft just isn't trying hard enough. 

I wish I could find the video but I remember before the 360 launched, X-Play went to Japan and asked people if they would buy the Xbox 360. Everybody was saying "No". The Subtitles were halarious!

*in Japanese with subtitles*
Reporter: "What is it going to take for you to buy an Xbox 360?"
Japanese Civilian: "If it is called the Playstation 3."

Next person
Reporter: "Are you going to buy an Xbox 360?"
Japanese Civilian: *nods head* "Aye." *subtitle: "No."

VGKing said:
zero129 said:
VGKing said:
Financially successful? Well I gotta say yeah. It has been for years.
Did it live up to MS expectations? I would say no. They have been stuck in 2nd place all gen in will drop to 3rd in ~2 years.
Did it provide the type of games that justified its existence? I guess so.

Is the 360 the underdog console that overcame all odds to become a hit or is the 360 the console that had all of the potential to be king, only to be overtaken in sales and games by its rivals? The latter.

So taking into account the RROD epidemic, I would still say the 360 has been successful. But I still don't think Microsoft is happy with it. It could have been so much more.

It sold almost 3 times the amount the original Xbox sold, i would say in MS eys it was a big success, they also kept the PS3 in 3rd place for over 5-6 years also a big success from what the PS3 came from. No point in trying to downplay the 360's success VGKing as its just not going to happen. It was the Underdog as almost everyone thought once the PS3 launched it was going to destory the 360 well look here we are today and guess who is still in 2nd place?.

Even if it did drop to 3rd place it still done better then the PS3 as it has made MS money, The PS3 has lost all the money the PS1+2 ever made.

Also to you're other comment about online

If it wasn't for MS and the Original Xbox and Sony seeing how well online was on the 360 i bet they would of left it as an after thought just like they did on the PS2. So yes it was a huge success for MS in everyway

Now downplaying anything. XBox 360 is an extremely successful console. But the RROD epidemic really held it back. The price hasn't changed since 2009 as well...if Microsoft kept the price as low as possible and if RROD never happened, the 360 would have surpassed the Wii by now.

But Microsoft seems to be only focused on profit right now. Do they really need to though? Getting a really cheap 360 out there and increasing brand awareness and marketshare to the poing of total domination could have been possible. Microsoft just isn't trying hard enough. 

I know it's hard for you and other Sony fans to understand why a business making bank is important, but it is.

zero129 said:
KungKras said:
mjk45 said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
VGKing said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Alien front online for the dreamcast says , what? to the bolded                                 .

NetLink for Saturn says, what? to the bolded :P

Can we just say the Xbox was the first success in console online gaming? xD

They certainly were the first to make it mainstream on consoles.

I LOVE ICELAND!